It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:17 am

King of the Ring 2019

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

King of the Ring 2019

Postby The Legend » Aug 17, '19, 11:04 am

So, WWE announced last week that they would be running KOTR starting this week with RAW. It doesn't seem like it will be one night or even one week. Not exactly sure how they will run it since they haven't released all the details, but it seems like each week might be a round on both RAW and SD. Here's the first round matchups:

Cesaro vs Samoa Joe
Ricochet vs Drew McIntyre

Cedric Alexander vs Sami Zayn
The Miz vs Baron Corbin

Kevin Owens vs Elias
Ali vs Buddy Murphy

Chad Gable vs Shelton Benjamin
Apollo Crews vs Andrade Almas

There's some really intriguing first round matchups with Cesaro vs Joe and Ricochet vs McIntyre at the top of the list. Ali vs Buddy Murphy features two guys that are on fresh pushes and Gable vs Benjamin has two guys that used to be tag partners.

I think Joe has to beat Cesaro, I'd have Ricochet roll up McIntyre to set up a further angle for them. Zayn and Miz should win easiy. As much as I like Elias, further pushing Owens is obviously the way to go, I'd have the surprise of the first round be Buddy Murphy beating Ali. Benjamin and Almas get their wins as well.

In second round, I'd have McIntyre attack Ricochet mid-match to further Joe into the semifinals. Miz beats Zayn to face off with Joe. On the other side of the bracket, Owens beats Murphy and Almas cruises past Benjamin.

Miz puts up a hell of a fight, but Joe makes his way into the finals. and Owens wins to set up a big man classic in the finals of two guys that are way over and Owens gets the win to continue his push to the top.

What do you all think? How do you see the tournament playing out? Will you check it out?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: King of the Ring 2019

Postby Hanley! » Aug 25, '19, 12:09 pm

I won't be watching, but if it were me I'd probably pick Andrade to win. He's a great talent, and has a gimmick that could get a lot out of this kind of achievement. Plus if he's feuding with Mysterio they could use this towards that. He could call himself Rey Andrade ('Rey' is Spanish for king).

There are a few good names in the tournament. Ricochet would be another good choice; or Sami if they finally decide to do something with him.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Aug 29, '19, 11:09 am

So this week WWE completed the first round of the King of the Ring tournament. IT appears they are setting the schedule so the finals can be the night of Clash of Champions. Anyways, here's where we stand heading into the quarterfinals:

RAW:
Samoa Joe vs Ricochet - Ricochet survived McIntyre and Joe beat Cesaro. This to me sets up a situation they should pursue with McIntyre costing Ricochet the match and letting Joe move on. I really feel like tournaments should be used in pro wrestling to intertwine many stories and create multiple feuds, not just worry about the winner and this accomplishes that. A longer Ricochet vs McIntyre feud would be fantastic.

Cedric Alexander vs Baron Corbin - I don't understand what WWE is doing with Miz, other than they've set him up for this feud with Nakamura (on a note along those lines, Sami Zayn could be the greatest manager of all time if they keep running with this pairing with Nak. Seriously, the guy is golden). As for this match, Alexander needs to win this one to creat a RAW semifinal where the fans will want him to win and keep Joe's heel heat.

SD:
Elias vs Ali - Elias beat Owens in a match that I guess made sense, but has totally stunted KO's momentum that was badly needed. That Ali vs Buddy Murphy match was fantastic. Ali should get the win here.

Andrade vs Gable - Gable beat Benjamin in a childish mini-feud match to move on which was good. Andrade beat Crews which worked. Andrade should get the win in this one with the help of Zelina.

The way things are set up right now, I'd still keep Joe in the finals, but I'd have Ali beat him now that Owens is out of the tournament. Ali winning King of the Ring would be a huge moment for him and his character which could really go places.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Aug 29, '19, 4:03 pm

King Joe will win

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 29, '19, 4:53 pm

Cobin wins. lol?

They keep giving accolades to this fuck despite him not moving the needle at all as far as improving as a talent. Money in the bank, retiring Kurt Angle, several title matches in a row against Rollins, now King of the Ring. What's next?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby The Legend » Sep 30, '19, 8:02 am

KaiserGlider wrote:Cobin wins. lol?

They keep giving accolades to this fuck despite him not moving the needle at all as far as improving as a talent. Money in the bank, retiring Kurt Angle, several title matches in a row against Rollins, now King of the Ring. What's next?

I would disagree that he isn't improving as a talent. He's actually a pretty solid performer and character at this point. He's got an old school ability to draw heat. He's not a true main eventer and I do think it's disappointing he won King of the Ring, but everything else you mentioned wasn't so bad.

World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to WWE