It is currently: May 13, '24, 5:39 am

Favorite Grand Theft Auto game?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Favorite Grand Theft Auto game?

Postby Circled Square » Feb 15, '15, 9:19 pm

I loved Vice City man that was the shit. 80's music and Ray Liotta.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 209

Re: Favorite Grand Theft Auto game?

Postby Everlong » Feb 15, '15, 9:24 pm

I love all of them since GTA 3 for a variety of reasons.

Vice City definitely had the most fun atmosphere, and yeah, Ray Liotta was a boss. Plus all the Scarface references, one of my favorite games on the PS2/Xbox generation for sure.

GTA 3 is the most nostalgic for me because I spent a ton of time staying up all night and playing that with my buddies, knowing very well my parents would have hated the idea of me playing it if they knew :lol I haven't touched that one in a really long time and don't remember a whole lot of story details any more, but have a lot of memories of just cruising around causing mayhem.

I think GTA 4 had the best single-player story, though the darker tone was kind of a departure from the series and I know some people didn't really care for that. But in terms of the story structure and the writing, that one was the best. It loses points because of all the annoying shit you had to do to keep your friends happy with you (LETS GO BOWLING COUSIN!).

GTA 5 was a blast and had some over-the-top ridiculousness that brought me back to Vice City. Plus, the online coop stuff has been a blast. I think it tried to do a little too much in terms of the scope of the game, and the story wasn't always the tightest, but it's still a lot of fun.

So I guess if I had to just pick only one it'd be Vice City, but I've enjoyed them all quite a bit. Haven't played 1 or 2 at all, so I can't fairly comment on those.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Feb 15, '15, 9:28 pm

Oh hell yeah, GTA 3 has some nostalgia for me as well. I always thought it was weird how 8 Ball says his hands are messed up, but can open a car door just fine. :lol

GTA 4 is the best story to date, but not the best Rockstar Games story to date - that goes to RDR in my opinion. Niko struggled with coping with his past and the lives of those around him were ruined by his decision making. Never liked SA because of it's goofy storyline. You had to break into Area 51 and shit I was like WTF?

Shout out to LCS/VCS, both great games. Especially VCS.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Feb 15, '15, 9:29 pm

Circled Sqaure wrote:Never liked SA because of it's goofy storyline

Forgot about San Andreas. Yeah, the storyline was kinda lame, and it also just had way too much open space for my liking. It didn't feel as "alive" as the Liberty City or Vice City settings.

Also yeah, RDR is definitely Rockstar's best venture yet. I keep waiting for them to announce another game in the series, it's been five years now and ya gotta think it'd sell really well should they make it.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Feb 15, '15, 9:31 pm

Everlong wrote:
Circled Sqaure wrote:Never liked SA because of it's goofy storyline

Forgot about San Andreas. Yeah, the storyline was kinda lame, and it also just had way too much open space for my liking. It didn't feel as "alive" as the Liberty City or Vice City settings.

Also yeah, RDR is definitely Rockstar's best venture yet. I keep waiting for them to announce another game in the series, it's been five years now and ya gotta think it'd sell really well should they make it.

Rumors going around that they might remaster RDR. I would certainly buy that.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 15, '15, 10:09 pm

In order
-Vice City. The theme was great and it was a funny game.
-GTA 5. Went back to the fun of Vice City. Almost #1.
-GTA 3. For the nostalgia as Tim said.
-San Andreas. Was good fun but the map was to empty for a big map.
-GTA 4. Hated it.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Circled Square » Feb 15, '15, 10:10 pm

If you hated GTA 4, give it a whirl now. It's aged gracefully and I appreciated the story more the second time.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Feb 15, '15, 10:32 pm

I like them all but Vice City and 3 have a special place in my heart.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 15, '15, 10:40 pm

Tough to say. I'll always have a soft spot for Vice City just because I was in 10th grade I think and I remember getting it when it first came out and spending a shit ton of time playing it. I also remember my mom slipping on ice and badly spraining her ankle the same night I got it and spending hours in the ER waiting for X Rays rather than playing it. :P

Vice City had an awesome storyline and probably the best soundtrack of any GTA game with the 80's Miami backdrop.

I liked GTA IV more than most it seems. It was a damn good game for that generation of consoles and the gameplay to me was far and away the best of any GTA game up to then.

