It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 12:16 pm

Charlotte vs Asuka is the match I'm most excited for

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Charlotte vs Asuka is the match I'm most excited for

Postby Messiah » Mar 15, '18, 11:13 am

If there is one match at WrestleMania I'll be sure to check out, it's Asuka/Charlotte.

This is an example of what happens when you take your time building up a dominant challenger, meanwhile doing the same thing with Charlotte. In a way, this match feels like 2+ years in the making. Asuka's beaten nearly every noteworthy female in the company. She's been portrayed as out of this world dominant. Meanwhile Charlotte has clearly been positioned as #1. Rarely is she not champion. Charlotte's character work has always been top notch, from the way she carries herself to how she performs in the ring. She comes across as royalty. I would have enjoyed an Asuka/Banks feud, but this is clearly the one that made sense and especially for WrestleMania. The de facto number one wrestler in her division vs the undefeated Asuka. Even their confrontation on SmackDown was nice, both of them donning their colorful robes.

It makes all the sense in the world that Asuka wins this match, but it's Charlotte. Which is why I'm really excited for this. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that Asuka would beat Bliss or Bayley or Banks for the title. But Charlotte? There is doubt. It isn't as predictable as it would be otherwise because if there is any wrestler they would have beat Asuka, it is Charlotte.

WWE has in many ways screwed up the women's revolution, but they have done a wonderful job with Charlotte and Asuka. It is why I think this is, by far, the most interesting match at WrestleMania right now.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Charlotte vs Asuka is the match I'm most excited for

Postby The Legend » Mar 15, '18, 11:24 am

I agree it is on the short list of my most anticipated matches at Mania. They have done a decent job of building the story, although I wish they'd get a little more creative in how to tell the story and hide Asuka's declarative weakness. I don't really have any doubt Asuka wins. Charlotte may get the win back at a later date against her (I'd make it months down the line after they've been kept apart if they go this route), but I could also easily see the win going to Ronda or Sasha at some point, but it makes too much sense for Asuka to win the belt while still undefeated.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Re: Charlotte vs Asuka is the match I'm most excited for

Postby Hanley! » Mar 15, '18, 6:43 pm

This would be one of the matches that I'm more interested in also. This feud already isn't perfect - they don't need to keep forcing Asuka to talk, and Charlotte's material and delivery in the above promo is fucking atrocious. However, this is one of the few feuds where at least the essentials are correct.

This is a one on one match for a championship that matters, between two protected wrestlers who haven't faced each other before. They both come off like stars, and they both have something major to lose. This is what Wrestlemania is supposed to be. This is the formula that made it the biggest and best show of the year when it was executed properly. It's wrestling with substance.

The matches that I care about at all are kind of surprising me. Styles vs Nakamura is a no brainer, because of the talent involved. It has the most potential in terms of match quality, and as a major Styles mark I'm excited to see him get a title match at Wrestlemania. It adds to his legacy nicely. But I'm worried the feud up until Wrestlemania will suck. They just don't have a clue how to use Nakamura, and they're not the best at using a babyface Styles either (the guy is a once in a generation performer and athlete, stop trying to sell him as a scrappy underdog every-man).

But weirdly the other match that holds some appeal is New Day vs Usos vs Bludgeon Brothers. I'm not even a New Day fan, but that's all the more reason to celebrate the fact that they finally have something to be serious about. The Usos have been a revelation since turning heel, and it seems like WWE might be onto something with the Bludgeon Brothers act. If these three teams could replicate the kind of match that the Revival, DIY and Authors of Pain had at Takeover last year, this could be a real winner.

Nothing else on the card is really doing it for me.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to WWE