It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 5:01 pm

WWE gives away too many big matches on TV

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

WWE gives away too many big matches on TV

Postby Messiah » Nov 29, '16, 4:04 pm

I'm not sure if it is the biggest problem I have with the WWE currently, but it's close. They give away EVERY match combination on TV (aside from the part timers like Lesnar, Undertaker, Goldberg, etc). Lets completely ignore the fact Owens and Reigns had a ridiculous amount of matches together earlier this year. Last night on Raw, why in the world would you give away Owens and Reigns in the middle of Raw? There is no reason to have both that and Banks/Charlotte on the same night on a weekly broadcast. This is why pay-per-views have been so uninteresting for me lately. It's either we have gotten the match several times on television (Owens/Reigns, Owens/Rollins) or we will get it again a couple of weeks later on television (Miz/Ziggler). This has been a problem for years so it isn't just because of the brand split. Things like this never happened.

Could you imagine Batista and Triple H casually wrestling on Raw before their big showdown at WrestleMania 21?
Could you imagine Austin and Rock at the peak of their careers having a Raw match every other week?

I'm not against having a big main event on Raw. It's necessary to keep the show meaningful, but there are other ways to do that other than having everybody face each other. Matches are way too long nowadays anyway, but I'm biased because I prefer the storytelling over the wrestling (or that the storytelling makes the match). I don't know why the WWE hasn't cut down on it either. Logically if you want more Network subscribers, you make it where some of the biggest match-ups are only ever going to available on the Network (for example, having Reigns and Owens' first big clash be on PPV).

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: WWE gives away too many big matches on TV

Postby The Legend » Nov 29, '16, 6:41 pm

I think the biggest problem is they give away too many clean finishes and "PPV quality" matches. They should use more DQ and dirty finishes to give a taste of the matches, but still leave more intrigue for the PPV encounters.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 29, '16, 8:56 pm

Great minds think alike, 'cause I was just thinking this yesterday too. :P

The brand split has made this even worse too because there's even less "main event" worthy wrestlers on each show so the interactions between them has gone up. I think this is also why we see more of the "gimmick" PPV's like TLC and Hell in a Cell, because giving away these matches all the time on Raw or SD means the only way to make them "special" is to attach gimmicks to them.

I don't know why the don't try to mix things up a little more. Why couldn't you try a Kevin Owens vs Big E main event or something like that? It would be easy to set up via some sort of confrontation and would put someone new in the spot for a test drive.

This too many matches theory also extends to the tag and womens divisions where New Day has wrestled the Club approximately a millions times now and Charlotte and Sasha are embarking on a best of 75 series apparently.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 29, '16, 9:31 pm

I agree that it's a problem, though it doesn't affect me because I only watch the Youtube highlights of the shows and then watch the full PPVs.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to WWE