It is currently: May 04, '24, 5:46 pm

Wrestlers you didn't get the love for

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Wrestlers you didn't get the love for

Postby PorkChop » Sep 01, '15, 11:46 am

@Headlesspete said in another thread that he never got the love for Wade Barrett. Funnily enough Barrett is actually a favourite of mine, or at least he was through his Bad News gimmick. It was such a shit gimmick but Barrett made it quite enjoyable with his sneering face and quick wit.

I never got the love for Drew McIntyre. Some people would talk about how he was great, whereas I never thought he had 'the look' or the ability to be a top star. He had good entrance music though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Wrestlers you didn't get the love for

Postby Hanley! » Sep 01, '15, 11:51 am

I thought both Barrett and McIntyre were both decent prospects, but they're both examples of guys who were way over-hyped by many. Whenever a conversation came up a few years ago about who would be world champion in a year, people would always mention Barrett and McIntyre and neither of them have ever proven themselves to be world champion material. They're solid hands, and nothing more.

Currently, Dean Ambrose very much falls into this category for me. He's entertaining enough at times, and I think he's a good addition to the roster. But world champion material, he ain't. His selling is atrocious, some of his mannerisms are very grating and his mic work is very overrated. I think part of it is that the loose cannon character doesn't gel well with WWE's overly scripted promos. They want him to sound unhinged and badass, but everything he says sounds really phony. On the mic at least, he'd probably be a lot better if they just let him go out there and do his thing. But there are other areas where he needs to improve too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Locke » Sep 01, '15, 12:34 pm

Just never understood why everyone busted a nut over Samoa Joe.

HE'S FAT. :steiner
And now he's killed Tyson Kidd.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Ali » Sep 01, '15, 12:44 pm

Alberto Del Rio. I remember his "Coming Soon" vignettes and thinking, "This dude is boring as s*it," while it seemed like everyone else was going crazy for him.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Locke » Sep 01, '15, 2:13 pm

Ali wrote:Alberto Del Rio. I remember his "Coming Soon" vignettes and thinking, "This dude is boring as s*it," while it seemed like everyone else was going crazy for him.

I agree with you so much that I forgot about him and didn't use him as an example. :lol

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Sep 01, '15, 2:19 pm

I dunno, it seemed to me that every WWE fan thought Alberto was overpushed about a month in. :lol He really didn't seem to be that over either on the forums, or with the live audiences. I wonder if he's more entertaining in other companies, because I could never tell why WWE saw so much in him. Particularly given how bad they usually are for pushing both new people in general, and foreigners in particular. He got surprisingly far in a short period of time.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Sep 01, '15, 2:28 pm

I like Daniel Bryan, but I don't understand how people can think the WWE incarnation of him is the best thing since sliced bread. It's awesome that the fans have (or at least had) someone to get behind and cheer, but to me he seems to be more of an avatar of what the fans have been craving than the actual person to usher in a new era/be a new superstar/whatever. CM Punk, though not the same in-ring talent as Bryan, should really have been that guy;.

I've also never really been a huge Shawn Michaels fan. To his credit he has been in a ton of great matches, but I don't rank him particularly highly all time.

And I will never for the life of me understand the Ric Flair love.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Sep 01, '15, 6:07 pm

Jeff Hardy. He was exciting at times for sure, but his mic skills were average at best, his wrestling was mediocre, and he was more of a headache then he was worth. He should have never been world champion.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby prophet » Sep 02, '15, 11:06 am

I've never been crazy for Dolph Ziggler despite the majority of people seeming to love him. He's repetitive on the microphone and whilst a good wrestler I find his over-selling distracting. Never really seen the hype surrounding him really.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Sep 02, '15, 1:23 pm

Jeff Hardy, he is sooooo boring. His voice is boring, his persona is boring, everything about him is BORING. Charismatic enigma he is not, imo.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Locke » Sep 02, '15, 2:21 pm

I never liked Cody Rhodes until his Stardust gimmick, now I think he's awesome.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Sep 02, '15, 3:18 pm

Ric Flair, Daniel Bryan, Kevin Owens.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Sep 02, '15, 4:24 pm

^^ I'm surprised you're not a fan of Kevin Owens, given he's more of a true heel than just about anyone else in the WWE at the moment, and I know you're partial to an old school style of wrestling.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Sep 02, '15, 5:40 pm

Owens is probably my favorite of the three and I don't hate him, but I don't think he's a main eventer. He just doesn't stand out to me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby JPG619 » Sep 02, '15, 6:31 pm

Locke wrote:Just never understood why everyone busted a nut over Samoa Joe.

HE'S FAT. :steiner
And now he's killed Tyson Kidd.

Never really was of Joe even in TNA don't really see anything special with him.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 03, '15, 12:46 am

I've never seen Cody Rhodes as anything more than a midcarder. Some of his gimmicks have been okay (like the face mask thing he was doing around Wrestlemania 27), but I think the Stardust character is too over the top and cheesy. Cody Rhodes has talent, but over the years I've seen people say he should be given the world title and I don't agree.

I would probably like Ziggler a lot more if they actually committed to him once. He's basically been doing the same thing for years and I'm not a fan of his wrestling style or moveset, it looks weak. Ziggler sounds confident on the mic, he has good mic skills yet for some reason they don't want to give him good material. I can't think of one memorable feud he's had. Like Cody Rhodes, I see him as midcard, maybe upper midcard at most. I feel like he haven't seen Ziggler's full potential and never will, which sucks.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Locke » Sep 03, '15, 7:40 am

I don't see how there was any ever movement for Zack Ryder. The dude's a doofus, his line delivery always sounds so extremely.. high school. I can't think of a better word, but you know when you're watching a high school or community play put on by amateurs and you can just tell they're not really understanding what they're saying. Like.. they'll make a statement but it sounds more like a question, or it sounds like they're reading from a cue card, etc. Zack Ryder has, in my opinion, the most unbelievable, over the top corny, unreal sounding, soap opera wanna-be sound in his line delivery that I have no idea how anyone ever came to like the guy. I guess his in ring skills are serviceable but they're not enough to make up for that horrible mic work.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby VaderBomb » Sep 03, '15, 6:05 pm

I can understand why people have been underwhelmed with Daniel Bryan. Considering that he was my absolute favorite wrestler before getting signed with WWE, I too feel as if he could've given us much more in the time that he's been here.

His career before WWE was legendary, but his WWE career has been much too limited and a bit contrived when it could have easily played out naturally and purely like his early period work. Now that he seems to be on the tail end of his wrestling career, the days of me arguing with people about post-indies Bryan is over.

The second half of his career could have easily been 10/10 but we've been left with a 7.5. This was really hard for me to admit, given my love for the Dragon.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby VaderBomb » Sep 13, '15, 7:30 pm

Twister wrote:Jeff Hardy, he is sooooo boring. His voice is boring, his persona is boring, everything about him is BORING. Charismatic enigma he is not, imo.

I agree 100%.

I never did understand the love for Jeff. Matt was the better wrestler of the Hardy brothers but even his personality was pretty empty aside from his feuds with Edge and MVP.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Return to WWE