It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:00 am

prophet watches Smackdown Live

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

prophet watches Smackdown Live

Postby prophet » Jan 04, '17, 12:33 pm

Here's my ratings for Smackdown, yo!

The Miz opened the show with a great heel promo. Ambrose got a nasty looking slap from Maryse and we're off. Love it. It wasn't too long, it wasn't boring, it wasn't convoluted. We had a simple, effective open to the show. :D

Ziggler vs Corbin was the first match and again it was very good. I actually watched the Styles/Corbin/Ziggler triple threat last week because I'd heard it was good (it was) and I enjoyed the Corbin/Ziggler partnership again. Corbin impresses me more and more every time I see him wrestle (he's come along way from his NXT debut) and he looked strong picking up the big win. :D

Ziggler turned heel afterwards which I hope will be a positive change for him. He's been a pretty run of the mill good guy for a while now so I think this is needed. I'm giving it a positive mark for now though I hope this doesn't mean he's going to be feuding with Kalisto because who would care? :D

The whole Becky Lynch/La Luchadora stuff wassss meh. I actually didn't mind the 'twin magic' thing they pulled and thought it would have been an effective move...if Luchadora picked up the win. Instead the second Luchadora wound up being Alexa Bliss who tapped out. I didn't get that decision, Becky outlasted two separate Women and out of those two the champion took the loss, not the imposter - why? This all made Bliss look a bit weak and a bit thick so it's my first down vote. :(

I'm fully on board with Styles vs Cena again now. Electric promo at the contract signing from AJ (loved the comparison to The Rock), Cena's rebuttals were effective if not a bit standard for him at this point. He's always passionate which is great but I'm a bit sour on him because I'm 99% sure he's winning the title at the Rumble and that annoys me. Corbin coming out was a random surprise, but a nice one. He looked tough threatening Cena and was elevated by being in the ring with two stars. Good stuff. :D

Carmella wrestled Aliyah and got the win courtesy of a James Ellsworth distraction. This was never going to be the best thing in the world BUUUUUTTTTT I actually like this. If Carmella is just stringing Ellsworth along because he'll help her out then she'll look crafty and intelligent which is brilliant. (The worst thing that could happen is if they actually go with a love story for this, surely they're not that daft) :D

American Alpha get the squash win but they're cut off post-match by The Wyatt Family...who are coming next week. I'll give this an up rating purely because AA looked strong against known opponents (albeit comedy jobbers) and I noticed a little jealousy from Harper after Orton did the "run" catchphrase. I think we all know Orton is trying to drive Harper away so he can get Wyatt alone but despite it's simplicity this is still good, complex storytelling on the show. Very good. :D

Natalya and Nikki Bella are two of the most naturally unlikable people on the roster. Boo. :(

AHHHHHH I'm torn on how to rate the main event. Dean Ambrose won the IC Title and I hate that however the match was really good and I'm intrigued to see if this is going to be another bow in the Miz's quiver when he says Bryan is against him. Maryse (who is an absolutely amazing manager) got Miz DQ'd but the official didn't make the call because Ambrose...asked him not to? That didn't make sense; since when do the officials just decide things like that? HOPEFULLY that was intentional and they play up to that next week - I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt because the rest of the show was good. Up rating. :D

:D = 7
:( = 2

So what I've learned from this is that Smackdown is by far a better show than RAW and I actually really enjoyed myself. I'll definitely be watching again next week. Good job blue brand, good job.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: prophet watches Smackdown Live

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 05, '17, 1:17 pm

Yeah I thought it was a really strong outing from Smackdown this week. The best thing is everything seems like it has some sort of purpose and pretty much everybody you see has something going on, big or small.

The Miz is on fire right now and should get a WWE title run sometime in 2017 for his efforts. Him and Ambrose had a pretty good match in the main event. Maryse getting tossed was well done and the crowd was popping big for the ending near falls.

Styles and Cena had a great contract signing. AJ cut a great promo, showing he has the full faith of the company on the mic now, and Cena's retort was great as well, with him getting into serious Cena mode which are always his best promos. Their Rumble match should be fantastic. I liked Corbin getting involved, gives him the rub of being in there with Cena and AJ.

I'm into the Carmella and Ellsworth thing too. The perfect use of Ellsworth now that he's out of the main event scene.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Jan 08, '17, 10:45 am

Everything I've seen indicates Smackdown is significantly better than RAW right now. When was the last time that was true, like 2005? It's been years since Smackdown was anything more than a RAW clips show.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Jan 08, '17, 10:55 am

Everlong wrote:Everything I've seen indicates Smackdown is significantly better than RAW right now. When was the last time that was true, like 2005? It's been years since Smackdown was anything more than a RAW clips show.

Smackdown often spent the end of the brand split as the better show. When they are one roster SD just doesn't serve much of a point.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to WWE