It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 6:34 am

Thoughts on "League of Nations"

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Thoughts on "League of Nations"

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 30, '15, 11:03 pm

What does everyone think about this new heel stable?

For those that missed it, Sheamus coined "League of Nations" as the name for the grouping of Sheamus, Rusev, King Barrett, and now Alberto Del Rio has joined. Later they main evented in an 8 man against Reigns/Ambrose/ and The Usos, but the New Day came out to make it 7 on 3. I'm unsure if New Day are actually members or just associates.

Anyway, Sheamus pinned Ambrose and then the heels laid out Reigns and Ambrose to end the show with all seven posing for the camera.

I'm actually kinda digging it so far. Once you get over the fact that Sheamus and Barrett have been jobbers for months and the others are midcarders it's kind of interesting. I mean it's a different spin on the "Authority" heel stable at least. It definitely felt different to me, which I guess is good. Hey, people wanted to see new guys in the spotlight, well it looks like we're getting it, for now.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: Thoughts on "League of Nations"

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 01, '15, 12:56 am

I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm starting to dig Sheamus as champion to be honest, embracing the goofiness and rolling with it is the way to go.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 472

Postby Daz » Dec 01, '15, 11:46 am

I think I'd prefer it without Del Rio, as Rusev/Sheamus/Barrett have worked together in the past and have pretty fun chemistry. It gives all the guys involved, who have such severe lack of direction it's not even funny (and two of them are champions for god sake) something to do.

It could be fun. It probably won't be.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby SlightlyJames » Dec 01, '15, 12:04 pm

Honestly I'm not hating Sheamus as champ as much as I thought I would. Bizarre that they waited until after he had the belt to let him start doing anything interesting. I'm in favour of the League of Nations, it certainly gives Sheamus some better backup than Rollins ever had as champion and it'll no doubt be more entertaining than back when Kane and the Big Show were the constant opposition to the title challengers.

I don't like the "these guys suck because they're foreigners" angle but at least it'll lead to some good matches at the top of the card. I think I'd be too optimistic to think including Del Rio means they drop the MexAmerica bullshit though. Come to think of it, isn't Jack Swagger the logical opponent to the League of Nations? I wouldn't be surprised.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 01, '15, 1:03 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I don't like the "these guys suck because they're foreigners" angle but at least it'll lead to some good matches at the top of the card. I think I'd be too optimistic to think including Del Rio means they drop the MexAmerica bullshit though. Come to think of it, isn't Jack Swagger the logical opponent to the League of Nations? I wouldn't be surprised.

Del Rio beat Goldust earlier with Zeb at ringside. He attacked after the match and Swagger made the save, so I presume that feud is continuing, at least for now. The Del Rio/Zeb pairing has never made any sense, they should just have Del Rio attack him for some heat and move on.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Postby JPG619 » Dec 01, '15, 2:42 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm starting to dig Sheamus as champion to be honest, embracing the goofiness and rolling with it is the way to go.

Same here, I like the why he handling it, especaily during his opening promo last night on RAW calling the fans stupid

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Hanley! » Dec 01, '15, 6:22 pm

It's weird. In a way, I think it could be good and it could work. But I also know that it will suck and that it won't work. So it's hard for me to express my feelings on it as an idea at this early point.

Sheamus, Del Rio, Rusev and King Barrett as a stable makes sense. I like the international flavour. Some of them have chemistry together. None of them have anything better to do right now. And a stable filled with people who are actually almost equals (rather than one main event guy and his disposable cronies), is a nice departure for the norm. If WWE was enjoying a period of good writing at the moment, I think this stable could work.

But it's already not really working. Those four guys didn't have anything better to do before, but they're all still ice cold and the company has done very little to make people excited about them while (or prior to) putting them together in a group.

Then there's the fact that there are too many hangers-on for them to look like a solid established stable right now. New Day was involved in all their stuff on Monday ... are they therefore part of the League of Nations? Then there's the fact that the League of Nations are directly tied in with the Authority. So we have stables within stables, and that muddies the waters needlessly. Then there's the Mex-America thing that Del Rio has going on. That already made no sense, and now it makes even less sense. Del Rio is in league with a stable that centers around not being American, but he's still in league with the American Zeb Coulter. Does Zeb now have a vested interest in all of the League of Nations or is it still just Del Rio.

It's a mess, and it's probably only going to get worse.

'League of Nations' is a pretty apt name for the stable though. It's a group of foreigners that the Americans are meant to hate for petty reasons, established by the writers to help avert disaster in the WWE, which will inevitably result in failure.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Dec 02, '15, 1:27 pm

Should have just went with League of Shadows.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Dec 02, '15, 3:36 pm

Decent concept for these guys to work. Sadly they will just do a series of 8 man tag matches. It makes me sad that they don't know how to book stables any more.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to WWE