It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:56 am

Does anyone really want to see Lesnar vs Goldberg?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Are you excited for Lesnar vs Goldberg at Wrestlemania?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 7

Does anyone really want to see Lesnar vs Goldberg?

Postby Hanley! » Mar 06, '17, 5:43 pm

I've been thinking about this lately. Everyone has been saying that Lesnar vs Goldberg should be the main event of Wrestlemania 32 because it's the biggest possible match. It's got the most star power. These are the two most larger-than-life figures on the roster having their final epic show down. It makes all the sense in the world that it should be the main event.

But ... do people actually want to see it?

This is the sort of thing that's really difficult to quantify in today's WWE. It's hard to say how big of a draw this match will be. While it makes sense to make Lesnar vs Goldberg the main event, I'm not sure that it makes sense to book the match in the first place. Because other than the star power involved here, what reason do fans have to want to watch this?

We've seen it before. So it's not exciting from that perspective.

The last time this match happened at Wrestlemania it sucked, and at Survivor Series it was as good as it possibly could have been. So if things go well here then it'll still be a step down from what we've seen already. And if things go badly then we know just how bad it could be, because we've seen it happen already.

The story here is that Lesnar is out for revenge. That's why this match is happening. But why should we give a shit about Lesnar's revenge? He's beaten everyone. It's a nice change of pace that there's someone he can't beat. I don't want that to end.

Also, Lesnar is the heel. Are we supposed to be hoping for the heel to get his revenge against the face? That's backwards. In fact, it seems like this feud is destined to end on an anti-climax. Against all odds, the bad guy finally gets that big win.

Do people really want to see the bad guy winning to end Wrestlemania? They're using a guy who's actually popular in the face role for a change. Wouldn't having him lose to end the show be a bit of a downer?

So I'm genuinely curious about this: are people here excited for this match? Do you think wrestling fans in general are excited for this match? Or does everyone just think that they should be excited because these are two of the company's biggest stars and they've been building towards it for months?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Does anyone really want to see Lesnar vs Goldberg?

Postby The Legend » Mar 06, '17, 6:42 pm

This is a more complex question than it would seem on the surface. As a concept I was actually pretty excited about the premise of Goldberg vs Lesnar for a few reasons. One is it kept Lesnar from squashing a WWE regular who would have been damaged by just being another blip fed to the Brock Lesnar Pac Man game.

Two, as backward as it may be for Lesnar to be the underdog seeking revenge from a face-heel stand point, it's the one position and scenario we haven't seen Lesnar in and that makes it more compelling than anything else you could come up with for the Beast Incarnate. Plus, with their legendary/celebrity status both Lesnar and Goldberg kind of defy traditional face/heel labels anyways. Legends matches like this usually and at their best wind up with the crowd split and just cheering for their guy. It's the one scenario where I don't mind the audience cheering for the heel

Those are the two pluses for the match. They however get totally overshadowed by the fact that it's the main event, that it's for the world title and that it totally wrecked the momentum of the best act and the best budding feud that RAW had going for it with Owens/Jericho.

I guess in the end what I'm saying is that I had no problem with and could have even enjoyed Lesnar/Goldberg as a mid card feud (they'd still call it a main event anyways) that resulted in a 10 minute intense brawl where Lesnar got a non-title win, but as the main event of Mania in 2017, I'm sorry that's ridiculous.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 06, '17, 10:25 pm

I haven't seen everyone saying that Lesnar vs Goldberg should be the main event, and no one thinks the title should be involved. Anyway, to answer the poll: Yes, I am excited for it. The main reason I am is where we happen to disagree, which is the unpredictability level of the match. I'm actually not sure what to expect in terms of the winner and how exactly the match will go. Will Goldberg squash Goldberg again? Will Lesnar squash Goldberg? How will Lesnar fare when he is 100% focused? How will Goldberg fare when his opponent isn't distracted? Are they going to have a brawl, and if they do how much offense will each man get in?

So we haven't really seen this match before. All three Lesnar/Goldberg matches have happened under completely different circumstances. At Wrestlemania 20 neither guy gave a fuck because they were on their way out, plus Lesnar wasn't indestructible yet. At Survivor Series Lesnar got cocky and Goldberg made him pay for it in 2 minutes. We have yet to see what could happen when both guys are motivated and focused, so it's not fair to write them off by saying that nothing could possibly top their Survivor Series match.

Lastly, I'm not that sure Lesnar will win. Now that his match is main eventing, will they have the clear-cut babyface lose to close the show? The last two Wrestlemanias didn't end with a complete fan favorite closing, but in the case of Wrestlemania 31, the surprise Rollins cash-in went over very well with the crowd, and last year Triple H was obviously painted as the heel against Roman.

You say I'd be a nice change of pace if there exists a man who always has Lesnar's number. Perhaps Vince feels the same way and that's how this story ends. Given how protected and massively pushed Goldberg has been, I could legitimately see him retiring with the belt the next night on Raw. Or fuck, dropping it to Roman at the next PPV.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 07, '17, 8:43 am

As a non-regular fan of the product, and a fan of both men when I used to watch it regularly, I'm excited about it primarily for the reasons Kaiser has noted. It's difficult to ascertain how the match will pan out - personally, I feel it'll be a 10-15min match full of power, brute force and lots of false finishes/finishers as they won't want to drag it out too much and it's clear Goldberg can't handle a long match.

However, this match should - and should be in the most cases a legend or legends face off - be a supplementary position on the card, not to close out the show or be for a title. But it is and the WWE have to invest time to make sure they plan this out right. Lesnar winning to close would be odd but I'd imagine he might break with his normal no-BS custom and be sportsman like to Bill post-match.

So, yes I want to see it but not at the expense of a well planned, thought-out main event for the title match to close the show. But that's what's happening anyway (first part of it).

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to WWE