It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 8:20 am

Daniel Bryan Is Not the Guy

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Daniel Bryan Is Not the Guy

Postby Hanley! » May 20, '15, 2:52 pm

Thought this would be an interesting topic to raise right now.

Over the last year or two, the obvious choice for top face of the company has been Daniel Bryan. He was more popular with the fans than any star in a long time. Maybe Punk was more popular at one point, but Punk was popular for years before they decided to do anything with him. With Bryan it felt like he had been pushed organically to the top as his popularity grew.

While he was the obvious choice, he wasn't the McMahon's choice. That was Roman Reigns. People got annoyed when Reigns was promoted ahead of Bryan because they didn't think he was ready yet and didn't respond to the way he was being booked.

Unfortunately, we can now say with certainty that Bryan is never going to be the guy. He's vacated two belts in two years now. Even if he does come back, the company can't afford to put him in the role of top face. His health concerns make his future far too uncertain. It's sad, but true. He's not going to be the guy to take the reigns (no pun intended) from John Cena.

But someone has to. Cena appears to be finally moving back from the spotlight to let someone else have a turn. That guy can't be Bryan. So who do you think it should be? Do you think they should just go with Reigns? Have him take the belt off Rollins in a few months once he's a bit more seasoned, and more over with the fans? Or should someone else entirely be trusted with that role? If so, who?

I find it hard to say who should be on top right now. I'd love to see Zayn as the top guy in the company, but that can't happen for a few years. Who's capable of working the main event as a babyface for the next 2-3 years at least. Who could win the Royal Rumble and headline Wrestlemania without everyone shitting all over them?

I'm just curious to hear what people think. For the last two years the fans' choice has been Daniel Bryan. Who is their choice now?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Daniel Bryan Is Not the Guy

Postby Viazon » May 20, '15, 2:53 pm

Dean Ambrose.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » May 20, '15, 2:54 pm

Right now the closest thing they have to being "the guy" is Seth Rollins. He's over with the fans, has a great look, is fantastic in the ring, has really improved on the mic and seems to be reliable in terms of staying healthy. He's also at his best when the spotlight is shining.

It COULD have been Reigns, but the WWE completely fucked that up. Reigns is still capable of being a good main eventer for a long time, but he'll never be "the guy" because WWE so desperately pushed for him to be.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 3:11 pm

The obvious answer is do a better job with Roman Reigns. He'll do well in the top spot once he spends a bit more time around the summit. When they're not butchering everyone around him to make him look good people won't be nearly as hostile towards him.

I'm not sure if they will go all in with Rollins. Right now he is consistently one of the best guys on the show but the fact that they are making him look pretty weak as champion worries me. I'm not sure if they don't realize what they're doing or if they don't feel confident enough about him to make him more credible but it sets off alarm bells for me.

I doubt anyone would have a problem with Cesaro rising up the card. That dude is fantastic and has a very main event feel to him. He has very entertaining matches and had the unconditional support of the fans, though that may mean that he is taken for granted like Bryan was and marginalised to flirting with the main event rather than jumping in feet first.

If they ever bring Cody Rhodes back I'm sure he could be a top guy, not the guy but one of the guys. He's very smooth in the ring, he's a company guy and a great heel.

Ambrose will probably be forever be in and out of the top of the card but he won't be a mainstay. He's very good and can usually be counted on for a fun segment but I don't see him being given the opportunity to carry the company.

I don't think Ziggler will ever get there. As much as I enjoy his matches and as passionate a promo he can cut on occasion I just don't get the feeling that he'd work as a top guy. Where he is right now is unfortunately where he should be in my view.

When it comes to Bray Wyatt I don't know how to feel. They seem to like him enough to treat him like a big deal but I'm not sure he really has legs. More and more people are getting tired of his schtick and his ring work is less than stellar. If they do turn him face and it works then I guess they'll run with it but personally I'm hoping he changes things up before I can get behind him.

There are probably some guys I'm forgetting but I'm scratching my head trying to think of more.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Return to WWE