It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:02 am

How would you have booked CM Punk after Pipebomb 2011?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

How would you have booked CM Punk after Pipebomb 2011?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 09, '17, 2:35 pm

I'd listened to it before but I came across Punk's interview with Colt Cabana on his podcast where he went into depth about the circumstances that led to his departure from the WWE.

So, put yourself in a booking position and you have Punk after his Pipebomb on your intray to plan out his year ahead?

What do you propose?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: How would you have booked CM Punk after Pipebomb 2011?

Postby Messiah » Jul 09, '17, 2:56 pm

I have thought about this before and while there are probably a million things better the WWE could have done with this storyline post-Money in the Bank '11 (everything up to that point was perfect) than what they went with, I'm not sure what the best route would have been. The main issue was the call to go ahead and make Rock/Cena the main event of WrestleMania 28 on the Raw after WrestleMania 27. That eliminates a lot of scenarios because if you truly want to maximize the story, Punk HAS to main event WrestleMania.

Honestly, I think the best thing they could have done was not go with Punk winning the title at MITB but have Cena win it with help from McMahon and/or his croonies. I know saying Cena should have turned heel might be cliche, but it would have been a great opportunity to pull the trigger on it without it feeling forced and it making sense. Cena is all about doing what is best for the company and the fans. It would make sense for him to do all it takes to keep the WWE Championship in-house and not with who he considers a traitor. They would have been able to slow-build this over the next several months. Punk eventually returns and takes the title off of Cena then.

I might try to come up with a more in-depth story arc if I have time.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Re: How would you have booked CM Punk after Pipebomb 2011?

Postby Kreashko » Jul 09, '17, 5:26 pm

I would have had Punk leave with the title after MITB until at least Survivor Series. Then when they would crown a new champion like they did, Punk could have comeback months down the road and claim that he never lost the title and at SS they would've had a unification match to see who's the true champion.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to WWE