It is currently: Apr 26, '24, 11:52 pm

WWE's match quality/formula is terrible

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

WWE's match quality/formula is terrible

Postby Messiah » Dec 01, '15, 9:22 am

I think I have mentioned this a couple of times before, maybe in a random thread or in the shout-box, but is there anyone else who thinks that the quality of matches in the WWE has stunk? Maybe it is because I am completely disinterested in the product, but anytime I watch, every match they have is the same. You might get something different in the mid-card because they don't care, but every main event match follows the same formula:

BIG MOVE
PIN
BIG MOVE
PIN
BIG MOVE
PIN

It is the exact same reason that I thought the Owens/Cena matches, outside of the first one (and that was really only because of the shocking result), weren't good. They were the same thing. I guess since people fall for it every single time, it's whatever, but WWE is lacking severely in match psychology. I think a lot of it has to do with Undertaker's WrestleMania matches. They followed that formula and now it is applied to just about any main event match they have. All of Cena's matches nowadays are like this too. It started off as something cool but it is so formulaic. Actually maybe that is it. The Cena open challenge matches because this trend didn't become as rampant until those started. NXT matches are far more entertaining, not because of the performers but because they don't feel so basic. Every WWE main event match is the same.

That is probably why Lesnar matches feel so good - they offer something different to the table. Otherwise, I'm bored to tears by just about any other main event match. Another example is Rock/Cena from WM29. That was God awful. Just finisher after finisher after finisher. There are some situations where this works (Punk-Cena from MITB was kind of like this, but it kind of wasn't either - there was a much better and lengthier build-up to the big moves whereas nowadays it happens after like 5 minutes) but it shouldn't be applied to every big match just because you think it makes it more epic.

I wish they did more matches like Bryan/HHH from WM30. That was class.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: WWE's match quality/formula is terrible

Postby Everlong » Dec 01, '15, 9:23 am

That's because, as in every other area of the company, WWE has decided glitz and glamour is more important than substance.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 01, '15, 9:28 am

A lot of people seem to have been growing with this complaint. I know Austin had Wade Keller on his podcast and they complained about this because the formula of WWE matches with each guy getting 50% of the offense and the back and forth nature of them creates the constant "This is Awesome" chants.

I feel like they've toned down that style over the past couple months. They don't seem to have the constant false finishes like they did then. The matches are a bit slower paced. Then again people have bitched about the last couple months more than ever so maybe there should be matches like that.

Also, why do people bitch about the match "formula"? Every match has a formula. They have since the dawn of wrestling.

-Face comes out hot
-Heel cheats or comes back and gets the heat on the face
-Face gets a hope spot but heel stops it
-Face makes the big comeback
-Face either wins clean OR heel manages to stop the onslaught and win

Wrestling matches have formulas. Just the formula now is different. Maybe you're tired of it but it'll change again.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Dec 01, '15, 10:33 am

I don't think Messiah's complaint is about matches having a formula, but rather that the spectrum of those formulas has significantly narrowed over time to the point where we're getting two or three match formulas rather than a couple dozen (just pulling numbers out of my ass, but you get the point).

Matches are unavoidably "formulaic" because they are physical storytelling, and stories, even good ones, are at least somewhat predictable. There's only so many stories you can tell. WWE just seems to be content telling the same couple over and over rather than trying to give some variance here and there. It makes all the matches lose meaning.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Daz » Dec 01, '15, 10:34 am

They've only had 3 types of finishes for the past 3-4 years.

Distraction, guest commentator interference, shitty rollup out of nowhere. Or possibly, the mystery 4th which is a combination of all the previous three.

It's not necessarily the formula that is terrible, it's that the payoffs aren't worth it so the whole thing lacks any semblance of drama, because nobody fucking cares.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby DBSoT » Dec 01, '15, 11:59 am

The issue with the ring psychology goes back to WWE refusing to give wrestlers creative freedom. The reason the matches seems formulaic is because very few of WWE's talents have diverse gimmicks. A match between Seth Rollins and John Cena should not look the same as a match between Sheamus and Roman Reigns. WWE only has 4 real character types currently. Babyface in peril (Reigns), retreating heel (Rollins), goofy heel (New Day), goofy face (Ambrose). Even a guy like Bray falls into the retreating heel pretty consistently. Basically WWE takes any combinations of the above and runs the same match as they would with two other wrestlers from the same category. This is why a lot Roman Reigns matches feel the same. Reigns vs Rollins is going to look the same as Reigns vs Sheamus because it is the same character dynamic between the two. It is also why Wyatt's feuds always end with him losing. "The retreating heel that is a part of a stable shall never win clean" is basically WWE's mantra. Rollins rarely ever won a big match clean and Wyatt is the same way. I also highly doubt that Sheamus will be any different. The one difference is, Sheamus and Rollins held the title, so they couldn't just be jobbed out as easily as Wyatt has.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby JPG619 » Dec 01, '15, 3:03 pm

