It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 11:53 pm

Styles vs Lesnar

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Styles vs Lesnar

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 20, '17, 12:16 am

Is the consensus that this was Brock's best singles match in a couple years? Everything seemed to click. Both guys sold each other's offense well, Styles was put over really strong by everyone and the crowd was hot throughout the entire match (not the case with Brock vs Braun). My only gripe was that it never felt like Brock had a chance of losing, but I guess that's where we're at now with him.

Do you think Lesnar vs Reigns could top this match?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Styles vs Lesnar

Postby Hanley! » Nov 20, '17, 5:27 am

It was already obvious that Brock would win, but I thought it was a big mistake to put this on second last, when Smackdown were 3-2 up. It meant there was only one way this match was going to go. It would have made more sense to put the women's title vs title match after this one.

I also would have liked to see this in the main event spot. Especially considering how shit the main event ended up being.

This was really good in the end. After the first five minutes I was getting a bit bored because Styles still hadn't fired a shot. He was taking the Lesnar bumps 10 times better than I've seen anyone else taking them lately, but I'm just kinda tired of the Brock Lesnar show. It really picked up after that and was an enjoyable match. The best match on the show without much competition. But I would have liked it more if they had given Styles a bit of shine at the start before Lesnar cut him off for the heat segment that started this match.

We've seen Reigns/Lesnar before and it was okay, but it wasn't great and I don't think there's any chance they have a better match than this at Wrestlemania. Not really at least. It'll be elevated in the eyes of the fans by the Mania near falls - no way is that match going to end after the first F5. But the work won't be as good as what we saw here.

I liked the Goldberg thing last year too, maybe Brock can just do Survivor Series from now on.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 20, '17, 8:31 am

I thought it was a blast to watch. Styles was selling Lesnar's offense like death. I get why some people are tired of Brock but he still feels like a big deal, which is rare for the roster right now.

Styles comeback was great and Lesnar deserves full credit for selling like death right back for Styles. Even with Brock winning pretty much a foregone conclusion I still have some doubts as AJ had some of those near falls, which is a sign of a great match to me.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Nov 20, '17, 8:44 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I thought it was a blast to watch. Styles was selling Lesnar's offense like death. I get why some people are tired of Brock but he still feels like a big deal, which is rare for the roster right now.

Styles comeback was great and Lesnar deserves full credit for selling like death right back for Styles. Even with Brock winning pretty much a foregone conclusion I still have some doubts as AJ had some of those near falls, which is a sign of a great match to me.

I would have had no complaints about this match if Lesnar's recent offerings hadn't been so routine. If him just killing Styles for 5 minutes was a departure from what he usually does, I would have been into it, because Styles was bumping like crazy for those suplexes.

Props to Lesnar for his selling later in the match too. And after the match - he took quite a while to get back to his feet, and then limped slowly all the way to the back. He made a real effort to keep Styles strong in defeat.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 20, '17, 9:19 am

Hanley! wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:I thought it was a blast to watch. Styles was selling Lesnar's offense like death. I get why some people are tired of Brock but he still feels like a big deal, which is rare for the roster right now.

I would have had no complaints about this match if Lesnar's recent offerings hadn't been so routine. If him just killing Styles for 5 minutes was a departure from what he usually does, I would have been into it, because Styles was bumping like crazy for those suplexes.

Props to Lesnar for his selling later in the match too. And after the match - he took quite a while to get back to his feet, and then limped slowly all the way to the back. He made a real effort to keep Styles strong in defeat.

You can tell who Brock likes and wants to work with and who he doesn't. With Joe and AJ he seemed into it, Dean Ambrose, not so much.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Nov 20, '17, 10:59 am

I'll agree with Steve in that the better option would have been to have Styles come out like a man possessed and used his speed to go after Brock for 2-3 minutes before Lesnar caught him and then they play out the match the rest of the way like it was last night. There was nothing wrong with the match, and it was probably Brock's best match since Punk, but it would have taken it to a whole other level if Styles could have done some damage before being so desperate.

I'll also agree that the match should have gone on last to build more suspense of it, especially since the tag match never gave SD a shot at winning. If it was 3-3 going in I would have paused a moment thinking Styles could actually pull it off.