I really enjoyed GTA V and enjoyed the switching characters dynamic they added. I thought it worked well. It was pretty much what everyone expected from the newest GTA game. That being said, I don't know if it's because I'm older now but the chaotic, random violence and crass stuff didn't seem as much fun as it used to. Maybe the nextt GTA needs to freshen things up a bit.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby JDD » Feb 15, '15, 10:49 pm

Vice City. Thanks to my okder cousins I played that game when I was WAY too young :lol

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Circled Square » Feb 15, '15, 11:04 pm

GTA 5 is still fun. I wasn't big on Trevor's part of the story, or Franklin having like barely any missions. Not sure if it's just me but I preferred GTA IV having one character as opposed to three. The way they added the two other guys (via DLC) was better and made me more connected to their characters.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby flock u » Feb 16, '15, 12:06 am

I gotta go with the XBOX version of San Andreas I absolutely love having 3 cities to travel through and explore and all the scenerey and the mountains and desert. Love the awesome cheats for that game like the Jetpack. And the reason I say XBOX version is Custom Sountracks I love being able to play it while listening to my fav bands like Anvil,Metallica,Bon Jovi, and Foreigner.

flock u Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 3

Postby Circled Square » Feb 16, '15, 12:16 am

flock u wrote:I gotta go with the XBOX version of San Andreas I absolutely love having 3 cities to travel through and explore and all the scenerey and the mountains and desert. Love the awesome cheats for that game like the Jetpack. And the reason I say XBOX version is Custom Sountracks I love being able to play it while listening to my fav bands like Anvil,Metallica,Bon Jovi, and Foreigner.

PC version trumps all else.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Feb 16, '15, 12:24 am

I am surprised to hear the high praise for GTA IV in this thread. It has been a long time since I have played the game story-wise (2010 maybe? I played a lot of online multiplayer this past summer with my friends), but I remember not liking it as much. It was hard to get emotionally invested in the story because Niko Bellic was such a bland character. Customization wasn't anything special and in my opinion, a dropoff from San Andreas. Not a huge fan of the map. Plus I'll be honest - it came across as too realistic for me. I'm in no way saying it should be as ridiculous and nonsensical as Saints Row, but I came to love the crazy things you could do in GTA and I feel GTA IV lacked that. Not a bad game by any means, but very disappointing in my opinion. Maybe my opinion would be different had I got the DLC for the game, which by all accounts was fantastic.

GTA III and GTA Vice City are greats. Vice City had so many memorable characters, a rock solid story, and excellent gameplay for its time. However, the two top dogs for me are GTA San Andreas and GTA V. San Andreas didn't have a great story, but the gameplay was ace. There was so much you could do. The customization was top notch. Huge map, which I liked. It still has the best soundtrack/radio of any Grand Theft Auto game, although Vice City gives it a run for its money. I had so much fun playing that game. The only criticism I have for it is some of the missions were too damn hard. I'm talking the kind of hard that makes you never want to play the game again. These missions were the plane missions and "Supply Lines," the mission you get from Zero. Fuck that mission.

GTA V was brilliant. Only thing I really hated about it was how uninteresting Franklin was compared to Michael and Trevor. Hell, I would have rather played with Lamar than Franklin.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Circled Square » Feb 16, '15, 12:26 am

Niko has the deepest backstory in the series so I don't think bland is the right word. Great post though.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Feb 16, '15, 12:30 am

I guess you could say boring then.

I'm probably going to cash in on Gamestop's Xbox 360 Console Bundle w/ 6 Free Games deal in a couple of weeks which includes GTA IV, so I will probably give it another play through in the future to see how I like it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Circled Square » Feb 16, '15, 12:33 am

You'll love it if you pay attention IMO. I don't see why you wouldn't. He isn't boring or bland, he's just different, not very vocal as opposed to the trio in V. The game plays more like a crime drama.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 16, '15, 5:35 am

Considering my reviews are limited only to PS2 GTA Games, I'll go for SA.

I just liked the whole ghetto neighbourhood theme, the soundtrack was mint (Dre's Deep Cover or anything N.W.A) and just lots of things to do.

GTA 3 next because it was the first one and Vice City, I didn't enjoy as much from what I remember. I think the 80s theme at that time was not investing enough for me, maybe because I didn't appreciate that era but if I played it now, next-gen, I probably would take time to enjoy the little nuances.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Daz » Feb 16, '15, 5:52 am

GTA III for me in terms of characters and story. It was the first GTA game I really played, I had the top down ones on PC but never really got into them, and then I borrowed GTA III from a friend of my brother's and it just floored me. I have such nostalgic feeling for this game, it's the one I've actually probably played the least. Wouldn't want to go back and not enjoy it as much, and ruin those feelings.

Vice City is the one I played the most. Knew that map like the back of my hand. Also has my favourite music of any of the games too. This would be my favourite, if it weren't for some missions I seemed to always get stuck on. It was the Guardians Angels one where you have to protect some bloke with Lance Vance and then chase some guys on a bike. I could never bloody do this for some reason.

GTA IV I hated. Visually, it had that weird blur to everything that just looks horrendous, especially going back to it after GTA V. I found a lot of the missions to be repetitive and clunky, I don't know, there was just a real lack of variety. I think that's why I enjoyed GTA V so much when it came out, because the varying characters allowed for a wider range of missions.

San Andreas I enjoyed at the time and played through again not long ago. It's still a lot of fun, and you can do so much in it, but the story is pretty weak.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 16, '15, 6:00 am

Apparently GTA, GTA2 aren't even real games considering you guys are starting at 3.

GTA2 is probably the best GTA game to date.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology