It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 2:14 am

The worst WWE storylines of the past 10 years

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

The worst WWE storylines of the past 10 years

Postby PorkChop » Apr 21, '18, 4:12 am

Aside from screwing up the 'Summer of Punk' angle which concluded in Triple H vs Kevin Nash on PPV, these two spring to mind:

They bizarrely gave Natalya a fart gimmick around 2012:

I don't know whose idea this was, or what they were thinking - I can only assume this was some rib on Natalya for whatever reason.

The 'Piggie James' storyline:

This was actually a rib on Mickie James, for basically not being stick thin. It was really uncomfortable.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: The worst WWE storylines of the past 10 years

Postby Messiah » Apr 21, '18, 12:23 pm

I'm sorry, I know it is the obvious one but I've just gotta say it too.

It is, without a doubt, easily the worst storyline I can remember (well like aside from the ones that were flat-out offensive ie Katie Vick or Mysterio/Orton). There have been numerous bad storylines, but at least you understood what they maybe were trying to accomplish and simply messed up. It was like the WWE purposely booked this terribly because there is no other reason. Who the fuck was like, "hey, we should have our hottest superstar in the company interact with Kevin Nash! Then when we realize he can't wrestle anymore, have him lose to Triple H!" ???

Reigns/Triple H was terrible too. The writing wasn't so bad as much as it was nobody wanted either of them to win the WWE Championship in the main WrestleMania.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Apr 21, '18, 12:26 pm

Oh and this one too.

Talk about burying a stable in one month. Another story where it felt like the WWE botched it on purpose. And then that whole shindig where Cena is forced to join the Nexus, then is fired, but still appeared every week. That was a dark time in the WWE.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 21, '18, 12:55 pm

Any time a new champion is crowned and he has a wealth of new potential opponents as champion, but instead gets thrust into a program against Kane, things tend to plummet right down to the bottom of the barrel very quickly. But the angle between Kane and Seth Rollins was particularly terrible.

Kane spent months threatening Rollins, but the two still somehow co-existed on the same team. Then Kane started actually beating the shit out of Rollins occasionally, but they were still somehow on the same team. Rollins became afraid of Kane, but only when Kane was wearing a mask. When Kane wasn't wearing a mask, Rollins was not just unafraid but openly antagonistic, acting as if Corporate Kane was an entirely different person. One face of Kane made the new champion look like a coward, the other face of Kane made him look like an idiot.

Corporate Kane's ankle was shattered, but he put the mask on and his ankle was healed immediately, making us all look like idiots for watching this shit.

Triple H and Stephanie treated Kane and Rollins like squabbling children this entire time, instead of firing Kane for being a maniac and putting their chosen champion in danger.

An anonymous whistle-blower issued a complaint to HR about Kane's behaviour, and he was put under review. That review lasted for the duration of an episode of Raw (what), and Kane was found innocent of all wrong doing (what), which means that the people in WWE's HR department clearly don't have a clue what happens on the television show, where Kane was trying to murder Rollins on a weekly basis. Stephanie then outed Rollins as being the whistle-blower on live television (what) because that's something a company is apparently allowed to do.

Then Rollins got injured in a house show match against Kane and what was supposed to be a great title reign ended on the terrible and disappointing note that it had truly earned.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 21, '18, 2:35 pm

Undertaker and Kane vs The Wyatt Family from around Survivor Series a few years ago. Does anyone remember this one?

So The Wyaat Family had attacked The Undertaker and Kane and then carried him to the back, or taken them hostage or something. Then Bray came out on Raw and claimed he had "harvested the souls of Kane and The Undertaker". Over the next few weeks he would make the lights go off and summon pyro on the ramp. Apparently he had absorbed their powers? This sounds cheesy but keep in mind that this was by far the most dominant the Wyatt Family had ever been booked by that point. So there was a certain level of intrigue to see where the story went.

Alas. Kane and Taker randomly show up on Raw and challenge the Wyatts to a match at Survivor Series. They then proceed to beat the Wyatt Family in a 10-minute match at Survivor Series despite the 4-on-2 advantage the Wyatts had over them. And that's 4 big dudes including Braun Strowman.

Vintage Wyatt. It was a a real chance to legitimize the Wyatts as a feared stable, but they totally dropped the ball. You could still have had them lose to the good buys in the end, but at least make it a traditional Survivor Series tag match and add two more guys to Taker and Kane's team.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby PorkChop » Apr 21, '18, 3:10 pm

Messiah wrote:It was like the WWE purposely booked this terribly because there is no other reason. Who the fuck was like, "hey, we should have our hottest superstar in the company interact with Kevin Nash! Then when we realize he can't wrestle anymore, have him lose to Triple H!" ???

