It is currently: Aug 22, '19, 7:19 am

Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Mar 04, '19, 1:35 am

Triple H back at it again. With Batista returning (in fairness, I watched the segment on Youtube and it was badass because Batista is badass), is there any doubt that Triple H will once again have the longest match at WrestleMania?
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby The Legend » Mar 04, '19, 8:39 am

Messiah wrote:Triple H back at it again. With Batista returning (in fairness, I watched the segment on Youtube and it was badass because Batista is badass), is there any doubt that Triple H will once again have the longest match at WrestleMania?


I would doubt that he has the longest match, because neither he nor Batista have the cardiovascular shape of a lot of the people on the card that are half their age.
  • 0

Image

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
User avatar
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 5575
Topics: 309
Joined: Tue Oct 8, 2013
Reputation: 1790

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Mar 04, '19, 1:33 pm

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:Triple H back at it again. With Batista returning (in fairness, I watched the segment on Youtube and it was badass because Batista is badass), is there any doubt that Triple H will once again have the longest match at WrestleMania?


I would doubt that he has the longest match, because neither he nor Batista have the cardiovascular shape of a lot of the people on the card that are half their age.


That didn't stop him from having the longest matches on all the other WrestleMania's. Hell Sting could barely move and they still had the longest match on the show. I would be absolutely shocked if Triple H's match didn't take the most time on the show.

Shame because Batista is a marvelous heel who probably could offer the most out of all the part-timers because there is still some mileage you could get out of it. I'd love it if he could work with someone else. And I know it's always been his request to do the program with Triple H, but still. Triple H is dull as fuck.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 08, '19, 7:05 am

Wasn't it at a reunion SD show where Batista teased a HHH Mania match? I mean, it's not like it's happened before.. :squint
  • 0

User avatar
AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 4768
Topics: 505
Age: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013
Reputation: 654

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Hanley! » Mar 08, '19, 1:51 pm

At this point, I think the single greatest Wrestlemania draw for me would be no Undertaker and no Triple H on the card.
  • 3

User avatar
Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 5586
Topics: 165
Age: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 8, 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Reputation: 3987

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Everlong » Mar 10, '19, 8:38 pm

Is Taker going to be on the card? I Haven't been paying attention.
  • 0

Image

Image

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
User avatar
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Topic Author
Posts: 10489
Topics: 2429
Age: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 7, 2013
Location: Brew City, USA
Reputation: 3768

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby VaderBomb » Mar 10, '19, 10:57 pm

Everlong wrote:Is Taker going to be on the card? I Haven't been paying attention.


Not yet announced. I honestly doubt it, their roster is so stacked that they need room for too many people to have both HHH and Taker on the card. It's been that way for awhile and it usually happnes, I just feel like this year is the breaking point.
  • 0

User avatar
VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 2086
Topics: 177
Age: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Reputation: 1322

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Hanley! » Mar 11, '19, 12:20 pm

Not so stacked that they don't apparently need a Triple H match and a Shane fucking McMahon match though.
  • 0

User avatar
Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 5586
Topics: 165
Age: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 8, 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Reputation: 3987

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Apr 07, '19, 11:46 pm

Triple H once again had the longest match at WrestleMania, not to mention the longest entrance by far.

Shocker!!!!

But yeah, it isn’t an ego tho. He totally deserves it. :rotf

Dude is too fucking predictable. I can’t believe people still defend him.
  • 4

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Apr 07, '19, 11:54 pm

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:Triple H back at it again. With Batista returning (in fairness, I watched the segment on Youtube and it was badass because Batista is badass), is there any doubt that Triple H will once again have the longest match at WrestleMania?


I would doubt that he has the longest match, because neither he nor Batista have the cardiovascular shape of a lot of the people on the card that are half their age.


LOL

Y’all underestimate the ego of Triple H.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Apr 08, '19, 12:22 am

KaiserGlider wrote:@Messiah

You keep saying that you don't understand how people aren't seeing your point. I think I see it. What I can't see is why you're choosing to make that argument right now. If this discussion had taken place two years ago, right after Reigns/HHH, then I probably would have been inclined to agree with most of your points. If the mixed tag match with Ronda had sucked, I probably wouldn't be on the opposite side of this discussion. But it was the match of the night at Wrestlemania. It surpassed all expectations and almost everyone seemed to love it. Yet the only takeaway you seem to get from it is that Triple H was in the longest match at Wrestlemania, that it was just another attempt for HHH to hog the spotlight, HHH this, HHH that. I don't get it. Is he the one shoving himself into things too much, or are you shoving him in needlessly?


Honest question. Do you still feel the same about Triple H after that showing? Not only did he have the longest entrance at WrestleMania (again), he had the longest match at WrestleMania (again), in a match that literally did nothing to progress anybody's career or story. And he won the match. In retrospect, I'm not sure how anyone could see it as anything less or other than an ego thing. Dude is full of himself. His match almost single-handedly ruined the show for me.