DBSoT wrote:The issue with the ring psychology goes back to WWE refusing to give wrestlers creative freedom. The reason the matches seems formulaic is because very few of WWE's talents have diverse gimmicks. A match between Seth Rollins and John Cena should not look the same as a match between Sheamus and Roman Reigns. WWE only has 4 real character types currently. Babyface in peril (Reigns), retreating heel (Rollins), goofy heel (New Day), goofy face (Ambrose). Even a guy like Bray falls into the retreating heel pretty consistently. Basically WWE takes any combinations of the above and runs the same match as they would with two other wrestlers from the same category. This is why a lot Roman Reigns matches feel the same. Reigns vs Rollins is going to look the same as Reigns vs Sheamus because it is the same character dynamic between the two. It is also why Wyatt's feuds always end with him losing. "The retreating heel that is a part of a stable shall never win clean" is basically WWE's mantra. Rollins rarely ever won a big match clean and Wyatt is the same way. I also highly doubt that Sheamus will be any different. The one difference is, Sheamus and Rollins held the title, so they couldn't just be jobbed out as easily as Wyatt has.

I so agree with the creative freedoms there. I think i would be more interesting if each wrestler was allowed to use his or her style in the ring then just limiting them to his or her finishing moves.

Also I know it a little off-topic but I think they need to do something with some of the finishing moves of some of the wrestlers. They should work with the wrestlers to change up lame finishers. Some wrestlers like Cena had his way to long. Same with guys like Big Show too. As said in the post about finishers I still think if same Roman and Big Show you a knock out punch as his finisher his opponent you sell the move a lot better most people would be knocked out cold if you got hit with a punch like that to the face so if they do hit it they should get an easy will with out even pinning the guy since he would be knocked out cold.

However going back to creative free they should let the two wrestlers use both of his or her strengths to make the match more enjoyable and less predicable. Maybe scrapping the whole heel and face traits and let the wrestlers decide to try to win clean or cheat depending on how is stands in the match. Like in many matches I can seen yeah I use Cena again were he gets beaten so much then gets the burst of energy hit his finisher and 1-2-3. I think that so lame and a lot of them use the same tactics. How about use the finisher as a leverage to try to get back into the match so his opponent gets a little bit of damage and work from there. Also not to over use that strategy too. Maybe some matches he would bring out a chair or a weapon when the ref is not looking to get him back into the match or even not to have him kick out and get the energy. The just need to be less predicable also they should change up gimmicks too of wrestlers don't let one wrestlers stay with the same gimmick to long. Maybe not wrestlers like the Undertaker since it be hard to change him but others when they get boring and need some fresh material.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Hanley! » Dec 01, '15, 6:29 pm

They have actually cooled off a bit on the finisher/kickout style matches lately. Just over the last couple of months. Which is a big relief, because I've always found those types of matches overrated and they were being used more and more since 2014. These matches are an attempt to substitute pizzazz for actual storytelling, and it's a poor substitute in my mind. Of course, they haven't actually dispensed with this type of match, but now they do seem to be saving it for main events, which at least makes sense.

It's not the formula that bothers me at all, there are formulas in wrestling that absolutely work. The shine, the heat and the finish is not a match structure that I think has to be followed every time, but it makes a whole lot of sense. It basically takes a match through the same paces as your average blockbuster movie. What I dislike is the lack of storytelling in a lot of matches lately. NXT does basic storytelling a whole lot better, and as a result it has better matches. It does this without necessarily having better in ring performers.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 01, '15, 8:08 pm

Hanley! wrote:What I dislike is the lack of storytelling in a lot of matches lately. NXT does basic storytelling a whole lot better, and as a result it has better matches. It does this without necessarily having better in ring performers.

On a related note, having commentary that can actually help tell the story in the ring would be an immense help. These announcers just ramble on, cracking jokes and fitting in whatever half dozen buzzwords they have to get in.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Dec 02, '15, 3:38 pm

That does drive me nuts too. If a guy can kick out of a pin after taking a finisher, most of the time he should be able to dodge, avoid, reverse the move in the first place.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to WWE