It is currently: May 03, '24, 3:13 am

WWE to have a 30 man Cruiserweight Tournament

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

WWE to have a 30 man Cruiserweight Tournament

Postby DBSoT » Feb 16, '16, 3:45 pm

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/WWE ... eries.html

WWE was announcing their WWE Network line up for the summer and one of the things added was the announcement of a 30 man Cruiserweight tournament. It sounds like it will be a world wide tournament. So it will be more then just WWE contracted employees. It will be interesting to see who WWE gets to compete in this.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 218

Re: WWE to have a 30 man Cruiserweight Tournament

Postby The Legend » Feb 16, '16, 4:15 pm

This could be awesome, hopefully they can bring back the CW belt and merge the IC and US belts, since the CW belt would bring something different and fresh to their product, rather than the repetitive nature of the current two midcard belts for male singles competitors.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 16, '16, 5:51 pm

Oh man this would be so awesome if we weren't in the midst of 2016 WWE.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 16, '16, 5:55 pm

VaderBomb wrote:Oh man this would be so awesome if we weren't in the midst of 2016 WWE.

This sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with the current product anyway. You know it is possible WWE can actually do some good things.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Feb 16, '16, 6:19 pm

Struggling to think of how a 30 man tournament will work. It's too large to be round robin. Needs two more men to be elimination. And I can't think of how they could come up with groups so that 16 wrestlers or 8 wrestlers will qualify to the elimination stage.

Hopefully they don't go with triple threats or other multiple man matches as part of this, that'd reduce my interest substantially.

It'll be interesting to see who they use: if they take many guys from outside the company, or if they use a bunch of their own talent. Will they mix main roster stars with NXT stars? If they're really committing to this, there's potential for some great new matches.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby War Daddy » Feb 16, '16, 8:23 pm

What is this, WCW?

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 16, '16, 8:32 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:Oh man this would be so awesome if we weren't in the midst of 2016 WWE.

You know it is possible WWE can actually do some good things.

WWE has yet to back up these statements. I'm so disillusioned by this company, it's insane. Their roster is so incredible but they refuse to utilize it. I want nothing more than to watch wrestling every Monday night but they make it so hard.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 16, '16, 10:14 pm

Hanley! wrote:Struggling to think of how a 30 man tournament will work. It's too large to be round robin. Needs two more men to be elimination. And I can't think of how they could come up with groups so that 16 wrestlers or 8 wrestlers will qualify to the elimination stage.

Hopefully they don't go with triple threats or other multiple man matches as part of this, that'd reduce my interest substantially.

It'll be interesting to see who they use: if they take many guys from outside the company, or if they use a bunch of their own talent. Will they mix main roster stars with NXT stars? If they're really committing to this, there's potential for some great new matches.

My impression was it's 32 people? At least that's what I've been assuming from reading stuff online elsewhere.

It sounds from Triple H's interview on it that they're trying to bring in a bunch of guys from all over the world, uncontracted guys, guys from other promotions, etc. They may also use some of their own as well. I mean a guy like Rich Swann from NXT has just done job duty, this could be a good time for him to break out.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Feb 17, '16, 5:00 am

They haven't said how many people for sure. They want it to be 30+ people. It probably all depends on how many companies and different talent they can come to terms with.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 17, '16, 8:34 am

The Legend wrote:They haven't said how many people for sure. They want it to be 30+ people. It probably all depends on how many companies and different talent they can come to terms with.

I'm sure there's plenty of indy talent they could get who aren't in hard contracts. They have the deal with Evolve which will get them some for sure. Some of the foreign promotions would like the exposure probably, I mean I doubt New Japan is sending anyone, but the Mexican promotions and some of the smaller Japanese ones might. The British scene is pretty good right now too.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Soaresboy » Feb 26, '16, 7:54 am

If this is true, it's one of the best ideas they've had in a long time.

I'm hearing rumours of Marty Scurll and Zack Sabre Jr. taking part.

Soaresboy None specified
Mark
Mark

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to WWE