It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 7:12 am

Best Match of 2014?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Best Match of 2014?

Postby Hanley! » Dec 30, '14, 11:16 am

Honestly, I find this topic a good deal more difficult than the previous one. There were quite a number of enjoyable matches this year, as there always is. None of them really stuck out in my mind above all others though.

The Daniel Bryan matches at Wrestlemania are good candidates, and I thought the Survivor Series main event was a really fun match. The Shield vs Evolution match was an incredible ride too. And Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose had their best match on Raw in Falls Count Anywhere.

I think I'd probably vote for Neville vs Zayn though. Just by a hair and on another day I might choose differently. It was a really exciting match, with some great storytelling. It came as the culmination of a long and effective feud and the championship was won by a face you could really get behind. We rarely see moments as perfect as this in wrestling these days.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Best Match of 2014?

Postby The Legend » Dec 30, '14, 12:38 pm

Either Zayn vs Cesaro or Daniel Bryan vs HHH

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Dec 30, '14, 12:41 pm

I think my favorite match of the year and my pick for the best match of the year is Cesaro vs. Zayn. Even if you didn't watch their previous matches, you understood the story being told in the ring. This was the match that made me fall in love with Zayn and Cesaro as performers. The pacing was as good as you will ever see, the counters were creative, and the final sequences were A+.

Another good candidate is The Shield vs The Wyatt Family at Elimination Chamber. Great match. I think Bryan vs Orton vs Batista is one of my favorite WrestleMania main events - it was a perfect example of how you use false finishes and despite it being a clusterfuck with Armstrong, Triple H, and Stephanie interfering, it made perfect sense. Just a great match that exceeded all expectations.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby PorkChop » Dec 30, '14, 1:01 pm

The Shield vs The Wyatts at EC
Daniel Bryan vs Triple H at WM 30
The Shield vs Evolution (can't remember the PPV)

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 30, '14, 1:58 pm

I can't narrow it down to one, so I'll just list the ones that stood out the most to me:

Shield vs The Wyatts
Survivor Series 5-on-5
Hardys vs Wolves vs Dudleys 3-Way Ladder Match

Kaiser Cavanah vs Nick Foster.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby prophet » Dec 30, '14, 3:32 pm

Bryan/Wyatt from the Royal Rumble for me. I probably enjoyed the multi-man matches more in the moment tbh but they're a lot easier to make entertaining due to the sheer chaos of them so rather than list one that's already been said I'll go right back to the very start of 2014.

The Bryan/Wyatt feud was really good (easily Bray's best program) and at this point nobody had really seen anything too impressive from Wyatt in the ring so the jury was still out - it was this match that made me a fan of his and proved that he was good enough to hang at the top of the card. They had 25-30 minutes of back-and-forth action with a red-hot crowd that pined to see Bryan win the main-event let alone the opening contest. The actual wrestling was brilliant, the finish was superb, it legitimized Wyatt at the time and the atmosphere on here was electric throughout.

They told a wonderful story and gave us a terrific match which is why I've chosen that match as the best of 2014. Though truth be told I could name about 5-6 matches that would be appropriate for the accolade.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby VaderBomb » Jan 02, '15, 3:36 am

1. Cesaro vs Zayn
2. Bryan vs Triple H
3. Zayn vs Neville (w/following bit starring Kevin Owens)

The Shield vs Evolution matches were incredible as well.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby JPG619 » Jan 03, '15, 3:55 pm

VaderBomb wrote:1. Cesaro vs Zayn
2. Bryan vs Triple H
3. Zayn vs Neville (w/following bit starring Kevin Owens)

The Shield vs Evolution matches were incredible as well.

Could not said it better

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Return to WWE