It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:52 am

Nakamura debuts on Smackdown

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Nakamura debuts on Smackdown

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 05, '17, 7:33 am

Pretty badass entrance to interrupt Miz and Maryse. I guess that'll be his first program, which is probably a good choice as Miz can talk his ass off.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: Nakamura debuts on Smackdown

Postby Circled Square » Apr 05, '17, 8:16 am

Miz vs. Nakamura is going to be some 100% pure wrestle kino

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 05, '17, 8:47 am

Great moment. I knew that he'd debut on SD after his second loss to Roode and Balor's comeback on Raw. I doubt that Balor or Nakamura will switch shows during the Shake-Up. It's going to be so refreshing to see a big Japanese star get a respectful push on the main roster. I would love to see him as WWE Champion sometime down the road.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Apr 05, '17, 11:45 am

It's great that Nakamura is on the main roster finally, and it's really cool to see him getting such a big reaction for his review. However, the one thing I didn't like was the commentary - or lack thereof. This is a bad habit they've taken up over the last few years. When something big is happening, they just shut up and say nothing. There is a time to let the moment sell itself, but they didn't need to stay silent through literally this entire segment. Act a little excited, tell us who this is, why he's a big deal.

Moments like this one were always better when Jim Ross was hollering at the top of his lungs.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Apr 05, '17, 12:42 pm

Didn't he come out, have no interaction with The Miz then just disappear again? That's dumb.

Buzzing to see him though. Smackdown is absolutely the right show for him.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Apr 05, '17, 12:57 pm

I've gotta say, contrary to the group that debut did nothing for me. It didn't sell me on him, it didn't get me excited and it didn't showcase him as any other Japanese star coming to the company that won't go far because he can't work a program and cut a promo. Honestly, it did him more harm than good. So what he found a good violin player. That segment put over the violinist far better than Nakamura, that guy I want to see again.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 05, '17, 1:48 pm

I've never quite got the love for Nakamura. He just sort of is to me. His wrestling is good. But not better then a lot of guys. He is sort of on the upper end of the middle of the road in my opinion. His gimmick is... well I am not even sure what his gimmick is? Is it that he is on Heroin? He just sort of reminds me of drugged out Jeff Hardy vs Sting every match.

As for last night. again it just sort of was. The violin player was cool. Then he walked to the ring staring at his hands and laid down near the ropes. No interaction with Miz, no speech, nothing. I get that his English is not great but to have him wander to the ring all opied up was kind of meh to me.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Hanley! » Apr 05, '17, 2:06 pm

I would have liked to see Nakamura do a little more too, but the segment absolutely did not do him more harm than good. He probably got the best reaction of anyone on Raw or Smackdown this week ... and maybe the best reaction of the entire weekend after the Hardys.

If nothing else, what the segment did was show the audience at home what a big deal this guy is to hardcore wrestling fans. That always gets the casual fans enthusiastic because even though they don't know the guy, they can see immediately that there must be something special about him.

That being said, I wish the commentators could have spoken up and acted excited too. And I wish they had told people why they should be excited about this guy. That he's a two time NXT champion, a former IWGP champion and has main evented the Tokyo Dome. Would have been vastly preferable to what they did.

Also, I disagree that he's just another Japanese wrestler. He's more talented in the ring than the majority of the roster, and is one of the most charismatic guys in the company. Quite possibly the most charismatic guy in the company.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 05, '17, 2:37 pm

Hanley! wrote:That being said, I wish the commentators could have spoken up and acted excited too. And I wish they had told people why they should be excited about this guy. That he's a two time NXT champion, a former IWGP champion and has main evented the Tokyo Dome. Would have been vastly preferable to what they did.

I feel like they'll probably mention all this next week or whenever he has his first match.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Apr 05, '17, 3:06 pm

Yeah, but why not do it straight away?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 05, '17, 3:55 pm

Hanley! wrote:It's great that Nakamura is on the main roster finally, and it's really cool to see him getting such a big reaction for his review. However, the one thing I didn't like was the commentary - or lack thereof. This is a bad habit they've taken up over the last few years. When something big is happening, they just shut up and say nothing. There is a time to let the moment sell itself, but they didn't need to stay silent through literally this entire segment. Act a little excited, tell us who this is, why he's a big deal.

Moments like this one were always better when Jim Ross was hollering at the top of his lungs.

This is my biggest gripe with commentary today. Not the constant buzzword usage or the clearly-coming-from-Vince phrases (they're booing who they normally cheer!!11). When they go dead during big or shocking moments it just is a total buzz kill. It makes it feel as though they are unprepared.

There have been some matches that have been utterly killed by this. For example, I remember during the Brock/Taker match a couple years ago when Brock was killing Taker, the announcers got so hushed and it just took away from what little energy the match had. It was so awkward to watch.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Apr 05, '17, 4:27 pm

ShaneOFan really hit on something. I knew something bugged me about Nakamura, but couldn't put my finger quite on it. Watching him, his "charisma" does really come off as a guy that is high as a kite in his mannerisms and facial expressions.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 05, '17, 5:01 pm

Hanley! wrote:Yeah, but why not do it straight away?

I agree with you, I would have had Miz try and attack him and have him knee Miz's face off.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Return to WWE