It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 3:15 pm

10 years ago today

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

10 years ago today

Postby Circled Square » Jun 24, '17, 2:40 am

Benoit kills his family, then himself later that weekend. It changed the WWE in some ways, wellness policy and perhaps the phasing out of roided up guys. Well, until Mahal fucked up the cycle game.

Any thoughts on Benoit? Does it feel like 10 years ago?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 209

Re: 10 years ago today

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 25, '17, 8:08 pm

I remember ordering Vengeance 2007, which was the event that he was supposed to be facing Punk for the ECW Championship. As a huge fan of both Benoit and Punk, it was a dream match. I busted out a blank VHS and taped the PPV.

As most of us know, Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro (who would become John Morrison later that week, I believe). Most of the crowd was chanting "WE WANT BENOIT!!!" and in every version that I've seen after the live show the chants have been edited out. It's pretty sweet to have that original unaltered version on tape.

As far as the tragedy goes, I still have doubts about the incident. Hardly any investigation was carried out. I won't go out on a limb and say that he didn't do it, but as far as the whole "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy goes, I don't really see any proof. I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's pretty damn mysterious.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby PorkChop » Jun 26, '17, 1:46 pm

I remember exactly where I was when I heard this news. It's quite crazy that it's been 10 years.

I always wonder what effect Eddie Guerrero's death had on Benoit's mental state. Obviously his brain was an absolute mess from all the physical punishment he'd taken for his whole career, but it was quite well known that he took Eddie's death quite hard. I wonder if things would've been different if Eddie was around.

VaderBomb wrote:I won't go out on a limb and say that he didn't do it, but as far as the whole "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy goes, I don't really see any proof. I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's pretty damn mysterious.

I agree that the case is quite eerie, but what proof if there that Benoit didn't do it?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 26, '17, 3:32 pm

I doubt I'd have known it was 10 years ago if it wasn't for this thread..

It was surreal how it went from being a tragic, unknown death of a popular wrestler to murder even in the world of professional wrestling.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Jun 26, '17, 3:40 pm

Yeah, Benoit definitely did it. Outside of being a fan of his and not wanting it to be true, I don't see what reason anyone could have for thinking it wasn't him. Exactly why he did it will always be a mystery though. I've always presumed it was just the perfect storm - his deteriorating mental state, his history of anger issues, possibly some mind-altering substances he was taking at the time, and likely some personal issues at home just caused him to snap. But we'll never know for sure.

I can remember where I was when I heard the news first, though it was a fairly unique experience already so that's not too surprising. I was camping on a beach with a bunch of friends late at night, and drinking. My brother rang me to tell me the news. It was kinda creepy hearing about it in that sort of environment.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Jun 28, '17, 2:48 am

I can't believe it's been ten years since. I remember when the news first broke out that him and his family had been found dead in house. I wondered what the hell could have happened. It didn't even occur to me that he could have been responsible. Why would it? Everyone spoke of Benoit being a man who loves his family.

Didn't he kill his wife and son and whole day before killing himself? That's what gives me the chills about this. Imagine knowing you have just killed your wife and child. I mean, I don't want people to think I am showing sympathy for Benoit in any way. But the fact is, is was unstable and you know if in his right mind, he wouldn't dream of anything. Imagine having to think about it and come to the terms of what you have just done. I guess that's why he took his own life.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 28, '17, 11:30 am

PorkChop wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:I won't go out on a limb and say that he didn't do it, but as far as the whole "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy goes, I don't really see any proof. I'm not trying to be controversial, but it's pretty damn mysterious.

I agree that the case is quite eerie, but what proof if there that Benoit didn't do it?

No actual proof on either side, really. That's what makes it a mysterious and compelling event.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Circled Square » Jun 28, '17, 1:21 pm

Uhhh correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they find like Google searches about how to kill and how to bring someone back to life

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Jun 28, '17, 1:22 pm

Like on his computer

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Return to WWE