It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:54 am

Is Bray Wyatt beyond saving?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Is Bray Wyatt beyond saving?

Postby prophet » Jul 09, '17, 9:12 am

The guy loses 90% of his significant feuds and cuts the same boring, nothing promos every week. So I ask, is Bray Wyatt past the point of no return? Is he doomed to repeat his schtick forever or is there still hope that they can legitimise his character?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Is Bray Wyatt beyond saving?

Postby Hanley! » Jul 09, '17, 1:25 pm

Could the character be saved? Yes. It doesn't really matter that Wyatt has lost so constantly up until now, because he doesn't need to be the toughest guy to be over with his particular gimmick. The character works best as the leader of a cult group. So it would be very possible to revamp the character by positioning him as the leader of a larger, tougher Wyatt Family who can do his dirty work for him. If they improved his character motivations and his rhetoric at the same time, I reckon he could still work great as the company's top heel.

Will the character be saved? No. I'm 100% certain that he'll always suck. This is for a couple of reasons. First of all, for the cult character to actually work they would need to go a little darker than they are willing to. Consider the fact that I don't think they've even used the word 'cult' to describe the Wyatt Family in years, if ever. They're more comfortable keeping a character like this vague and shallow so that it can't cause offense. It's not even necessarily a PG issue. Wyatt's gimmick could still work in a PG environment, but it needs to be darker than WWE are willing to go with it.

Second of all, it takes a little bit of talent to write a character like this well. Bray would need to have a great understanding of his own character, and the WWE writers would need to have a clue. Which they sadly don't. When the writers try to make a story more complicated they inevitably botch it.

If I was booking the shows, Bray is one of the characters I'd be most excited to work with. So it's always been irritating to me that they can't get anything good out of him.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Return to WWE