It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:06 am

Resident Evil 7

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Resident Evil 7

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 14, '16, 5:31 pm

Obviously trying to muscle in on the hype that Konami threw away when they canceled Silent Hills, the new Resident Evil for Xbone, PS4 and PC seems somewhat of a departure from the style of game they've been putting out in recent installments.

There's a demo up for PS4 that's very similar in style to the infamous PT that was released a couple of years ago, featuring a small environment explored in first person with an air of mystery and very unsettling imagery. I've played the demo, it's pretty interesting though I'm sure I missed a lot as even after playing and taking a look online it seems there are some mysteries yet to be solved by the community at large.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Re: Resident Evil 7

Postby EmperorWu » Jun 15, '16, 4:44 am

Last gen called, they want their early years graphics back. :P

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Hanley! » Jun 15, '16, 9:23 am

Snobs called and they want their terrible priorities back. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jun 15, '16, 1:26 pm

Believe it or not I've never actually played a Resident Evil game before.

Do they have story arcs over multiple games or is each game its own story?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Jun 15, '16, 5:28 pm

Each game kinda has its own story, although as the series progresses there are call backs to older games and the story gets pretty convoluted and distracting. There is an on rails shooter game called Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii that does a good job of making sense of the story for the first several games, but it's nothing you really need to know.

I'd recommend giving the Resident Evil remake a try: they just released it again last year on PC and I'm pretty sure on XBOX live also. It's the story from the first game, but enhanced, and the graphics and atmosphere are much better. I'd consider it the best Resident Evil game by far, and the best survival horror game I've played.

I'd also recommend Resident Evil 4. It's less scary, less puzzle based and less claustrophobic, skewing away from survival horror and a little closer to a standard shooter or adventure game. But it's still a lot of fun, has a really great world to explore, and the story is basically self contained, so it's easy to follow or keep track of.

Ask anyone their favourite Resident Evil game and they'll probably give you one of the above, depending on what style of gameplay they prefer.

I'm curious about this new RE game and I'm glad they seem to be embracing their horror roots again, but you really can't tell much of anything from the trailer. It's hard to guess what the play style will be like or what the environments will be like. It's not even clear if it's moving away from zombies or not. It does seem like it might be first person, which Resident Evil has mostly avoided in the past, so that might be an interesting departure.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 15, '16, 6:36 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'm curious about this new RE game and I'm glad they seem to be embracing their horror roots again, but you really can't tell much of anything from the trailer. It's hard to guess what the play style will be like or what the environments will be like. It's not even clear if it's moving away from zombies or not. It does seem like it might be first person, which Resident Evil has mostly avoided in the past, so that might be an interesting departure.

Here's a chap I watch playing the full teaser demo, it's been said that this demo isn't actually part of the game so it may be that the game proper has a different style but in terms of atmosphere and whatnot it's probably a good indication of what to expect.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Postby War Daddy » Jun 15, '16, 9:17 pm

Everlong wrote:Believe it or not I've never actually played a Resident Evil game before.

Do they have story arcs over multiple games or is each game its own story?

Im a Silent Hills guy, but Resident Evil holds a wonderful place in my heart. Absolutely play 1-4, then play the gamecube versions, and get the remastered version as well.

5 was fun if you had a buddy to coop with but the story gets crazy from then on. RE7 is looking good(that we know).

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Kreashko » Jun 18, '16, 5:33 pm

I'm def. looking into this when it drops. #RE7Baby

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby Kreashko » Feb 04, '17, 7:51 pm

Anybody pick this up? I'm looking to get it in the near future. :D

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 45

Postby GameDesigner14 » Mar 05, '17, 2:49 pm

I picked it up digitally and it was fairly short, it has some good scenes. Seeing it was my first RE game I enjoyed it.

GameDesigner14 Female
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 28

Return to Gaming and Technology