It's too predictable. The reason why the only takeaway I have from Triple H matches is that it is an attempt for him to hog the spotlight is because that is clearly why it is happening. In 2019, when the WWE roster is stronger than it ever has been, he is STILL having the longest matches at the biggest wrestling show the company has to offer REGARDLESS of how good his storyline has been. And maybe you could have defended it at WrestleMania 34 when he was involved in a story with Angle/Rousey, or WrestleMania 33 when he was wrestling Rollins, or 32 when he was wrestling Reigns for the WWE Championship, or WrestleMania 31 when he was wrestling Sting, or WrestleMania 30 when he was wrestling Bryan, or WrestleMania 29 when he was wrestling Lesnar, or WrestleMania 28 when he was wrestling Underaker, or WrestleMania 27 when he was wrestling Undertaker (again), but there is no way you can be so blind to see what is clearly going on. Dude is an egomaniac. It doesn't matter how much time is dedicated to his story on the weekly programs. It doesn't matter if he deserves it. When it comes down to it, Triple H will always have the longest match at WrestleMania because he is Triple H.

Next year, he will have the longest match. And the next year. And the next year. He's an egomaniac. And he isn't likable.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Hanley! » Apr 08, '19, 12:12 pm

I came here earlier to check if Triple H once again had the longest match of the show, trusting that Messiah would have provided this information. I'm not surprised, but it is completely ridiculous at this point. He had no business being in the longest match on the show. He has no business having one of the most spectacular entrances of the show year after year. It's complete egomania.

I haven't watched a full Wrestlemania since 31, and though it's not the only thing holding me back, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't start watching again until we got a Wrestlemania with no Triple H match and no Undertaker match (I think I'll have to add no Shane McMahon match to that now too). He's not a performer that I enjoy watching, and it's frustrating that he keeps booking himself into these high profile spots that he has no real reason to be in.
  • 0

User avatar
Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 5586
Topics: 165
Age: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 8, 2013
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Reputation: 3987

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 08, '19, 9:18 pm

Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan: 23:45

Triple H vs Batista: 24:45

LMAO THE MADMAN DID IT AGAIN. BY ONE MINUTE.

Hi Messiah. Yes, here we are one year later, finding ourselves reverting to this discussion once again... like I had a feeling we would. Yes, I did defend Haitch last year. I felt that he deserved it. He had just put over Ronda Rousey big time in the match of the night. And while I did acknowledge and understand you and other people's gripes with Triple H always having a big role at Wrestlemania, I also made the argument that over the past several years he had mostly been putting people over and losing his match and becoming less of a focal point in the buildup to the show.

This year though? I can't defend it. I don't want to. Hell, I've been against this shit ass Batista/Triple H feud from the beginning. Was gonna make post a while back about why it sucks. And now that I've been called out, might as well get to it.

First of all they bring Batista back at Smackdown 1000, and he cuts a tremendous babyface promo that fans eat up. A promo he finishes by stating that Triple H has accomplished everything in his career "except for beating me". So right away they establish that the feud will obviously culminate with Triple H finally getting his win over Batista. And I'm sitting there going... "why"? Why does Triple H need to get his win over Batista? One of the cool things about Batista's entire character is that he is basically the only person in WWE history to completely outsmart/dominate/own Triple H and beat him 3 times in a row on PPV. Batista was the absolute go-to example for anyone on any forum who wanted to make the argument that Triple H is capable of putting people over. And now Triple H got his win back over him too.

Anyway, despite getting a great babyface reaction and cutting a great babyface promo at Smackdown 1000, Batista returned as a heel and "beat up" Ric Flair. (And by "beat up", I mean drag Ric across the floor a bit because Ric cannot take any bumps at his age). The writers made no attempt to explain Batista's actions and neither did Batista, he just mumbled something about wanting to get Triple H's attention and being in control.

Of course then Triple H proceeded to deliver the patented growling Triple H promo about how the suit and tie are coming off, how Batista has his attention now, etc. We still didn't know what Batista wants, Triple H gives no indication that he knows either. What's far worse is that now Triple H is supposed to be the sympathetic babyface in the feud, and for the life of me I cannot understand why the heel/face alignments are this way. You're asking fans to boo Batista and cheer Triple H, the same guy who has been a corporate asshole for the better part of 5 years. Say what?

Then we get this rambling mess of a segment which ended up becaming a meme:



GIVE ME WHAT I WANT
I'M NOT GONNA GIVE YOU A DAMN THING
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT
I'M NOT GONNA GIVE YOU A DAMN THING
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT

So at the end it finally became clear what Batista's motivation is and HHH is like "oh okay then, you're on". This is what happens when writers have no idea what to do and just want to milk shit for the longest possible time.

Then the following week it got even better: Triple H agreed to put his career on the line - which basically meant that Batista's chances of winning decreased from 0% to about -250%. Not only that, but at this point I REALLY started to notice a pattern here between this feud and the feud between Triple H and Brock Lesnar before Wrestlemania 29:

- Big muscular guy returns and beats up old guy who has connection to Triple H (Brock beat up Vince, Batista beat up Ric)
- Triple H is angry and agrees to fight said big guy to avenge old guy
- It's a no holds barred match
- Triple H's career is on the line

Wait a minute... it's literally the EXACT SAME feud Triple H had with Brock in 2013. Come on!

