It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 5:17 am

No Man's Sky

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

No Man's Sky

Postby Everlong » Jul 30, '16, 2:32 pm

Who's planning on playing this? On the one hand, it seems like an awesome concept. On the other hand, it feels like there's almost no way it's going to be able to live up to the hype.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: No Man's Sky

Postby Hanley! » Jul 30, '16, 3:03 pm

I haven't spent that much time researching the game, but I'm still a little curious as to exactly how the game is going to work. The idea of this almost infinite universe to explore is appealing, but I do have a couple of concerns. The first is whether the gameplay mechanics will be fun or interesting enough to make that universe worthwhile. The second is that the world could end up feeling very empty and not interactive as a direct result of its size.

I've been interested in this one since I first heard about it, but it seems like it could very easily become one of the gaming industry's largest ever casualties of the hype machine.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jul 31, '16, 8:21 am

Hanley! wrote: first is whether the gameplay mechanics will be fun or interesting enough to make that universe worthwhile. The second is that the world could end up feeling very empty and not interactive as a direct result of its size.

I've been interested in this one since I first heard about it, but it seems like it could very easily become one of the gaming industry's largest ever casualties of the hype machine.

Yeah I feel the same. It seems like it has a shit ton of potential to be either incredible or boring, which I'm not sure I've ever seen in a game before. The fact that the developers have played their cards so close to the chest is intriguing, but also concerning.

I'm really hoping it's great, but I'm going to wait at least a few days after release until I've heard reactions before I decide to buy it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 31, '16, 9:40 am

I'm not remotely excited for the game really, I've seen a couple of videos of a dude flying around a planet where nothing is going on. Maybe a dinosaur walking by or something, that's it. You'll probably collect some shit and try not to die in the process. I know that's reductive but my point is I've not really seen anything that blows me away, if there's anything more substantial floating about I've not seen it.

The scale they're talking about definitely sounds impressive but at some point you have to stop and think about that, if there's that much content in it, and this is a company with 15 employees according to Wikipedia, I don't see any way that turns out to be meaningful or worthwhile content, it'll be procedurally generated. So I feel that the universe exploration gimmick will wear off once you spend a bit of proper time there and you can see the seams.

I'm not one to wish failure on a game but I do think that hype the scale this game has experienced will never be a good thing. I think it could conceivably be a pretty damn fine game but even that will be disappointing when they've built this manic fan base that thinks No Man's Sky is going to change the world or some shit, that's not a healthy expectation. You shouldn't throw your hopes in entirely for potential. Sure, this game has the framework to be something real interesting, it has 'potential' to be pretty cool.

The last time I lost my mind over a game with 'potential' was Metal Gear Solid V. You might have seen me mention it once or twice :P . That game turned out to be really, really good. Yet to a large portion of fans it was severely disappointing. I've already spoke about why that was but in retrospect the most frustrating thing to me is that The Phantom Pain legitimately had the 'potential' to be the greatest game ever made, and as good as it is, it's not that.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Everlong » Aug 11, '16, 2:02 pm

Has anyone actually played this yet?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby War Daddy » Aug 11, '16, 5:09 pm

It's not getting good reviews :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Hanley! » Aug 11, '16, 7:15 pm

I think the best review I've heard of this was that it has one trillion planets, two types of building, and you can fit three things in your wallet.

Sounds like it delivers on all of the problems and none of the potential.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Aug 11, '16, 9:58 pm

Yeah based on what I've been hearing on Reddit and such, I'll likely be staying away from this one. "Mile wide and an inch deep" is the phrase that keeps comin gup.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Kreashko » Feb 04, '17, 7:39 pm

So...I got this game for Christmas this past year and yeah, it's basically what everyone says about it. It's not the worst game I've ever played but def. not worth all the hype.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Gaming and Technology