It is currently: May 08, '24, 10:10 pm

Roman Reigns Breaks Kane's Royal Rumble Eliminations Record

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Roman Reigns Breaks Kane's Royal Rumble Eliminations Record

Postby Hanley! » Jan 31, '14, 8:50 pm

A lot of you seem to be pretty happy that Roman Reigns ended Kane's record of knocking out 11 men in the 2001 Royal Rumble. But I don't understand what there is to be happy about. It's clearly a stupid decision.

Think about it. Kane has been with the company for almost 20 years. Didn't he deserve to hold that record? After all that he's done for the WWE, surely they owed him at least that much.

The sad fact is that Kane has only held world titles a couple of times. He's been in countless memorable feuds and pay per view matches, sure. And he might have won 11 tag team championships, 4 mid card championships and the Money in the Bank. But is it really enough? Compared to some people, that's not all that much. So losing his Royal Rumble eliminations record REALLY damages his legacy. I'm not even sure he's even Hall of Fame worthy without it.

To be honest, so many other great superstars have wrestled in the Royal Rumble before that it just seems unrealistic that Roman Reigns could end Kane's streak as the man with the most Royal Rumble eliminations, and they couldn't. If Shawn Michaels and Triple H couldn't get the job done, then what business does Roman Reigns have putting an end to Kane's record?

Don't get me wrong. I think Roman Reigns is pretty good. But he didn't NEED to break Kane's record. He hasn't been in the company that long and we really don't know how his career is going to turn out. Maybe ending Kane's record won't help his career at all. He could even leave WWE in 6 months, and then allowing him to win the record for most eliminations will have been for nothing. That's just not a risk worth taking.

And most disappointingly of all, Reigns ending Kane's record proves to us that Kane was never all that great to begin with. Because if it's possible to knock out 12 men in one Royal Rumble match, then knocking out 11 men isn't an impressive feat at all. It's fucking laughable to be honest. No longer an achievement to be remembered or respected.

RIP Kane's Most Royal Rumble Eliminations Streak. Some of us knew better.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Roman Reigns Breaks Kane's Royal Rumble Eliminations Record

Postby Messiah » Jan 31, '14, 9:54 pm

100% agree, I am not sure if he is deserving of being inducted into the Hall of Fame without the record. I wouldn't even put him in the Celebrity Wing.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby SKS » Jan 31, '14, 10:15 pm

Kane should at the very least get another 5 month World Title reign because of this travesty.

5 month World Title reign ---> Reign ----> Reigns ----> Roman Reigns ----> Illuminati

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 31, '14, 10:31 pm

Roman Reigns just superman punched Hanley after reading this.

It was nice knowing you buddy!

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Georgerv » Jan 31, '14, 10:53 pm

I would have agreed with you, but he'll likely forever hold the most consecutive entries in the rumble, and could still possibly break HBK's most rumble eliminations (total) before he retires.

I really don't think you have to worry about Kane being HOF worthy, he's a lock for it whenever he retires

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 01, '14, 11:35 am

Kane gets shitted on pretty much all the time. Katie Vick storyline a PRIME example.

He's a company guy Kane - does anything they ask him to do without a fuss so he deserves a HOF place but yeah, think Reigns might have been given the most eliminations abit too early. I think WWE wanted to give him 'something' to help boost him up but think 10 eliminations or 11 would have sufficed.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Feb 01, '14, 11:59 am

100% literally this.

Personally to me, it comes down to this: when you think of Kane, what do you think of first? Duh, his Royal Rumble record. As you said, it's truly career defining. The Royal Rumble has been littered with LEGENDARY performances, but Kane's has topped them all for many consecutive years. Sure, this Reigns guy might get a rub off it for a bit, but what does it matter in the end? Will he have the same long-term impact as Kane, especially if Kane would have kept his record? Doubt it.

The championships that Kane won, the legendary moments that he's had in storylines with Taker and Rock and Foley and Austin and Shane O'Mac and more, they are all meaningless now, because the WWE has foolishly stripped away the single most defining accomplishment of the man's storied career.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Feb 01, '14, 12:03 pm

Kane should have retired at the Royal Rumble, with his elimination streak intact. That was the most fitting end for such a long career.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 01, '14, 12:06 pm

Hanley! wrote:Kane should have retired at the Royal Rumble, with his elimination streak intact. That was the most fitting end for such a long career.

Personally I think they should have just let him drift into a semi-retirement, where he only comes back to work Royal Rumble every year so that he can add one more elimination to his record.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 01, '14, 12:25 pm

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have a suspicion this thread isn't the most serious one we've had on here...

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Feb 01, '14, 12:28 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have a suspicion this thread isn't the most serious one we've had on here...

Are you making light of Kane's Royal Rumble eliminations record?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Hanley! » Feb 01, '14, 12:31 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have a suspicion this thread isn't the most serious one we've had on here...

I'm dead serious. The only way that Kane's elimination record should have ended is by his retirement. Having someone else break the record is a huge sign of disrespect in my mind.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 01, '14, 12:36 pm

Everlong wrote:

Are you making light of Kane's Royal Rumble eliminations record?

Of course not, a hallowed record like that should stand until the end of days. They shouldn't even bother putting together that Rumble "by the numbers" segment next year, it'll be meaningless.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Buck » Feb 01, '14, 3:50 pm

Roman Reigns deserved to break the record, because he eliminated more guys!

Hey, if you're going to act on the assumption that wrestling is a legitimate sport where the records and win/loss statistics actually matter, then I'm going to say Roman Reigns legitimately eliminated more guys. So :P

Kane's eventual spot in the WWE Hall of Fame will not be affected one way or the other by holding or not holding this little-known record. I believe his spot in the Hall of Fame ls cemented either way. He's certainly made a big enough contribution.

Records in wrestling are made to be broken. That's the only reason they exist. As a matter of fact, that's the only reason records in life exist. It's to push the envelope. In wrestling, the pushing of that envelope is meant to give a rub to the guy breaking the record, just like how Brock Lesnar was promoted heavily for being the youngest WWE champion in history, until Randy Orton broke that record and was promoted just as heavily when he did so.

That's what WWE did with Roman Reigns. Not only did he break Kane's record, but he was one of the last two guys in the ring. This Rumble match was indisputably booked to put Reigns over.

The same goes for Undertaker's streak. It was made to be broken, so that it may eventually give a rub to a younger worker. Now, due to pressure from the fans, the streak might not end, but then again it might. Either way, Undertaker's spot in the Hall of Fame won't be affected either way. His legacy is cemented even moreso than Kane's.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby PorkChop » Feb 01, '14, 4:14 pm

Buck wrote:Records in wrestling are made to be broken. That's the only reason they exist.

That's the type of attitude that is ruining the WWE.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 01, '14, 4:45 pm

Undertakers streak?

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to WWE