It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:35 am

Stephanie McMahon to make big announcement, rumors are it's women's tag belts

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Stephanie McMahon to make big announcement, rumors are it's women's tag belts

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 21, '18, 3:08 pm

If true I can't see this working out well, even if they are to be defended across brands. Might as well make a separate show with just a women's roster. Any optimism from anyone else on this matter?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Stephanie McMahon to make big announcement, rumors are it's women's tag belts

Postby Hanley! » Jul 21, '18, 3:59 pm

Women's tag belts would be a disaster. In a few years when their roster is bigger, better, and the brands aren't separated, it'd be a good idea. Right now it would fucking suck.

I heard rumours that this announcement was actually about an all women's pay per view instead though. Which would still probably suck, but it would suck less. It's not a bad idea, I just think they're at least a year away from being able to put on a women's pay per view that was actually good. And if they can wait and do it right, then that's what they should do. They can pat themselves on the back all they want for being revolutionary and empowering women, but unless the shows are good, nobody will remember them for that.

It's hard to give a fuck about this women's evolution anymore anyway, because they've clearly been going backwards these last two years. They gave the women a Royal Rumble, but to do so they brought back talentless Divas like Kelly Kelly and Torrie Wilson, and allowed Michelle McCool to dominate the match. Nia Jax is lousy and she's dominated the Raw main event for months. Alexa has been dominating the title scene for her entire main roster run and she's still kinda bad in the ring. Carmella is hideous in the ring and she's the champion on Smackdown, despite her whole act being annoying.

Meanwhile Asuka has been booked like an idiot and a loser. Charlotte is a non-entity. Bayley and Sasha are locked in a never-ending, horribly booked feud that must be designed to turn the crowd against both of them. Becky hasn't been used at all for the last two years until about a month ago. Nikki Cross hasn't debuted with Sanity, even though she'd add tons to the show and to their act. And Io Shirai is headed to the Performance Centre so these clowns can "teach her how to wrestle".

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Re: Stephanie McMahon to make big announcement, rumors are it's women's tag belts

Postby The Legend » Jul 23, '18, 5:09 am

I really hope the announcement isn't a women's tag division, that would be horrible. The only way they could save a women's tag division would be to have all the women on one show, one singles championship and move the entire tag division to the other show.

That being said, I hope the announcement is a PPV for women. I think the time is right and they could put on a good show with the roster they have now.

As for Hanley's complaints, I agree and disagree with some of them. Jax is a very complicated situation. They brought her in to give diversity of appearance to the division which on the surface is a good idea. The problem is it is very difficult to believe most of the women on the roster could defeat someone who is nearly triple their weight. I disagree completely about Alexa Bliss, she's not exactly a technical marvel in the ring, but Chris Benoit was a much better wrestler than Austin and there's a reason Austin was the star of the show. Her personality dominates the division and she has the talent in the ring that every week Alexa is involved in the best action of the division weekly.

Carmella won't be at the top of the division for long, but again in the meantime she has the character that is unique enough that I find her enjoyable in a hate her guts sort of way.

There is no defending Asuka's booking, it's terrible. Charlotte dominated the division for roughly two years, so if I can get a few months away from her then great. Also, Charlotte has been out INJURED. Both of her breast implants busted and she was getting silicone poisoning. They took the belt off her so she could get surgery and recover, she's already put on social media that her return date is next week.

Bayley and Sasha's feud the biggest problem is they can't seem to decide when is right to pull the trigger. Which is why I'm hoping for a women's PPV being the right time that they can finally get it going and move on.

As I understand it Nikki has been busy on NXT and the division down there needs her. And as for the last one, getting everyone on the same page so they wrestle the same style and flow together makes sense so sending anyone to NXT when they sign is never a bad thing.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jul 25, '18, 3:33 pm

I think you're being very kind to some of those performers and angles, John.

It is a problem that Nia Jax is a babyface fighting heels that are half her size. That's a stupid booking decision to begin with; Jax should never have been cast in that role. It's a problem they created for themselves for no reason. You know what else sucks about Jax though? Everything. She's awful. She has no right being on the main roster yet, let alone working title matches on pay per view.

You say that Chris Benoit was a much better wrestler than Steve Austin, but Steve Austin was a freaking terrific wrestler. He didn't have the same technical style as Benoit but he was a great worker in his own right. Bliss is not. I used to be a Bliss fan/defender on NXT when she was used more as a manager or midcard heel. Because that's a better role for her. In a division with quite a few genuinely talented wrestlers, she's not nearly good enough in the ring to be their biggest female star. They started a "women's revolution" and then went and found themselves a Diva to lead it. Until she can put on an above average match, she doesn't deserve to be in the spot she's in.

I personally can't stand Carmella. Last I saw of her, she was completely inept in the ring. Fair enough, she won't be at the top of the division for long, but they shouldn't treat their divisions or titles like that. If she's a low level talent, don't book her on top of everyone else, even for a few months. It just makes the whole show seem like a joke.

Deciding when to pull the trigger is one of the problems with Bayley and Sasha's feud. The other problem is that the feud has sucked, both characters are completely unlikable now, and I'm not sure anyone even wants to see the match anymore. And they had one of the best WWE matches of the decade when they were back in NXT! It takes talent to turn people off them this badly.

I don't like being harsh on the women's division, because I really want it to work. I'm a fan of women's wrestling done well, and it's something that I'm not getting from New Japan so it's one of the few real draws WWE could have for me now. And a couple of years ago, Becky, Bayley, Banks, Charlotte and Asuka were some of my favourite performers in the company. I'd love that to become the case again. But I'm not going to give the company any points for creating "revolutionary" new matches for the women, if the division sucks. It doesn't have to suck either. They could turn things around tomorrow. They just choose not to.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 25, '18, 9:53 pm

I will say this about the women's champions. They're really good at getting heat. For Bliss, the complaint is that she's been on top for too long, but she did lose at Wrestlemania in what I thought was an okay story for Jax to win the belt in. Now Alexa is champion again, but they are building quite nicely to a big Ronda Rousey match at Summerslam where Alexa will probably get destroyed. So they've got a story there that the crowd is invested in and both women are over and playing their roles well. If Bliss steps out of the main event after that and they manage to get good opponents for Ronda to face, the title picture will be in good hands. Maybe the quality of wrestling won't be NXT-level, but it doesn't really need to be if the stories and people are interesting enough.

The biggest thing wrong with the women's division on Raw is the Baylay/Sasha debacle. I don't get that at all, and nobody else seems to either including the creative team. It's like they are actually trying to bury those two. Like both Sasha and Baylay pissed off somebody backstage. At this point, even a lesbian angle would be an improvement. I posted the topic of Baylay "turning heel" like it was a big moment that would lead to something, but the feud has not made any progress since.

Carmella is an even bigger heat magnet than Bliss, and I think her shtick could work out if she gets her ass whipped to really get the next babyface over. And that babyface has to be Becky Lynch. Asuka unfortunately is damaged goods since Wrestlemania though they can still build her back up... if they want to. Charlotte will undoubtedly be getting pushed again even though SHE'S damaged goods too after failing to capitalize on the momentum of breaking Asuka's streak. Becky should be next in line.

I understand why people don't like Bliss and Carmella, but if they utilize them to get the belts on good babyfaces and then build up some [new] good heels to work with them, the women's division could be great on both shows.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Return to WWE