It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 5:03 am

Is Roman Reigns going to main event Mania for the third consecutive time?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Is Roman Reigns going to main event Mania for the third consecutive time?

Postby prophet » Jan 11, '17, 1:58 pm

I think he might.

With Jericho winning the US Title from him I fear we're going to see Jericho/Owens for the US Title and Reigns versus someone else for the Universal Title.

Seems like they just won't let him drop.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Is Roman Reigns going to main event Mania for the third consecutive time?

Postby Hanley! » Jan 11, '17, 2:21 pm

I've no idea what they're doing this year, but it just doesn't feel like Reigns is the guy to main event Wrestlemania 33. He didn't feel like the right choice for the last couple of years, but it was crystal clear coming up to both events that he was being prepped for that spot. It doesn't feel like that this year for some reason.

I do think he might win the title, but even if he does, it definitely doesn't feel like they consider him the main selling point of this year's Wrestlemania. I doubt his match will go on last. But I'd say that could likely be Lesnar vs Goldberg. Or Cena vs Undertaker for the WWE title, if that match ends up happening.

It's actually kind of interesting to consider what they might be doing with Reigns, because it doesn't seem obvious at all. Brawny the Strowman has been rumoured for a while, but I figure if they're doing that it surely makes more sense to have that as the US title match and Owens vs Jericho as the Universal title match. Right? It just seems too early to have Brawny win the Royal Rumble or challenge for a title.

It does feel a little bit like they don't know what they're doing this year though, which is the only thing giving me hope at this point that they might do something interesting.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby DBSoT » Jan 11, '17, 3:17 pm

He will win the title at the Royal Rumble for sure, but John Cena vs the Undertaker (possibly with AJ Styles) will likely take precedent. Reigns vs losing opponent (probably Strowman) will be the 2nd choice though. Lesnar vs Goldberg is a more anticipated match, but will be going on in the old Taker spot. If Taker is really retiring, than he is going on last, especially if Cena is looking to break Flair's record.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 11, '17, 3:37 pm

With the US title off him, it suggests he'll be involved for the Universal title battle. Strowman seems the candidate but fans seem to be liking him from the few reports I read here and there so it'll be another WM where everyone is cheering: but not for Reigns.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 11, '17, 4:19 pm

I don't think there's much of a chance to see Reigns main eventing. Cena vs Undertaker will go on last if it happens I believe, even if it's not for the title.

I do think there's a good chance Reigns is going to go into Mania as Universal Champion though, likely against Braun Stroman which will probably be a train wreck. Which should be entertaining at least.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Jan 11, '17, 4:44 pm

What exactly does this mean for Mania? Is Roman Reigns going to be in a match at Mania that the WWE will boast is main event caliber? Yes, so will a dozen other guys. Reigns won't get anywhere near the final match of the show though.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Jan 11, '17, 4:49 pm

These days, according to WWE's verbiage, if you're on the Wrestlemania card in a singles match then you're probably in one of their many "main events". If you want to go by those standards, Reigns will probably be in the main event for the rest of his career.

But I reckon if Reigns is in their third most advertised match this year, he'll be doing well. He's still not working as the top face, and his storylines just feel colder at this point.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Jan 11, '17, 7:16 pm

I seriously doubt it.

I really don't know what to expect this year. Based off what happened on Raw, I have my doubts Undertaker/Cena is the direction they are headed for. Strowman has been getting a massive push and was shown backstage watching Undertaker's segment; I can't imagine there isn't any substance to it, especially considering it was rumored they would have a match at last year's show.

Even though they are competing at the Royal Rumble... I still think Styles/Cena is the likely WrestleMania main event. It just makes way too much sense. I wouldn't bank on it but I would love to see Styles win at RR, Cena force himself into the Rumble with his "because I can, recognize" gimmick he's been pulling lately, and then they clash at WrestleMania.

I'm 90% sure the main event won't involve Reigns though. I think he'll probably win the title at the Rumble, but there is nobody for him to face. I mean, say Styles wins and they have Cena enter the Rumble and win. I guess you could do that, but then featuring that as the main event would just be illogical; why would Cena run from Styles? Either way, these are the only main event combinations I can see happening:

Cena vs Undertaker
Cena vs Styles
Cena vs Styles vs Undertaker

Anything else would quite frankly surprise me. Cena/Styles/Undertaker would probably be the best combination. I have very little interest in any Undertaker match, but he's definitely going to be in a match and so at least this way, he's involved with 2 other guys I really enjoy. Plus there are a lot of different angles that could be used for this match.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Hanley! » Jan 17, '17, 3:32 pm

Right now most reports are stating that Goldberg vs Lesnar is scheduled to be the main event.

I could see that happening, and could even understand them doing it. But I'm not going to lie, it'd piss me off.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '17, 3:35 pm

I hope not. Then again, I don't really know what's been going on. I kinda stopped watching Raw and SD. it just became a chore to watch them. I found myself forcing to watch it out of habit and realized that I wasn't really all that bothered about it. I still watch the PPVs though. Everyone now and then I will look up what's been going on but that's rare. I'm not even aware who is in any of the title scenes.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to WWE