It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 12:04 am

Should the 40-man Royal Rumble return?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Should the 40-man Royal Rumble return?

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 29, '16, 1:46 am

Given that the Rumble is a 4 hour PPV now, and the roster is so stacked because of the brand split + potential NXT callups + traditional Rumble surprise returns, would you be in favor of the 40-man Royal Rumble making a return for the first time since 2011 (when it was won by the legendary Alberto Del Rio)? Or should it always be the traditional 30?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Should the 40-man Royal Rumble return?

Postby The Legend » Nov 29, '16, 6:00 am

I prefer just 30 men, the Rumble is long enough as it is. Fill the extra hour with other matches, segments, brawls on the show.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Nov 29, '16, 9:31 am

The 40 man rumble just last two long for my taste. By the end, I couldn't care less who won. It also didn't help that the final two were ADR and Santino.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Hanley! » Nov 29, '16, 2:32 pm

I don't really see the value in a 40-man Rumble match. I'd rather they just use wrestlers who'll get at least some kind of reaction. Padding out the length of the match with the dregs of the company's roster doesn't improve the show in any way. I'd much rather they just used 30 of their most popular wrestlers.

They might have four hours to fill, but they could do that by having a few of the company's biggest wrestlers pull double duty. The Royal Rumble isn't the most strenuous match - some of its participants can wrestle elsewhere on the show.

I'd also like to see a women's Royal Rumble to take up some time on the show. It would probably only go half as long as the main event, but I think it'd be a nice way to whet the crowd's appetite and would be a good way to showcase the improved women's roster.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Nov 29, '16, 6:11 pm

^^^ Not a fan of the idea of women's Rumble, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the Rumble. To make a women's rumble interesting you'd need a host of returning stars.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 29, '16, 8:59 pm

The Legend wrote:mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the Rumble

:o

I don't think we need a 40 man match, the roster doesn't have the depth of stardom to pull that off. 30 at least has less filler to be tossed out by Brock and Goldberg and Roman.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Nov 30, '16, 5:54 am

Str8Shooter wrote:
The Legend wrote:mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the Rumble

:o

It's an hour and a half of the exact same thing happening over and over and over again.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Circled Square » Nov 30, '16, 3:00 pm

No there's barely any star power you can't stretch it to 40 with this meme roster

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 30, '16, 11:24 pm

There's enough star power to do the traditional 30 without even surprise appearances or NXT callups, so I think they could easily pull it off. A few expendable jobbers won't hurt, especially if they give each of them a cool spot or two, and at the end of the day it's more cannon fodder for Lesnar and Goldberg to look strong. I just looked up how long the 2011 Rumble was and it's only 1 hour and 9 minutes. They must have shortened time between entrances that year. The Rumbles are so fun that they go by really fast anyways - before you know it the #20s are coming out. I for one would much rather watch an extra 15-20 minutes of Rumble than some midcard match they can run on one of the next 300 PPVs in the year.

The women's rumble is a great idea and this is the perfect time to do it. I'll be disappointed if they don't. Could get Mickie James to do another one-off appearance along with some other gals.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Dec 01, '16, 12:28 am

Oh god a woman's rumble come on man the royal rumble was like the last thing I had now I have to watch a half hour women's royal rumble and oh no oh sweet god no there's two brands they might do two rumbles reddit will pretend is historic oh god why

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Headlesspete » Dec 04, '16, 5:52 pm

40! There’s so many guys that can add to that match, and WWE have the talent to pull it off. Not to mention it’s the best match WWE offer every year, why wouldn’t you extend it if you have the manpower? I just took a list of WWE’S roster, and here’s atleast 42 names that deserve to be in that match!

Midcarders that need to be in:
Apollo Crews
Baron Corbin
Big Cass
Big E
Braun Strowman
Cesaro
Chad Gable
Enzo Amore
Dolph Ziggler
Heath Slater
James Ellsworth
Jason Jordan
Kalisto
Kofi Kingston
Luke Harper
Neville
The Miz
Rhyno
Rusev
Sami Zayn
Sheamus
Xavier Woods

"Name Value" who add star power
Big Show
Kane
Mark Henry

Main Eventers
Bray Wyatt
Brock Lesnar
Chris Jericho
Dean Ambrose
Goldburg
Randy Orton
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins

