It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:37 am

Virtual reality gaming?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Virtual reality gaming?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 14, '16, 1:15 pm

Now as E3 is underway and I've read Sony's plan to release some virtual reality gaming via its headset which will see the release of Project Neo, a console for 4K gaming.

But if one gets the headset, how does the actual gaming work? Is it similiar to the Wii where you're physically involved? Not that I'm intending to buy but just caught my interest reading the article.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Virtual reality gaming?

Postby DBSoT » Jun 14, '16, 1:24 pm

Depends on the VR system your choosing to buy. Some are just a headset that you play with a controller, others include a group of sensors that you set up so you can move around a room. I do like the idea of being able to move around, but I am also very nervous I would run into things. :lol

Here is an article on them: http://www.wareable.com/headgear/the-be ... r-headsets

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby Twister » Jun 14, '16, 4:22 pm

I'm not sold on the idea of having to get up and move around to manoeuvre in game. Seems like you'd need a lot of space and I'd be constantly worried about tripping over one of my kids toys or knocking the TV off the stand or something.

The stationary headset could work though I think I'll wait for the technology to develop more before investing in any sort of VR gaming.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 14, '16, 4:48 pm

Twister wrote:I'm not sold on the idea of having to get up and move around to manoeuvre in game. Seems like you'd need a lot of space and I'd be constantly worried about tripping over one of my kids toys or knocking the TV off the stand or something.

The stationary headset could work though I think I'll wait for the technology to develop more before investing in any sort of VR gaming.

From what I've seen, the calibration involved in room-scale VR (with the Vive in particular) would make it pretty unlikely you'd ever go anywhere you don't want to while playing. The games adapt the playing space to fit the boundaries you define beforehand. It's pretty intuitive tech.

Stuff like the Rift and Playstation VR won't really be about the moving about the room stuff. Their functionality is more focused on the seated experience.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Kreashko » Feb 04, '17, 7:53 pm

Anybody play VR yet? It's been out for awhile and I really want to try it out.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Gaming and Technology