Rather than purposely booking it terribly, it was more like they were making it up as they went along. Remember the whole "who sent Nash the text?" angle, then it turned out that Kevin Nash had sent a text to himself :lol

It also led to the introduction of John Laurinitis as an on-screen character, which is one of the worst decisions in the past 10 years in itself.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Apr 21, '18, 4:07 pm

I'm sure they were making a lot of that shit up on the fly. Because you couldn't write that down in advance and agree to go forward that plan. But some of it had to be deliberate by Triple H and Nash and Vince. If the biggest wrestling star in years just drops into your lap, you don't accidentally overshadow and job him out for months. If they really were booking things from week to week, most of those weeks would have been "Punk cuts a scathing promo on a bitch" or "Punk kicks somebody's ass".

You couldn't convince me that there wasn't an element of sabotage there. They looked at how popular he was becoming, didn't want him to be the top guy, and tried to figure out how to transfer that heat to someone else. Though they did a spectacularly bad job with that too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby GameDesigner14 » Apr 23, '18, 4:38 pm

“Katie Vick” storyline
Piggie James storyline
Anyone booked to lose to Cena or Triple H

GameDesigner14 Female
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 28

Postby PorkChop » Apr 28, '18, 2:47 pm

Throwback to these cryptic promos which went on for weeks and weeks, generated a ton of intrigue, then turned out to be for Chris Jericho, of all people - who returned, said nothing, and left.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Apr 28, '18, 6:55 pm

Even after Jericho settled in, that was a shit run.

I remember the amount of Jericho fans desperately trying to defend that return, and find something clever about it. Or just insisted that the angle was going somewhere, when it never did.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Apr 29, '18, 2:14 am

Hanley! wrote:I remember the amount of Jericho fans desperately trying to defend that return, and find something clever about it. Or just insisted that the angle was going somewhere, when it never did.

I must admit, I found it hilarious at the time. It was just so bad, and was the ultimate anti-climax considering the build. I love it whenever WWE shoot themselves in the foot.

I remember the topics popping up on WWE-Club about who the girl was in the video, why she was relevant, and what role she had to play. People were speculating about the likes of Sting, Goldberg, and loads of other high-profile names. Then no, it was Jericho. The videos weren't relevant to his character in any way, and no explanation was given other than him saying "it's the end of the world as you know it" once, and that was it.

Talking of disappointing and dull returns:

I remember people speculating that this was Sting, Goldberg, Kharma, and various other people. Nope, Undertaker. Whose return was interrupted by Triple H, who initiated a 6-minute long staring contest, didn't say anything, then left.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '18, 5:26 am

For what it's worth, the Katie Vick story is more than 15 years old now.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the two epic Hornswoggle storylines. I mean it's tough to choose between Hornswoggle being the anonymous RAW GM and Hornswoggle being Vince McMahon's child.

Speaking of which, who on the RAW writing team thought, "you know, we did such a great job with Vince's illegitimate child storyline we should go back and repeat it with Kurt Angle?" That person's judgment should be eternally questioned.

Also, the Vince gets blown up angle as well.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Apr 29, '18, 5:50 am

The Legend wrote:Hornswoggle being Vince McMahon's child.

That was a dark time. I'd almost banished it from my memory.

I heard that allegedly the plan was for Mr Kennedy to be his illegitimate child and then receive a huge push, but then he dropped Orton on his head and was generally a bit of a dick backstage. Anyone would've been better than Hornswoggle though.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Apr 29, '18, 6:21 am

I think it was actually a drug suspension that lost Kennedy his spot as Vince's kid.

An injury cost him his spot as Money in the Bank holder and Wrestlemania main event star.

Dropping Orton on his head got him fired.

The guy wasn't necessarily main event material anyway, but he had some pretty horrific luck.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '18, 11:39 am

holy shit i completely forgot about ken kennedy!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 29, '18, 4:08 pm

Kennedy was great on the mic and decent in the ring. I would have liked to see what he brought to the table as a main eventer. In any case, it would brought a new player to the main event scene, and might have put a dent in the narrative that WWE didn't create any new stars in the Cena/Batista era. Dude just kept getting injured ove rand over again though, and also made some bad choices. Kennedy's WWE career was so cursed.

Vince's limp exploding was so wild when it happened. Possibly a really stupid idea. But original too. I want to know where that was going. The thing is, Benoit's death happened right after, so they had to scrap the story immediately.

The Undertaker cryptic return videos were weird, and I wonder if the goal behind it was to gauge how interested people might be for Sting in WWE. Because I don't see what purpose those vignettes served otherwise. They could have announced Undertaker officially returning, then had HHH come out as a surprise and it would have been the same thing.

TNA parodied the promos for Sting's return to TNA, which happened a short time later:

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Messiah » May 06, '18, 8:44 pm

Styles/Nakamura probably doesn't deserve to be in this conversation, but I feel obligated to shout it out. How has the WWE managed to screw-up something that was so easy to do?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to WWE