It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 9:40 am

Excluding WWE employees, do you think there's a single person in the world ...

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Excluding WWE employees, do you think there's a single person in the world ...

Postby Hanley! » Oct 02, '15, 4:44 pm

... that actually refers to them as 'sports entertainers' instead of 'wrestlers'?

I'm genuinely curious.

Is there one guy out there who Vince has actually reached? Is there one guy who sits around talking to his friends about his favourite sports entertainers who put on amazing sports entertainment contests? Instead of talking to them about wrestlers and matches?

When WWE wrestlers do interviews with the mainstream media, making sure to correct the interviewers on the proper title for a WWE performer, do you think the interviewers ever go home afterwards and tell their husbands/wives over the dinner table "we had some sports entertainers on the show today, honey'?

I'm pretty sure we're unanimous in thinking that it's stupid for 'wrestler' to be a banned word on a freaking wrestling show, but I'm curious if any of you think there are people out there who actually speak Vince McMahon's jargon. Is there a single person in the world who's being fooled here? Or are they just fooling themselves?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Excluding WWE employees, do you think there's a single person in the world ...

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 02, '15, 6:19 pm

No, nobody does. "Sports entertainer" is a disrespectful, embarrassing term that needs to go away and die somewhere.

People love wrestling! There's no negativity that goes with the words "wrestling" or "wrestler". I can't conceive of how Vince got under the assumption that "sports entertainer" or "superstar" work better.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Re: Excluding WWE employees, do you think there's a single person in the world ...

Postby The Legend » Oct 02, '15, 6:28 pm

I think it's a legality thing more than anything. "Wrestling" is a proper sport and "wrestlers" are subject to state athletic boards and things like steroid tests and other things of the like. Sports entertainers are actors and it's different for them. That's why WWE eventually broke down the fourth wall and admitted what they did wasn't legitimate and was "sports entertainment" vs a proper sport of "wrestling".

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Oct 02, '15, 6:35 pm

I don't think the legality thing holds true. Drug testing just isn't necessary in something that isn't a sport but an art form. The name itself doesn't really matter. And if it did, I'm sure someone from WWE (or previously from WWE) would have said as much in an interview by now.

Besides, other wrestling companies refer to their wrestlers as wrestlers with no problems whatsoever.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 02, '15, 6:58 pm

There's always one. But yeah, I can't imagine there being many more than that.

I actually don't think the "sports entertainer" edict is as big as it has been in the past. I feel like they've relaxed it recently and there's been more mentions of "wrestler" or "wrestling". That's just a gut feeling though, I can't think of any specific examples.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby JPG619 » Oct 02, '15, 9:13 pm

I don' think so but you never know. When I am talking about wrestling to my friends I always call wrestlers as wrestlers since I don't have one friend that calls wrestlers superstars or sports entertainers.

I think it is ridiculous that wrestlers are called superstars or sports entertainers since I find is a disgrace to the wrestling business. I watch other wrestling promotions and all of them call them wrestlers which I think it the correct why to call it and hope the WWE changes their mind about calling wrestlers wrestlers again some day soon. Maybe they might to that when the change eras.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Return to WWE