It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 9:45 am

Is Styles vs Cena the Smackdown title match for Wrestlemania?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Re: Is Styles vs Cena the Smackdown title match for Wrestlemania?

Postby Hanley! » Oct 01, '16, 5:14 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:You're underestimating Taker's ability to sell emotion and realism as the deadman character. Look at the final moments of his Wrestlemania matches with Triple H and Shawn Michaels, or the post-match after Brock broke the Streak. He's not some statue with no facial expressions.

He's not much better. The Deadman character has rarely expressed much vulnerability or emotion. Those Wrestlemania matches you mentioned were sold primarily on spectacle and not on emotion. And what little emotion there was tended to come from his sparring partner.

If they announced it was Undertaker's last match, then it could invoke emotion from the fans for sure. But he could have that moment against anyone, and I don't see the need to waste a potentially great Wrestlemania title match or main event just so he can have his moment.

KaiserGlider wrote:Also, Cena is slowing down. He doesn't have the same spring in his step that he used to. A lot of times it feels like he's just going through the motions in his matches. Ambrose pinned him clean on Smackdown. It's almost like Cena's not at the same level as the other top guys anymore and the booking reflects it. Now that's a story I am interested in. So again, why squander that by going back to square one with Cena.

I like what they're doing with Cena too. But that's not a story, that's the beginning of a story. It has to go somewhere. And the most likely and logical end game is for Cena to gain redemption and to show that he can still go by getting the big win.

And I've been rough on Cena in the past for instantly getting his win back. But he's already done a lot for Styles. This isn't the same situation as Owens for example, where Owens beat him but we were told there would be a rematch 30 minutes later, foreshadowing Cena getting his win back. And he did get that win back just two weeks later. Styles beat Cena due to interference, then beat him clean leading to Cena disappearing for a month. That win catapulted him into the main event. He then won the championship, and it's likely to be a 7 month reign. If Cena gets his win back after all that, I'm not going to complain.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Previous

Return to WWE