It is currently: Apr 24, '24, 1:27 pm

Women's Rumble

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Women's Rumble

Postby The Legend » Jan 02, '18, 5:33 pm

So last night it was announced that the Women's rumble will include 30 people. One problem with that, there's only 18 or 19 active women who are available depending on Paige's injury status. So more than a third of the entrants won't be on the active roster.

On that note, who do people think we'll see? I could see a couple from NXT like Ember Moon and maybe Peyton Royce. I'd guess Ronda Rousey not only enters, but wins as the 30th entrant. That leaves almost 10 spots for "legendary" women to enter. Some possibilities: Eve Torres, Kaitlynn, Kelly Kelly, Layla. Victoria, Trish Stratus, Torrie Wilson?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: Women's Rumble

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 02, '18, 9:46 pm

There's plenty of women from the past they can bring in as "surprise" entrants to help fill things up. I'm sure Trish/Lita/Beth Phoenix will all get calls. Could see the Bellas both being in it as well.

Probably a couple NXT women may find their way in as well.

I think Rousey is winning and facing Charlotte at Mania though.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Jan 03, '18, 9:13 am

Str8Shooter wrote:There's plenty of women from the past they can bring in as "surprise" entrants to help fill things up. I'm sure Trish/Lita/Beth Phoenix will all get calls. Could see the Bellas both being in it as well.

Probably a couple NXT women may find their way in as well.

I think Rousey is winning and facing Charlotte at Mania though.

Agree with Rousey winning, but I would bet on her facing Asuka.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jan 05, '18, 6:28 pm

I've long been in favour of a Rumble match for the women, but I think including 30 women was a big mistake.

There's less than 20 active competitors on the main roster, two of those are champions and one or both of those might also have matches at the Rumble pay per view (though both seems unlikely) which would take even more people out of contention. Which means they need to fill up half of the match with NXT competitors or "legends".

The only competitors from NXT who could realistically make any sort of impact in a Rumble match would be Ember Moon, Nikki Cross, Kairi Sane, Peyton Royce, Billie Kay and Shayna Bayzler. And even most of those wouldn't get much of a reaction.

That leaves probably 10 spots to fill with either complete unknowns or "legends", but I'm guessing there are a limited number of former "WWE Divas" who could get a real reaction, and who knows how many of those WWE would be able to pin down. Sure, Trish and Lita would get big pops. Phoenix, Molly Holly or Victoria would get a reaction. So would AJ Lee. But WWE will be lucky to get a couple of those names. They won't get all of them.

Ironically, despite this Royal Rumble being part of this so-called evolution of women's wrestling in WWE, it could wind up featuring a host of the kind of swimsuit model wrestlers that they've been patting themselves on the back for moving away from. I could see a lot of Kelly Kelly, Candice Michelle, Ashley Massaro being very eager to make this show. I hope I'm wrong on this. I'm not sure these types would get much of a reaction, and they sure as hell won't lead to any compelling action.

Even the talent on the main roster is a bit limited, when you think about some of the names that are being included there. Paige and Ruby Riot's stable mates are nondescript, untalented and not over. Lana has no business in the ring under any circumstances.

I think limiting this match to 20 names - though it sounds like a small move - could have made a big difference to the quality here. They could use most of the main roster, but leave out those who just aren't ready. Then a 2-3 talents from NXT and 2-3 former stars and you've got yourself a match. I fear that they'll struggle to fill that last 10 spots and it won't lead to anything good.

The big concerns for me here are:
1) The crowd will turn on the match due to a lack of star power
2) The match will fall apart due to some potentially unsuitable entrants
3) Someone rusty or green will hurt themselves bumping over the top rope

I do really hope this delivers though, because I like to see women's wrestling done well and it's the one thing WWE has over other major promotions at the moment. And I'm an advocate for the women's Rumble in general. I just worry that they've gone for too much too soon here.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 06, '18, 9:17 am

20 would have been better probably. But the optics of having a Women's Rumble for the very first time and it empowering women and there being equality and then it "only" having 20 women involved instead of the 30 for men would not be a good look for WWE and would invite plenty of criticism.

Same with the over the top rope thing. In the past they've done through any rope to the outside is an elimination for WWE womens battle royales. But if you're marketing it as a second Rumble it has to have the same rules.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Jan 06, '18, 10:32 am

Str8Shooter wrote:20 would have been better probably. But the optics of having a Women's Rumble for the very first time and it empowering women and there being equality and then it "only" having 20 women involved instead of the 30 for men would not be a good look for WWE and would invite plenty of criticism.

Same with the over the top rope thing. In the past they've done through any rope to the outside is an elimination for WWE womens battle royales. But if you're marketing it as a second Rumble it has to have the same rules.

It wouldn't have invited any criticism. How can they be criticized for not having more women in the Rumble than they have on their roster? A handful of idiots might have complained, but it wouldn't have even been a blip on the radar. The first men's Rumble had 20 wrestlers in it too actually, which they could have used by way of explanation if they feared any sort of backlash. Though I really don't think there would have been anything to worry about. They've been trying to improve the women's division in recent years, but nobody believes it to be on the same level as the men's "heavyweight" division yet.

I agree with you on the over the top rope thing. That would have invited criticism, and I also don't think there should be a different rule for the women than the men. But there is a reason that they used to have that rule for women's battle royales back when their female wrestlers were largely untrained. Taking those bumps can be dangerous, and if they're forced to bring in green workers or Divas due to the increased numbers, it could lead to problems.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 12, '18, 8:42 pm

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=114747

Paige has reportedly had a career-ending injury, so that's one less woman in the match.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Twister » Jan 13, '18, 7:37 am

Absolutely gutted for Paige, she’s so young and now she’s had her dreams snatched away from her. So unfortunate.

I reckon we’ll see a Brie Bella return. I’ll be disappointed if Ronda Rousey wins. No disrespect to her but the winner of the first women’s Royal Rumble should be a woman who’s an actual wrestler, either a future star or someone who has already helped pave the way for women’s wrestling and can push the division further. Plenty of women in the back are more deserving winners.

I’m excited to see how it pans out and I hope it’s a success.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Return to WWE