It is currently: Jun 04, '24, 6:00 am

AJ Styles: Free Agent

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

AJ Styles: Free Agent

Postby VaderBomb » Dec 24, '13, 11:00 am

I was hoping that WWE would have jumped on this AJ Styles situation and tried to sign him for the Rumble, but he recently announced independent dates that he's going to be working up until and through the early spring. I'm sure that Styles is well-known enough where he could've made a big impact with a surprise debut. He wouldn't have had to spend any time in developmental, so the secret could have potentially been successful. What do you guys think? Would Styles work well in WWE if he signed, or do you think they would bury him (or even straight up not sign him) because of his TNA history?

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: AJ Styles: Free Agent

Postby Hanley! » Dec 24, '13, 11:11 am

They wouldn't use him. They haven't really even shown any interest in most of the major TNA players in recent years - only the ones that had previously been stars in WWE or WCW. When Bobby Roode's TNA contract was up last year apparently they didn't even consider signing him, and Roode is exactly the kind of talent WWE should be looking for to bolster their mid-card: he has literally every single thing they look for in a talent.

If Styles was to debut in WWE next year, do I think he could get over? Absolutely. He's one of the best in-ring performers in the world and has a style that is flashy and instantly appealing. He could put on amazing television matches against the likes of Punk, Ziggler, Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, Rhodes, etc. He would be a real asset in big bumping matches like the Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank.

But he has a lot of TNA baggage and there are some easily concealable holes in his game, that they can nevertheless use as an excuse to not give him a chance. It'd be nice to see him join the company and do well, but I doubt very much that it will happen. WWE has a long-established habit of cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Racing Guy » Dec 24, '13, 6:30 pm

I think he just has too much TNA history for the WWE to sign him. Every match would be nothing but TNA chants.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby Buck » Dec 24, '13, 6:37 pm

Are you serious? WWE doesn't give a shit about a little guy with a southern accent with no promo skills that's awesome in the ring.

He should go to ROH, because that's the show I watch.

Fuck yeah, I'm drunk.

Andy Spirals for life!

(Andy Spirals is AJ Styles's name in the PS2 game Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, until you change it back to his real name. Even his 2D character kicks ass, that says something).

But in all seriousness, I'd be shocked if WWE really wanted him. It's one thing for CM Punk and Bryan Danielson, who actually have personalities you can latch onto. With AJ, it's ALL his in-ring performance, which doesn't sell in WWE. In WWE, the whole point is to sell the in-ring performance, not for your in-ring performance to sell you. Make sense? No? Well screw you, I'm drunk. It makes sense to me.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby HardcoreLegend » Dec 24, '13, 6:39 pm

I'm sure there were rumours a while back, maybe when his contract was last expiring that WWE had absolutely no interest in signing him. They didn't see him as having that big enough wow factor. That being said, if he did sign with WWE, I don't ever see him surpassing the Dolph Ziggler mark. I'd rather see Ziggler in a higher position that Styles just coming in to take it.

However... When I watch the Rumble, I know I (along with many others) will be waiting/hoping for him, even if it happens or not, we will just be waiting to see.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Postby Buck » Dec 24, '13, 6:47 pm

^ Ziggler has decent mic skills and a decent look. He really should be getting a better push than he has.

AJ... well, he should be on ROH. Because I watch ROH! I want him there! Their TV show is a million times better than WWE's or TNA's. I choose to be selfish in this scenario. I want to see AJ wrestling Roderick Strong, The Briscoes, Michael Elgin, Jimmy Jacobs, Adam Cole, and everyone on the ROH roster.

Plus, WWE wouldn't push his southern ass anyway. It's WWE's unique brand of racism (I.E. not pushing or promoting anyone that wouldn't be marketable to viewers in Stamford, Connecticut) that would hold him back.

Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Postby Hanley! » Dec 25, '13, 9:14 pm

The thing about Styles is that he's not just good in the ring, he's phenomenal in the ring. AND he's a good storyteller in the ring - he can get a personality and a story across in a match, so he doesn't need to be as strong in promos. He doesn't need to talk to get people invested.

I don't expect WWE would consider this though. So I doubt they'd hire him. To be honest, I don't think I'd want him to show up even if they did. He won't achieve his potential there. ROH would probably be a much better fit.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Dec 27, '13, 1:00 pm

I'm 99.9% sure AJ will go back to TNA after they finally give in and offer him the wage he wants.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Kyle » Dec 27, '13, 1:24 pm

He wouldn't be used properly in WWE I think. Of course Punk and Bryan have had major success in WWE but they didn't come from TNA.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Buck » Jan 01, '14, 12:03 pm

Fuck yeah!

Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Postby JPG619 » Jan 01, '14, 4:16 pm

Kyle wrote:He wouldn't be used properly in WWE I think. Of course Punk and Bryan have had major success in WWE but they didn't come from TNA.

I agree with you Kyle, I think there will be big hype at first but then it will slowly die away when he not used right. The WWE has history with that getting big name stars and then bam they are gone before something huge happens.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Return to WWE