It is currently: Jun 15, '24, 4:45 pm

Daniel Bryan To Retire If Not Cleared By Third Doctor

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Daniel Bryan To Retire If Not Cleared By Third Doctor

Postby Circled Square » Oct 05, '15, 2:20 pm

Of course Bryan was asked about his health and when we could expect to see him back in a WWE ring. Bryan says he had a concussion back in April and WWE is hyper-sensitive about concussions right now. He got medically cleared by a neurologist who specializes in concussions, but WWE's Dr. Joseph Maroon wasn't convinced he should be wrestling.

“One neurologist who specializes in concussions — who was the neurologist for the Super Bowl last year — cleared me with no limitations. All my testing came back excellent,” he said. “But the WWE’s medical doctor [Joe Maroon] is sceptical, because of my history of concussions and that sort of thing. So they will not clear me.”

“They’re going to send me to a third doctor at some point in the near future and that doctor will decide my fate.”

As badly as he wants to get back in the ring, Bryan said this third doctor's appointment will probably be the deciding factor in whether or not he has to retire. If the third doctor advises against him wrestling again, he will retire.

"The WWE doctor Joe Maroon [is] amazing and highly respected in the concussion field, and if they send me to a third neurologist who's also highly respected in the concussion field and they say literally no...well, then is it really smart to go against two doctors? I get all fired up...and then I'm like, maybe that's not the best thing for me and my family going forward."

In the event that his days as an active competitor are over, Bryan says he's open to working with WWE as an announcer or trainer.

http://rajah.com/node/49225

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 209

Re: Daniel Bryan To Retire If Not Cleared By Third Doctor

Postby Hanley! » Oct 05, '15, 2:27 pm

It's interesting. Until now, Bryan was saying that he was 100% fine and medically cleared to compete. Now apparently that's in doubt. So either he's changing his story now to take heat off the WWE, or perhaps its more likely that he was trying to put pressure on them to bring him back with his comments before and is now taking a more reasonable approach after realising that maybe retirement could be the best thing for him.

It might be worth mentioning that on Wrestling Observer, Meltzer said that if Bryan was physically able to compete but WWE didn't want him wrestling, he'd likely leave to try and work in Japan when his contract expires.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby JPG619 » Oct 05, '15, 2:29 pm

I think if he does it will be the right choice to make. You don't want to risk it plus look at Edge I bet he wanted to get back in the ring but the risk is so high.

Don't want to lose a wrestler with health issues just to get worst in the ring. Life is to short to be playing with your life so I hope for the best with him.

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 29

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 05, '15, 2:43 pm

Hanley! wrote:It might be worth mentioning that on Wrestling Observer, Meltzer said that if Bryan was physically able to compete but WWE didn't want him wrestling, he'd likely leave to try and work in Japan when his contract expires.

Because when you have a history of concussions, the biggest company in the World won't allow you to compete, and them being accused in the past of being negligent towards allowing injured people to compete, going to work in the notoriously hard on the body Japanese style makes perfect sense. I'm sure the stiff shots to the head, and violent headbutts won't hurt him at all! :facepalm

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Oct 05, '15, 2:46 pm

Oh I'm not saying it makes sense, but Bryan does seem like one of those guys who just wants to compete no matter what, and who always throws everything into his performances.

It was speculation, even on Meltzer's part, so obviously take it with a grain of salt. But it's something that wouldn't surprise me. If Bryan's not actually told "your career is over" by doctors, then he's going to find a way to wrestle. Even if it's a bad idea.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 05, '15, 4:50 pm

Hanley! wrote:Oh I'm not saying it makes sense, but Bryan does seem like one of those guys who just wants to compete no matter what, and who always throws everything into his performances.

It was speculation, even on Meltzer's part, so obviously take it with a grain of salt. But it's something that wouldn't surprise me. If Bryan's not actually told "your career is over" by doctors, then he's going to find a way to wrestle. Even if it's a bad idea.

Yeah I get it's just speculation. I'd just hate for him to have the itch to wrestle so bad that he would put an added risk to his long term health. He seems like a pretty level headed guy, so I hope cooler heads prevail should it come to that.

Plus if he does have to retire I'm confident WWE will hire him in some non wrestling capacity.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Return to WWE