Returns
John Cena
Triple H
Finn Balor
The Undertaker

Don't forget the Cruiseaweights!
The Brian Kendrick
Cedric Alexander
Gran Metalik
Rich Swann
TJ Perkins

No AJ Styles or Kevin Owens, as obviously they are the current top champions at the moment. But you can see that the WWE clearly have the roster to afford a 40 man rumble! No jobbers like Epico, Primo or R-Truth! Hell, even the lesser known mid-card acts like Kalisto or Neville could be swapped for a few Attitude era surprises or a few NXT call ups.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 04, '16, 9:08 pm

^ Thank you Peter. I was gonna make a similar list to show that the star power isn't as low as people are saying it is.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Dec 04, '16, 10:56 pm

Yeah, but what about the rest of the card?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 04, '16, 11:26 pm

The Legend wrote:Yeah, but what about the rest of the card?

Double duty, women's rumble, and two main eventers taken out of the Rumble to be in the title matches which won't hurt the star power much.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Dec 04, '16, 11:30 pm

I think I'd be happy if AJ won. Just keep in mind, I was never a TNA guy, never even cared.. I haven't watched for over a year now, either.. 'cept PPV's on Sky (pirating from the USA). That being said, I finally know who and what AJ is. He makes Daniel Bryan look like a pleb, no offense. AJ is fucking crazy cool. I -do- hate his Soccer mom haircut, but I can get over that because he's just.. apex. I mean, he looks like he's floating half the time, he pulls off moves so fast it looks silly and REAL at the same time, I just.. I have never been a fan of the "technical" side of wrestling my entire 32 years of life, I was always 100% promo and happy if they could half ass something, but after seeing AJ.. holy shit balls. I now understand the technical side of things. Jeebus he's a flippy shit genius. I take it all back.

AJ is pretty much my favorite guy since Hulk Hogan back in like 88. I want him to get all the wins. All the accolades. All the trophies, awards, and ribbons. AJ is fucking style. No pun intended.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby EmperorWu » Dec 05, '16, 3:05 am

@Locke It helps that he doesn't go into overkill. He does enough but not too much. I usually hate the indy flippy shit. However styles is awesome, dude can actually work a match, and not just go from spot to spot with the turbo button on.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby Hanley! » Dec 05, '16, 4:46 pm

The star power isn't great though. Even if it's not as bad as some people might make out, it definitely ain't good compared with other periods in WWE's history. And the more people you add to the match, the more you dilute that star power, no matter what.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 05, '16, 9:38 pm

Hanley! wrote:The star power isn't great though. Even if it's not as bad as some people might make out, it definitely ain't good compared with other periods in WWE's history. And the more people you add to the match, the more you dilute that star power, no matter what.

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with a non-over midcarder entering every now and then to break up the more impactful entrances. I don't think people are realizing how fast the Rumble actually goes by. The crowd isn't going to die if it takes 90 seconds longer for a big star to enter. And speaking of which, the fact that the two strongest wrestles ever (Goldberg and Lesnar) are both in the match automatically adds a ton of star power, in my opinion.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 05, '16, 10:46 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:
Hanley! wrote:The star power isn't great though. Even if it's not as bad as some people might make out, it definitely ain't good compared with other periods in WWE's history. And the more people you add to the match, the more you dilute that star power, no matter what.

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with a non-over midcarder entering every now and then to break up the more impactful entrances. I don't think people are realizing how fast the Rumble actually goes by. The crowd isn't going to die if it takes 90 seconds longer for a big star to enter. And speaking of which, the fact that the two strongest wrestles ever (Goldberg and Lesnar) are both in the match automatically adds a ton of star power, in my opinion.

I don't see either Brock or Goldberg being in the Rumble for very long though. I think one enters, throws a bunch of people out. The other comes in, there's a standoff, they brawl and quickly eliminate each other somehow, then the match goes back to normal. Now that's fine, but it only affects the match for a few minutes.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 05, '16, 10:54 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I don't see either Brock or Goldberg being in the Rumble for very long though. I think one enters, throws a bunch of people out. The other comes in, there's a standoff, they brawl and quickly eliminate each other somehow, then the match goes back to normal. Now that's fine, but it only affects the match for a few minutes.

During the last Rumble there were several times when someone really popular got thrown out and it looked like the match was going to get derailed, but then someone else really over immediately entered and kept the ball rolling. Creative can handle it.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Next

Return to WWE