It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 12:49 am

There are so many great matches available for Rollins as champion

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

There are so many great matches available for Rollins as champion

Postby Hanley! » May 02, '15, 10:23 am

Last year, I said a bunch of times that I wanted to see Rollins hold the championship for at least six months in 2015, because of how good he has become and because of all the great feuds and matches he could have as champion. Many of those matches still being relatively fresh too.

Here's a list of his possible contenders at the moment ... and these are just the obvious ones without factoring in potential face turns or anything like that: Randy Orton, John Cena, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Brock Lesnar AND (if he returns) Daniel Bryan.

Holy fucking shit. You could get more than a year out of these feuds without it getting tiresome if it was booked correctly. And he could be in the show-stealing match at most pay per views.

So here's my question: considering the strength of that lineup ... considering the wealth of main event opponents the company has for this guy ...

Are they really going to give Kane a title shot?

It seems to me that they're spending most of Rollins run building up a match between him and Kane at some point. Possibly for one of the bigger pay per views. And why the fuck would they feel the need to do that? I mean, it's Kane. :o

IT'S FUCKING KANE!

It's just ... I don't understand this company. :facepalm

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: There are so many great matches available for Rollins as champion

Postby VaderBomb » May 02, '15, 10:29 am

Same thing happened when Bryan won the title. Kane got the first and only shot at Bryan's belt.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby SlightlyJames » May 02, '15, 10:33 am

In fairness the stuff with Kane has actually been pretty interesting. Here's to a long reign and the realization of all the feuds you mentioned! :tim

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » May 02, '15, 10:42 am

SlightlyJames wrote:In fairness the stuff with Kane has actually been pretty interesting. Here's to a long reign and the realization of all the feuds you mentioned! :tim

Ugh, I don't see it with Kane. In theory, a feud down the line with somebody splitting away from the Authority would be a good idea. That kind of feud is usually pretty awesome. But Kane isn't the guy to do it with. He's not a main event player at this point in his career. There's nobody in the Authority that would make a good pairing with Rollins, unfortunately.

And then I just think it's been handled badly. Compare this to Batista vs Triple H for example. That split was very gradual, and handled quite deftly. They built to the split slowly and effectively, and fans popped big time when Batista eventually turned on Triple H. But with Kane and Rollins, Kane just fucks him over every week and then apologises and decides to play ball, and then fucks him over again the next week. They've already sacrificed that big potential pop when Kane finally snaps, and the Authority already look week for not just firing Kane or kicking the shit out of him.

The story could be good in other circumstances, but it's being done badly and it's being done with the wrong guy. There's more than enough young, talented, main event worthy faces for Rollins to face at the moment. Kane shouldn't even be considered. Especially not right at the start of Rollins run.

I'm getting worried that they'll do what they often do: pair the new champion with someone boring and terrible in a crappy story and blame the new champion for ratings going down. This is Rollins first title reign. Give him a chance to actually impress people and establish himself as a worthy champion.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » May 02, '15, 12:09 pm

An Ambrose program for Rollins make a ton of sense once he's finished with Orton/Kane. There's going to be a gap between Payback and Summerslam where they are going to need some PPV World title matches to fill some time. Let's face it, most likely Rollins is remaining champion until Brock comes back for Summerslam, so we know he's not losing the belt.

Orton will be off the checklist you mentioned after their feud. Cena is the US Champ and I'm hoping he keeps it for a while longer and stays out of the main event scene, it's made him more refreshing already. Reigns as well should continue to rebuild himself into a believable singles star first.

Ziggler is feuding with Sheamus right now and quite frankly I don't see WWE giving him the title feud anyway. Bryan is on the shelf and it's up in the air about how hurt he is and how long he's out, plus he's IC Champ for now and may be busy with that when he does return.

That leaves Ambrose. His history with Rollins is well documented, and he's remained over with the crowd despite his horrible booking over the past few months. They could throw him into that spot so easy and the crowd would buy into him.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » May 02, '15, 12:32 pm

^^ Oh, I agree that Ambrose should be next after Orton. But if Bryan comes back at any point, he'd be a great opponent with very little build needed. Ziggler could easily be in the right position to feud for the championship come the fall, particularly if he wins the feud against Sheamus. He's being presented as enough of a star to get title shots on lesser pay per views now, for sure. Maybe the company will never treat him well enough to make him a real world champion level guy, but it's a lot easier to sell him as a contender than a lot of guys right now. Ambrose for example (though it's easier to present Ambrose as a contender when the champion is Rollins who he has history with).

Cena can chase the title at some point, once he's lost the US belt. He won't have that for that long anyway, I'd be surprised if he hasn't lost it come Survivor Series. He could easily do two pay per views with Rollins. There's a real healthy mix of guys right now. But Reigns shouldn't be getting a shot until Rollins has finished with Orton and Ambrose at the very least. Maybe Cena or Ziggler too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » May 02, '15, 12:36 pm

Hanley! wrote:Cena can chase the title at some point, once he's lost the US belt. He won't have that for that long anyway, I'd be surprised if he hasn't lost it come Survivor Series. He could easily do two pay per views with Rollins. There's a real healthy mix of guys right now. But Reigns shouldn't be getting a shot until Rollins has finished with Orton and Ambrose at the very least. Maybe Cena or Ziggler too.

Oh yeah I wouldn't have a problem with Cena getting a shot around Survivor Series, I just want him to stay away until at the earliest after Summerslam.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Ziggler getting a chance at a PPV, the crowd would get behind him. I just have no faith in WWE and their thinking on Ziggler.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » May 02, '15, 12:48 pm

^^ I know WWE have consistently failed to deliver with Ziggler, but after Survivor Series last year and now that they've put him in a decent singles program against Sheamus (and considering all the extra mic time he's gotten recently), I feel like they think he's a star finally. Not a huge star. Not a major world champion level guy. But at least a star.

I really hope Ziggler does settle into that kind of spot, because I think he deserves it and works well in it. I don't think he's going to be the next guy, but he deserves to be in the mix.

I just like Ziggler anyway. After seeing WWE live lately, he was easily the guy that got the crowd going the most. He worked the crowd constantly and was visibly giving it his all. Which I could say about very few other guys from that show. Even after Bryan won the six man tag and his music started playing, Ziggler was the one who stayed out slapping hands with the fans and keeping them hyped. These are star qualities in my opinion and the company would be wrong to overlook them.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to WWE