It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:08 am

Can SmackDown help Roman Reigns character?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Can SmackDown help Roman Reigns character?

Postby Messiah » Apr 18, '19, 12:31 pm

Roman Reigns was drafted to SmackDown and there are a lot of fresh options for him there. Any of the New Day members. Reigns/Owens still has a lot of potential as a rivalry. Balor, Bryan if he's healthy, Nakamura, Rusev. Basically anyone but Lesnar.

Does anyone think SmackDown can help Reigns character wise? They seem to take way more creative risks on SmackDown than they do Raw. I'm hopeful Reigns will come across on television much better now. I look at The Usos for example. Super bland for a long period of time and people resented them in a way because they were always just there. Then they went to SmackDown, were allowed to show their personality, and now they are over as hell even as faces. I feel like Reigns could pull it off too, hell he's shown glimpses of what a wonderful heel he could be.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Can SmackDown help Roman Reigns character?

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 22, '19, 11:01 am

Yeah they really needed to get Reigns off of Raw. He's so stale and one-dimensional, so I'm not sure if the move could make me a fan. I'm just hoping he doesn't bring down SmackDown which has been the better show for awhile now. LIke you said there are plenty of fresh feuds, but I doubt that they turn him heel.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Apr 23, '19, 2:47 pm

I don't think the Smackdown move will do much. It might freshen up the shows a bit, but I don't think it'll do anything for the Reigns character specifically. I do think they should be considering a heel turn later this year. People might say the timing is wrong after his cancer recovery, but if there are already signs that people are turning on him again then a heel turn is the right move.

His recovery from cancer might make people less likely to boo him, but it's not going to make fans cheer him either as time goes on. If fans don't like him but feel obligated to respect him, it's got to dampen their enthusiasm for the product. The argument for Reigns on top has always been that he generates a reaction, even if it's not a babyface reaction. I'd be worried now that he's going to generate less of a reaction going forward because smarks won't know how to treat him.

He should probably stop bringing up the cancer stuff and if he's not getting over then he should turn heel towards the end of the year. I don't expect anything like that to happen, but it's what i think they should do.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Apr 24, '19, 7:51 am

Reigns getting to move on from Brock Lesnar in general will help his character and give him fresher people to deal with and an actual rival to be in front of every week.

However, I don't think we'll see any difference in character or even in the way the shows are presented. SD is going to broadcast TV and is worth even more than RAW now in the broadcast deal. I expect SD to get to be more like RAW and RAW to become the more experimental brand towards the end of the year and into next year.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to WWE