As for Lesnar's selling, great by him if he was actually selling, but I don't think so. Lesnar's never sold an injury that well in his life. His knee buckled when he caught Styles and I think we find out tonight that he tore his ACL and will be out until SummerSlam - if he doesn't choose to retire outright.

If that's the case I wonder what they'll do to re-shuffle the deck for Mania.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Nov 20, '17, 11:00 am

Hanley! wrote:Props to Lesnar for his selling later in the match too. And after the match - he took quite a while to get back to his feet, and then limped slowly all the way to the back. He made a real effort to keep Styles strong in defeat.

This is what I hate the most about Lesnar's current run. They never give him much of a chance to sell anymore. He might be my favorite seller of all-time but he never gets a chance to show it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Nov 20, '17, 11:01 am

The Legend wrote:As for Lesnar's selling, great by him if he was actually selling, but I don't think so. Lesnar's never sold an injury that well in his life. His knee buckled when he caught Styles and I think we find out tonight that he tore his ACL and will be out until SummerSlam - if he doesn't choose to retire outright.

Lesnar has always been amazing at selling. He's so good (and realistic) at selling that he's convinced you he might have torn an ACL.

His match with HHH at Extreme Rules years ago is one example of his all-star selling abilities.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Nov 20, '17, 11:13 am

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:As for Lesnar's selling, great by him if he was actually selling, but I don't think so. Lesnar's never sold an injury that well in his life. His knee buckled when he caught Styles and I think we find out tonight that he tore his ACL and will be out until SummerSlam - if he doesn't choose to retire outright.

Lesnar has always been amazing at selling. He's so good (and realistic) at selling that he's convinced you he might have torn an ACL.

His match with HHH at Extreme Rules years ago is one example of his all-star selling abilities.

I won't comment on his first run, but when has he sold like that in his most recent run?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 20, '17, 10:33 pm

I think New Day vs Shield was my match of the night, but I totally get anyone who picks AJ/Lesnar.

I re-watched Lesnar vs Ambrose from Wrestlemania 32 recently and it's better than people give it credit for. I think the problem was expectations at the time were too high (mine included) and people expected an epic 20 minute brawl. That was the first of Lesnar matches to end abruptly with one F5, but I think it's overall a better match than Lesnar vs Joe, Orton, and Braun. Brock looked like he had been in a fight after the match and at least Ambrose took enough damage to lose believably. At the end of the day, the biggest problem was that this match completely killed Ambrose's momentum and I don't know if he ever managed to regain it... even when he was WWE Champion on Smackdown.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Nov 21, '17, 5:37 am

I'm surprised to hear you say that Shield vs New Day was your match of the night. I enjoyed the match, but didn't find it very memorable. I could only name a couple of spots from it two days later.

I think the show suffered from a lack of stakes or a real reason to invest in most of the matches. The New Day vs Shield match and the Usos vs Bar match in particular probably would have impressed me more if there was a reason to really care who won. When I was watching them, I knew that the work was all technically very good, but I was still getting a little bored at times. That's really down to how Survivor Series is presented nowadays, and not a fault of any of the actual performers.

I thought Styles/Lesnar was the match of the night, but the WWE match of the weekend goes to Velveteen Dream vs Alistair Black. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed that match. Velveteen Dream was actually really good, and considering how young the guy is, I think he could be a big star for WWE down the line.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Nov 21, '17, 6:15 pm

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:

I won't comment on his first run, but when has he sold like that in his most recent run?

HHH/Brock Extreme Rules. Punk/Brock at SummerSlam. Even Reigns/Lesnar at WM saw Lesnar sell incredibly well once Reigns got going on offense.

Brock is very good at selling. Hell, even right here is a good example:

LIS, he convinced you the other night that he was legitimately injured. It takes an amazing and at the same time realistic seller to accomplish that. Unfortunately Brock doesn't get many opportunities to sell like that, but when he does he always goes above and beyond.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Nov 21, '17, 6:30 pm

New Day / Shield was fun to me. I came in with the expectation that The Shield was definitely going to win, but they were able to convince me the New Day had a chance which is always a good thing. It's close between that and AJ/Brock. Main thing that hurt the latter is I knew with SmackDown up by 1 that Lesnar was not going to lose.

I wish Cesaro/Sheamus vs Usos had been given more time. I thought that was a really good match.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to WWE