So as you can see I really had no interest in this match going in. The premise was lame, the story was terribly executed, and the match itself was likely not going to be very good because Batista's last run in 2014 was awful. I'll go as far as to say it's one of the worst builds to a big Wrestlemania match I've ever seen. And even if it WAS a really good match, not much is accomplished - like you said. Overall, a disappointing departure from Triple H's Wrestlemania feuds and matches in recent years.

Batista should have been the babyface who wanted to have the last match of his career with Triple H, and Triple H should have been the coward ducking it every chance he got out of fear that he would get beat by Batista AGAIN. I get that Batista likes playing a heel and he's a cool heel or whatever, but all the stuff he did in this feud could have gone over better if he had been the face. I mean, just look at the way the match went. Triple H spent half of it torturing Batista like some kind of sadistic psychopath and then only won through Ric Flair's help. Did Batista do anything in the entire match that was heelish? No. So again, this heel/face alignment is bonkers.

THAT BEING SAID... I actually thought the match was decent. Batista did better than I thought he would. HBK was good on commentary and I'm glad he didn't superkick anyone for once. The finish was good. The pace was slow, yes, though I prefer the term... ahem... "methodical". That's always been Triple H's style and I still dig it. Should the match have been shorter? Absolutely, especially the entrances. Should Batista have won? Absolutely not, since Triple H will still be around for years to come and will presumably put someone over in the future. I just wish the match result wasn't so predictable with the bullshit "Triple H's career on the line" stipulation. If you just want to look at this as Batista's final match (which it was), then it's damn sure not a bad way to go out... compared to his 2014 run anyway.

But alas. I admit it. Triple H's ego needs to be put in check. His over-the-top entrances have become a staple of Wrestlemania every year, and the thing is, I'm not sure if he's even self-aware of now unnecessarily cheesy they have become. Hell, this year he kayfabe didn't even have a reason to do a special entrance since the feud with Batista was supposed to be "personal". Or something. If Triple H was instead putting over Braun Strowman this year, (which he should have been because Braun had nothing to do), then I would have been inclined to come to his defense once again. But this year I just couldn't do it. Damn you Hunter, just GIVE ME WHAT I WANT. YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT. JUST GIVE IT TO ME. GIVE ME WHAT I WANT. I WANT TO DEFEND YOU AT WRESTLEMANIA.

And to think. Triple H suffered an injury at the Saudi show back in the fall. For a second there it almost seemed like he wasn't gonna make it to Wrestlemania this year and all you guys would have had a field day. But The Game... The Game always finds a way. See you next year.
  • 20

Image
User avatar
KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 2162
Topics: 460
Age: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 7, 2013
Reputation: 1240

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby Messiah » Apr 08, '19, 10:42 pm

:lol It's all love man

I actually agree with you that the match wasn't THAT bad. I mean, I didn't care for it, but that is because I don't care about Triple H. It's never really been Triple H's individual performances that drew the ire from me though. It's when you look at it overall. It's maddening how consistent this trend has been, it's impossible to even chalk it up to anything less than a massive ego trip. And what makes it worse is the WWE roster is insanely talented. Like insanely talented. How is it John Cena, who is infinitely more interesting at this stage, is able to step out of the spotlight far sooner than Triple H? If the WWE needs a veteran hand to make a match feel huge, I'd much rather than choose Cena if they would rather not dedicate that time to the supremely talented wrestlers who couldn't make the show.

Someone pointed it out somewhere else but Balor and Rollins had a combined 6.5 minutes for their matches. Even if you include Lesnar's beatdown beforehand, that is only about 10-12 minutes.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 3191
Topics: 467
Joined: Wed Oct 9, 2013
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
Reputation: 2102

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 09, '19, 5:00 am

Oh Trips, his total match time length put together is probably more than some high-esteemed legends put together! This is the memory that will take precedence of what was a fantastic build for HHH v Batista I at WrestleMania 21, just so HHH could beat Dave and the latter could retire from sports entertainment as well, why retire at a lesser stage when you're a Hollywood star.
  • 0

User avatar
AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 4768
Topics: 505
Age: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013
Reputation: 654

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 09, '19, 8:59 pm

When you don't walk for enough miles inside a pit of danger.
  • 0

Image
User avatar
KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 2162
Topics: 460
Age: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 7, 2013
Reputation: 1240

Re: Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph was surprisingly entertaining

Postby PorkChop » Apr 10, '19, 1:19 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:When you don't walk for enough miles inside a pit of danger.

A pretty big pit when you think about it
  • 0

User avatar
PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion
 
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
 
Posts: 7080
Topics: 1422
Joined: Tue Oct 8, 2013
Reputation: 2114

 

Previous

Return to WWE

Who is Online Now?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Reputation System ©'