It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:00 am

Possible Wrestlemania opponent for AJ Styles

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Possible Wrestlemania opponent for AJ Styles

Postby Hanley! » Jan 17, '17, 4:33 pm

For the last couple of months there have been a bunch of Wrestlemania matches rumoured and teased, but everyone has been annoyingly quiet on what the WWE champion will be doing. It's hard to figure out who is left for Styles to face, particularly if Undertaker is facing a Raw guy or John Cena.

There is a rumour going around about who his opponent might be now though. It's not coming from the Observer people or anything, and things are likely still up in the air at this point anyway, so take this with a pinch of salt. But some are saying that their current plans are for Styles to face Shane McMahon.

Shane Fucking McMahon!

I hadn't thought about it previously, but now that I've read it somewhere I unfortunately find it very easy to believe. There was a time when they wanted to do Shane vs Brock, so it makes sense that they might still try to squeeze him onto the card. Based on rumours, Styles seemed to be getting prioritised beneath other performers when it came to pairing up guys for Wrestlemania, to the point where it was hard to figure out who he might be facing. And he's one of the few guys who they could trust to drag something out of Shane after his horrible match with Undertaker last year.

You can see exactly what the story is likely to be also. Styles loses the title to Cena, then loses the rematch in semi-controversial fashion. This leads him to have a problem with Smackdown management and he eventually starts targeting Shane. I could really imagine them doing that.

What do you guys think of it as a potential match? Do you think it's likely? And would it interest you at all? I don't think it's enough for Styles. He deserves a really high profile match, and he's their best in ring performer so it feels like putting him with Shane is minimizing their potential to have a genuinely great match at Wrestlemania.

That being said, more than anything else, I think Styles needs a high profile singles match on this show. So I'd much rather see him in there with Shane than have him wrestle in a IC title ladder match with a bunch of other guys. If Shane is the only opponent they'll give him, at least it's better than nothing.

But if McMahon won, my head might explode. :lol

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Possible Wrestlemania opponent for AJ Styles

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 17, '17, 10:16 pm

Smackdown tonight started with Shane in the ring and AJ came out and they got into it a bit before Cena and Miz came out. My first thought was this is the first tease of a Shane/AJ match too so get ready to flip out :lol

On one hand what a waste of a potential show stealing AJ match. On the other hand, it's probably a huge vote of confidence in AJ from Vince and management that they would put him into a match with a McMahon at Mania.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Re: Possible Wrestlemania opponent for AJ Styles

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 18, '17, 2:49 pm

Styles' year has been so magnificent that a match less than a main event match with a big name seems unfulfilling however a match with Shane will be heavily promoted at least.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to WWE