It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 9:28 am

When/how did the brand split officially end?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

When/how did the brand split officially end?

Postby ShaneOfan » Jul 16, '15, 6:19 pm

It seems like it just sort of faded away, but I don't think they ever officially announced that it was over did they?

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 260

Re: When/how did the brand split officially end?

Postby Circled Square » Jul 16, '15, 6:19 pm

I'd assume whenever they added the "Supershow" shit.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby lyonssv » Jul 16, '15, 6:32 pm

I think CircledSquared nailed it....they started doing the SuperShow stuff and it kind of just became an every week thing. I'm not sure there was ever an "official" end to it.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 13

Postby The Legend » Jul 16, '15, 6:47 pm

So going back, in 2007 the WWE stopped using single branded PPV's around WrestleMania 23. Once they started putting both brands on every PPV the brand split was due to end. Then back in 2010 they put an end to the branded rosters at about the same time they ended ECW.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 16, '15, 7:02 pm

Yeah I believe the Supershow thing was the the unofficial end, I don't think there ever was an official end.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby EmperorWu » Jul 16, '15, 10:53 pm

I liked the split, I wish it would come back again. Especially if they would get Heyman running it again. He would be a lot easier to work with this time around too.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby Locke » Jul 17, '15, 2:07 pm

All you ever heard about when the brands were split were how badly they needed to reunite the titles and brands again. Now people want the split back?

I really don't have much of an opinion myself, anything that would make Smackdown more relevant.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby EmperorWu » Jul 17, '15, 5:17 pm

Well I'm the only one here who said they liked the split, and I've always liked it so no one is chancing their mind on that. Unless you're referring to some other website or topic, where these "people" are, I don't know what the heck you're talking about. :P

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby Hanley! » Jul 17, '15, 7:44 pm

The brand split is a dumb idea. It worked for a while after WCW folded, but the roster couldn't sustain it for long. It invited a whole bunch of problems too. Having two world champions diluted the prestige of both. The same could be said for the tag titles. Wrestlers had less opponents to work with, so things got older quicker. And it was harder to push people up the ladder, as there was less of a support system for putting people over.

I'm not saying wrestling is perfect right now, but bringing back the brand split is the last thing that would help. One roster and one world champion makes everything so much better.

The brand split probably ended fully a couple of years ago when Orton & Cena unified the championships. So not that long ago. The Authority storyline was already well under way back then. I think the rosters were officially unified for a while at that point, and they had been unofficially unified for a while before that. The company's resolve had been slipping in terms of the brand split for years before they actually brought it to an end. I think they realised that it wasn't viable anymore, so I don't think we'll see it return any time in the near future.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Jul 17, '15, 9:13 pm

They brought back the brand split. You have NXT and the main roster.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Locke » Jul 17, '15, 9:31 pm

EmperorWu wrote:Well I'm the only one here who said they liked the split, and I've always liked it so no one is chancing their mind on that. Unless you're referring to some other website or topic, where these "people" are, I don't know what the heck you're talking about. :P

I was referring to wrestling fans on broader forums of interest, like the actual squaredcircle from Reddit.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby JPG619 » Jul 18, '15, 4:38 am

The Legend wrote:They brought back the brand split. You have NXT and the main roster.

That is so true however only people with the WWE network can really enjoy it since I don't think there are many networks that show NXT outside of the US.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby Circled Square » Jul 18, '15, 12:11 pm

Hanley! wrote:The brand split is a dumb idea. It worked for a while after WCW folded, but the roster couldn't sustain it for long. It invited a whole bunch of problems too. Having two world champions diluted the prestige of both. The same could be said for the tag titles. Wrestlers had less opponents to work with, so things got older quicker. And it was harder to push people up the ladder, as there was less of a support system for putting people over.

I'm not saying wrestling is perfect right now, but bringing back the brand split is the last thing that would help. One roster and one world champion makes everything so much better.

The brand split probably ended fully a couple of years ago when Orton & Cena unified the championships. So not that long ago. The Authority storyline was already well under way back then. I think the rosters were officially unified for a while at that point, and they had been unofficially unified for a while before that. The company's resolve had been slipping in terms of the brand split for years before they actually brought it to an end. I think they realised that it wasn't viable anymore, so I don't think we'll see it return any time in the near future.

I don't agree with this at all. With the level of talent on the roster and in NXT there's potential for a brand new "SmackDown Six" type of group. The WHC is a great launching pad for stars, they get to control the brand, be the man, until they're ready to go to Raw.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 209

Postby DBSoT » Jul 18, '15, 2:27 pm

It only really works if they actually treat both shows as 100% separate. They have to have different PPVs, different characters, and cross overs have to be few and far between.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Hanley! » Jul 18, '15, 4:42 pm

NXT doesn't have the same kind of numbers watching the show, and its roster is seen as a development system to the main product. That's not the same as there being two brands that are theoretically on par with each other.

I guess NXT is a second brand, but I don't think they could ever leverage it into a second brand that's on par with the Raw brand. It would just dilute the product and make everyone seem like less of a star.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby DBSoT » Jul 18, '15, 6:28 pm

Hanley! wrote:NXT doesn't have the same kind of numbers watching the show, and its roster is seen as a development system to the main product. That's not the same as there being two brands that are theoretically on par with each other.

I guess NXT is a second brand, but I don't think they could ever leverage it into a second brand that's on par with the Raw brand. It would just dilute the product and make everyone seem like less of a star.
Even NXT has too much cross over at times for it to be a fully separate brand. As much as I love NXT for its original match ups compared to Raw, it still feels connected to the main roster at times.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Return to WWE