It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:02 am

Is there a bigger match in the WWE's back pocket than Asuka/Rousey?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Is there a bigger match in the WWE's back pocket than Asuka/Rousey?

Postby Messiah » Jan 29, '18, 2:27 pm

The way I see it, WrestleMania 35 (next year) should be headlined by Rousey vs Asuka. Rousey is one of the biggest names in the world, a bad-ass who at her peak dominated in the UFC, while Asuka is quite possibly the most dominant women wrestler of all-time. It is a super easy story, one that can make money. Not to mention, you don't want to do the first women's match in the main event of 'Mania wrong. This would be the perfect one.

There is still a lot of mileage you can get out of Asuka as Women's Champion. I'm not sure I would have her go undefeated still over the next year (maybe have Banks beat her down the road via cheating), but she'd still be booked as absolutely dominant and I'd make sure if she did lose, it was never clean. Meanwhile Rousey is Rousey - not much you have to do there. It'd be hard to fuck her up.

I can't think of a match that has the potential to be bigger if done right. Is it even possible to screw it up?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Is there a bigger match in the WWE's back pocket than Asuka/Rousey?

Postby Hanley! » Jan 29, '18, 2:45 pm

It's a cool idea and I'd be into it, even if I'm not an MMA fan and therefore don't care too much about Rousey. A worthy women's main event would be a great thing for the company, and it would be cool to see the match happen after that much build. I'd prefer that to seeing Rousey end Asuka's streak not long after Asuka started on the main roster, at Wrestlemania 34. That's a waste of a gimmick to me.

I would keep Asuka undefeated for the year too. Why not? I loved that about her in NXT. They weren't just going to beat Asuka because X amount of time had passed. Asuka was crazy over there, and her run never got old. The fans never turned on her because she had held the belt too long, because her run was that damn good. I'd love to see a champion have that kind of run on the main roster. It'd be somewhat similar to what Okada is doing over in New Japan at the moment.

I don't see the point of breaking a streak like that until you've got a massive main event on your hands, and can milk the defeat for all it's worth. Asuka vs Rousey would be that kind of match. Or you could hold it off for another big match down the line. Personally I'd probably only give it to Rousey if she really is working full-time, but you couldn't complain too much about her winning on that kind of stage anyway.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Jan 29, '18, 2:50 pm

Hanley! wrote:It's a cool idea and I'd be into it, even if I'm not an MMA fan and therefore don't care too much about Rousey. A worthy women's main event would be a great thing for the company, and it would be cool to see the match happen after that much build. I'd prefer that to seeing Rousey end Asuka's streak not long after Asuka started on the main roster, at Wrestlemania 34. That's a waste of a gimmick to me.

I would keep Asuka undefeated for the year too. Why not? I loved that about her in NXT. They weren't just going to beat Asuka because X amount of time had passed. Asuka was crazy over there, and her run never got old. The fans never turned on her because she had held the belt too long, because her run was that damn good. I'd love to see a champion have that kind of run on the main roster. It'd be somewhat similar to what Okada is doing over in New Japan at the moment.

I don't see the point of breaking a streak like that until you've got a massive main event on your hands, and can milk the defeat for all it's worth. Asuka vs Rousey would be that kind of match. Or you could hold it off for another big match down the line. Personally I'd probably only give it to Rousey if she really is working full-time, but you couldn't complain too much about her winning on that kind of stage anyway.

IMO the only reason why I would end it would be to establish Banks as a top heel, especially if she stays on Raw. Banks has so much potential that I think they are wasting away and she hasn't had a true heel run on the main roster yet. I think a heel Banks vs Asuka could make for an AMAZING story if done right. They both have a crap-ton of charisma and the matches would be brilliant.

Other than Banks though, yeah, I would agree. Keep Asuka undefeated until then. But I think if you do turn Banks heel, it wouldn't be a bad move. It would really establish Banks even more and get her over more as heel. Otherwise they need to send Banks to SmackDown. A Banks/Rousey feud could be cool too.

To be fair I'm still a massive Banks homer. I still think she's the best women on their roster all things considered. I feel like a lot of people forget how good she is/was because of her main roster run, but heel Banks is so damn good. I can't believe they have kept her face for so long. It made me so excited to see them tease her going bad at the end of the Rumble.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby Hanley! » Jan 29, '18, 3:02 pm

The main roster booking has killed my excitement for most of the women. I was a massive mark for all of the Four Horsewomen. Since being called up from NXT, Bayley has been completely ruined and Banks has been almost completely ruined. Becky and Charlotte are hanging in there, but they haven't been used to their fullest by any means. These were some of my favourite characters in the whole company two years ago. It's almost impressive how bad the main roster crew are at getting - or even just keeping - wrestlers over.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 29, '18, 9:38 pm

Hanley! wrote:The main roster booking has killed my excitement for most of the women. I was a massive mark for all of the Four Horsewomen. Since being called up from NXT, Bayley has been completely ruined and Banks has been almost completely ruined. Becky and Charlotte are hanging in there, but they haven't been used to their fullest by any means. These were some of my favourite characters in the whole company two years ago. It's almost impressive how bad the main roster crew are at getting - or even just keeping - wrestlers over.

Bayley has been fucked so badly. I remember the massive pop she got when she made her main roster debut, and then last night she came out to almost no reaction. And her run in the match sucked too - came out at #29 (super late and right in front of Trish) and was then eliminated without much fanfare. I don't remember what she did. Would have been much better if they brought her out in the first third of the match, which was the weakest portion.

As for Rousey, the thing that concerns me is her in-ring skills. She's never had a pro-wrestling match before, so isn't it premature to be fantasy booking her in super high-profile matches like this? They could have put Ronda in the Rumble last night and had her win, but they didn't. That's probably because they want to save her in-ring debut and also protect Asuka, but the fact remains that she hasn't had a pro-wrestling match yet. I bet she will be booked like Goldberg and make people tap out in 30 seconds like she did in her UFC fights. But is that the kind of match that should main event Wrestlemania? I just want to see what she's capable of before deciding what to do with her a year from now.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to WWE