It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:57 am

THANK YOU BIG SHOW

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

THANK YOU BIG SHOW

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 28, '18, 3:02 pm

His contract is up today. He didn't want a sentimental last match so we will likely never see the big man wrestle again. Let's share some of our favorite Big Show matches or moments.

Here is one of mine:

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: THANK YOU BIG SHOW

Postby VaderBomb » Mar 01, '18, 9:05 am

Well shit. Now is reported that he is not retiring and will be back for Mania.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Mar 01, '18, 9:54 am

Dammit Big Show, just retire. :lol

He's a pretty crap wrestler at this point, and as a personality he's almost impossible to care about because his character and his allegiances have changed so often throughout his career. He's a great promo and actor when given the right material though, and has had a few real career highlights as a result. His Wrestlemania 24 match with Mayweather always stands out to me as a great piece of business and the most entertaining celebrity wrestling crossover that I can remember watching.

But at this point, I don't think anyone really cares too much about seeing him at Wrestlemania or even on Raw. I've heard him say in an interview recently that he prefers performing at house shows now, and that actually seems like a much better spot for him. His history doesn't really matter in that context, he just has to be a larger than life personality and entertain the fans that are right in front of him. He's good at that.

I'm worn out from 90s wrestling in general at this point. I can't wait for that first Wrestlemania that doesn't have any 90s stars on the card. It should be coming any decade now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Mar 01, '18, 5:15 pm

#TheOriginal

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 01, '18, 9:33 pm

Didn't he have an IRONCLAD CONTRACT?

Big Show booked well is a real star. He was probably at his best as a babyface during Smackdown in 2004, when he wiped out the entire Smackdown roster upon returning and then feuded with Angle and JBL. I look back fondly on that run; he truly felt like an unstoppable force during that time. As a heel he was good as the ECW Champion, literally a big fish in a small pond where nobody could stand up to him, with Heyman as his manager to boot.

I think the general problems with Big Show have usually been result of booking rather than him as a performer. To sum it up, he has been overexposed throughout his career. He should not have been out there on every show wrestling every week like a regular guy. I credit him for putting over so many people throughout his career (Strowman most recently), but he should not have lost that many times. And the amount of heel/face turns has been absolutely absurd, to the point of becoming a meme. As Show himself said, his character has lost all integrity and has become “like Nascar, too many turns”. I think if he was booked as more of a special attraction and was involved in less stupid angles, his career would have been seen in a more positive light.

But to end this on a positive note, I say thank you Big Show… a.k.a The Giant/Paul Wight/Captain Insano. Thanks for being the most versatile giant in wrestling, thanks for all the memorable moments, the unexpectantly good matches, and the awesome entrance theme (WELLLLL… the old one, anyway).

Cheap Plug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5894

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » Mar 06, '18, 1:51 pm

It's hard to believe Big Show is still around after all these years. Big guys' bodies tend to break down much quicker, and he's been at it for over 20 years now between his WCW and WWF/E runs.

He's long since passed his prime and should probably just retire, but Kaiser is right that when booked well he's been a treat. Problem is, I don't really know what there is left to do with him at this point, and the general WWE fanbase has evolved to a point where a huge 7'0/450lb guy is no longer any kind of attraction. Most of the wrestlers people are marking for these days are generally smaller and more athletic guys who are capable of wrestling faster-paced matches.

Big Show is kind of a dinosaur of the industry in that regard. He's contributed a lot but it's probably better for everyone if he officially steps away soon.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Viazon » Mar 09, '18, 3:10 pm

That time the ring broke is genuinely one of the greatest things I've ever seen. The way the crowd reacted to it as well was awesome.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby The Legend » Mar 09, '18, 6:08 pm

Viazon wrote:That time the ring broke is genuinely one of the greatest things I've ever seen. The way the crowd reacted to it as well was awesome.

Absolutely, the way they pulled it off the first time was fantastic. It's been watered down since, but that first time was excellent.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Mar 11, '18, 3:09 pm

Everlong wrote:It's hard to believe Big Show is still around after all these years. Big guys' bodies tend to break down much quicker, and he's been at it for over 20 years now between his WCW and WWF/E runs.

When I was in Year 3 in school, there was a kid who knew all the words to EVERY wrestler's theme music. I remember him singing Big Show's theme quite often.

This was the first year of Junior School. I was 7. I'll be 27 this year. Crazy to think that Big Show has been going for this long.

As for my favourite Big Show moment, it has to be when WWE treated fans to a Big Show vs Mark Henry main event at a house show in Birmingham. The arena cleared out almost instantly.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Return to WWE