It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 7:39 am

New US Champion!

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

New US Champion!

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 08, '17, 12:42 pm

AJ Styles beat Kevin Owens at a house show at MSG to win the United States Championship.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: New US Champion!

Postby Hanley! » Jul 08, '17, 1:11 pm

I actually don't mind them switching titles on house shows sometimes. It's good to make people think that the unexpected can happen at a local live event. And it becomes a news story that generates a little bit of buzz. But this seems like strange timing.

For starters, it was a Raw house show. If the title had changed hands on a Smackdown house show that would have been more understandable. And there were no title changes on the last Smackdown pay per view, which could have used the injection of a little bit of excitement. Why do this now and not then?

I'd wonder if Owens is injured, but apparently they had a good match at MSG. Maybe it was just a last minute decision to put a big moment on a MSG show. Which I'd be fine with, to be honest.

I should probably be happy that Styles is adding to his WWE resume, but to be honest I find it ridiculous that he's wrestling for a midcard title (Owens too) while Jinder Mahal and Randy Orton are competing for the WWE championship. It's a complete waste of talent, and a large part of why I've stopped watching Smackdown.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 08, '17, 1:28 pm

It could be a throwback to the old NWA days when every title change for this championship took place at a house show.

On the other hand, I feel like WWE likes to pass around this strap. They've been pretty solid with long reigns recently, but in the 00s (aside from a few reigns) most of them were in the double digits.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Jul 08, '17, 2:56 pm

VaderBomb wrote:On the other hand, I feel like WWE likes to pass around this strap. They've been pretty solid with long reigns recently, but in the 00s (aside from a few reigns) most of them were in the double digits.

I put up the Roundtable for the Raw pay per view earlier and I had to check who had the Intercontinental championship right now three times because I kept forgetting. We've been conditioned to not treat those titles too seriously at this point.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to WWE