It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:23 pm

Asuka relinquishes NXT women's title

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Asuka relinquishes NXT women's title

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 06, '17, 10:20 pm

Asuka and William Regal made a joint announcement that Asuka would give up the NXT women's title (she is still undefeated) and move up to the main roster. Which show should she be on?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Asuka relinquishes NXT women's title

Postby Circled Square » Sep 07, '17, 1:07 am

Asuka vs Nattie sounds comfy

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Sep 07, '17, 11:47 am

I've got mixed feelings about this. Asuka is the best female performer in the company and she should be on the main roster. They should be trying to do as much as they can with her, and she deserves that sort of pay day. There's also not much more for her to do on NXT.

But she has been NXT's greatest ever performer and the show will suffer from her absence. Being able to rely on a great women's match featuring a super over champion at every Takeover show for a year and a half was awesome, and it's something people probably took for granted.

NXT also booked her right. She was always over, she always came off like a complete beast, and they never beat her for no reason. It's a little sad that they didn't get to pay off her undefeated streak on NXT, but it was never the right time and keeping her win streak going has always been the right decision up until now. What I'm worried about is that it'll all come to an end on the main roster when she loses via distraction and roll-up in her third week on television.

If I was booking her on the main roster, I'd have her start on Raw. They've managed to kill the credibility of all the other babyface women on that brand so they could use a fresh face. I'd have Asuka win the title in short order and then spend months beating everyone. If she loses any match in any way within her first 9 months it'd be a colossal mistake. Hell, if they manage to make her work as champion for 2 years without being beaten, then better still.

Raw is also a good choice for Asuka because Nia Jax is there. I'd have her destroy Nia Jax as soon as she shows up as a statement of intent. Establish her immediately as the Brock Lesnar of the women's division - someone not to be fucked with. Plus, if she starts on Raw then they can save Asuka vs Charlotte, Asuka vs Becky and Asuka vs Natalya for later. And I feel like those are the potential money matches for her right now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Sep 07, '17, 12:19 pm

Asuka vs Heel Sasha Banks would be epic. But they'll never turn Banks back to a heel it seems. Otherwise the perfect opportunity would have been to have Banks turn on Bayley.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby SlightlyJames » Sep 07, '17, 12:43 pm

Messiah wrote:But they'll never turn Banks back to a heel it seems.

And I really don't get that? She's no good as a babyface. Most of her value is in her character work and her character is a fuckin heel through and through.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 07, '17, 1:02 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Messiah wrote:But they'll never turn Banks back to a heel it seems.

And I really don't get that? She's no good as a babyface. Most of her value is in her character work and her character is a fuckin heel through and through.

They won't turn her heel because they have no good babyfaces on Raw, especially after they completely fucked up Bayley's character to the point she was getting booed. I firmly believe Sasha was going to turn heel on Bayley but they figured Sasha would get cheered over her so they changed plans.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Sep 07, '17, 3:32 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:They won't turn her heel because they have no good babyfaces on Raw, especially after they completely fucked up Bayley's character to the point she was getting booed. I firmly believe Sasha was going to turn heel on Bayley but they figured Sasha would get cheered over her so they changed plans.

The fans are beginning to turn on Sasha too though. So I'm not sure her getting cheered against Bayley is such a big concern. Also, they've been bottling the Sasha/Bayley thing since before Bayley started getting a negative reaction. Any fan or booker or wrestler in the world would have said at the start of the year that Bayley should win the title at Wrestlemania from Charlotte, and then Sasha would turn on Bayley at or before their match at Summerslam in Brooklyn - the rematch of their MOTY in the same city two years ago. It was the best kind of predictable story. It was obvious, but only because it was what everyone wanted to see.

Despite this being what everyone predicted, WWE has never shown interest in going that direction. Bayley won the title prematurely in a way that made her seem heelish, they had a nothing fatal fourway title match at Wrestlemania and then Bayley lost the title to Bliss almost immediately. That Bayley/Banks collision that everyone was predicting never seemed to be on their radar. I have no idea why either. I guess they just wanted to put all their focus on Bliss because she's a good talker (and I like Bliss, but her run should have waited) and Nia Jax because she's big.

They actually couldn't have done a better job of destroying the Raw women's division if they had been trying. The only female wrestler there who hasn't gone down in people's estimation in 2017 is Bliss. At this point, I say bring Asuka up as the badass babyface and let her destroy everyone for the foreseeable future. There's nobody else there I care about by now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 07, '17, 5:00 pm

Sasha never acts like a babyface. The only time is when she virtually breaks character and gives her big speeches about doing this for women and dreaming of doing this her whole life and achieving her dreams. But as far as the "Boss" character goes, she (or the writers) haven't found a way to translate that gimmick to a face gimmick.

They better figure something out though, I do not see the crowd getting behind Nia Jax as a babyface at all. And I suppose they could try with Bliss, but she seems much better as a heel. Emma isn't over at all and Mickie is basically cannon fodder for everyone else.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Return to WWE