It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 4:10 am

Favorite Grand Theft Auto game?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Re: Favorite Grand Theft Auto game?

Postby EmperorWu » Feb 16, '15, 6:13 am

SortaCreative wrote:Apparently GTA, GTA2 aren't even real games considering you guys are starting at 3.

GTA2 is probably the best GTA game to date.

:jimross :bs

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby SortaCreative » Feb 16, '15, 6:23 am

:lol

It's not BS!

GTA2 had one simple mechanic that made the world feel alive and actually gave you consequences for your actions in the main campaign. That was the existence of three different rival gangs. The problem with GTA games from 3 on wards is that there's a massive disconnect between what's going on with the story and what happens in the open world.

That's why 4 was so jarring. You had Niko reluctantly getting in deep with the criminal underworld but also you could have him go on a rampage. It doesn't really matter who you kill or don't kill in the story of GTA, it never impacts the open world all that much. There's no instances of you setting up the police chief for example and then the police getting more and more aggressive towards you. There's no retribution from the many gangs.

in GTA2 if you pissed off the rival gangs too much they would hunt you down. To stay safe you had to be savvy enough to balance their needs while forwarding the story. Some of the earlier Saints Row games had a similar mechanic of rival gang warfare and those were great. Better than GTA4.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 16, '15, 6:40 am

IV was to realistic. It didn't have the quirky fun aspect to it. It was to real. I didn't want to beat a hooker to death with a dildo then kill a bunch of cops. I just kind of wanted to get Nikko a mediocre job as a janitor in one of the big buildings. Also fuck Roman.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Twister » Feb 16, '15, 5:05 pm

Daz wrote:GTA IV I hated. Visually, it had that weird blur to everything that just looks horrendous, especially going back to it after GTA V. I found a lot of the missions to be repetitive and clunky, I don't know, there was just a real lack of variety. I think that's why I enjoyed GTA V so much when it came out, because the varying characters allowed for a wider range of missions.

I had the same problem re: the blurriness of the whole game, I tried playing GTA IV after playing through V and I just couldn't stick with it. Quite frankly it's horrible to look at. I also hated the driving mechanics, so clunky.

Vice City is probably my favourite GTA game, I spent a lot of time on that game. Loved the music too and spent hours just driving around listening to the radio. It's been a good few years since playing it though, so I can't really remember much of the main storyline from it. I just remember having an absolute blast with it.

GTA V is awesome too, I really enjoyed having 3 characters, really got into the story and it was always fun seeing what each character was up to when switching between them. The first time I came across Trevor passed out on a mountain wearing a tutu cracked me up :lol

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 16, '15, 5:48 pm

I was thinking of how you could create a "GTA VI" so to speak and have it be a bit different from the rest of the series and evolve a bit beyond the absurd rampages and criminal activity.

The best I could come up with is a story where you play as both a cop and a criminal. So the story would revolve around a cop/detective who would be trying to take down the criminal, who would be the other playable character. So you'd jump from stories and missions as the cop trying to track down the criminal and shut him and his operation down. Then you'd jump to the bad guy and have him do missions trying to expand his business and stay one step ahead of the cop. Then the two stories would converge on a big climactic mission.

You could use a similar switching characters mechanic as GTAV, but the dichotomy between the two characters and them each having different missions and side missions could make for a more interesting game.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Feb 16, '15, 5:56 pm

I just can't see how they won't go with Vice City. I mean, it's GTA: VI(ce) right? I hope they go back in time again. I'm getting sick of the modern era. I think the time period in IV was more interesting compared to the iPhone era portrayed in V.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 209

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 17, '15, 7:05 am

Circled Square wrote:I just can't see how they won't go with Vice City. I mean, it's GTA: VI(ce) right? I hope they go back in time again. I'm getting sick of the modern era. I think the time period in IV was more interesting compared to the iPhone era portrayed in V.

But the 80's was a gimmick and worked well in the Malibu area. Vice City(the place) would not be as fun set now. And the 80's has been done. The 90's feel could work in the right city.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Circled Square » Mar 04, '15, 12:41 pm

ShaneOfan wrote:
Circled Square wrote:I just can't see how they won't go with Vice City. I mean, it's GTA: VI(ce) right? I hope they go back in time again. I'm getting sick of the modern era. I think the time period in IV was more interesting compared to the iPhone era portrayed in V.

But the 80's was a gimmick and worked well in the Malibu area. Vice City(the place) would not be as fun set now. And the 80's has been done. The 90's feel could work in the right city.

Random bump lol, but GTA: SA was in the 90's I believe.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 209

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 12:19 pm

Everlong wrote:I love all of them since GTA 3 for a variety of reasons.

Vice City definitely had the most fun atmosphere, and yeah, Ray Liotta was a boss. Plus all the Scarface references, one of my favorite games on the PS2/Xbox generation for sure.

GTA 3 is the most nostalgic for me because I spent a ton of time staying up all night and playing that with my buddies, knowing very well my parents would have hated the idea of me playing it if they knew :lol I haven't touched that one in a really long time and don't remember a whole lot of story details any more, but have a lot of memories of just cruising around causing mayhem.

I think GTA 4 had the best single-player story, though the darker tone was kind of a departure from the series and I know some people didn't really care for that. But in terms of the story structure and the writing, that one was the best. It loses points because of all the annoying shit you had to do to keep your friends happy with you (LETS GO BOWLING COUSIN!).

GTA 5 was a blast and had some over-the-top ridiculousness that brought me back to Vice City. Plus, the online coop stuff has been a blast. I think it tried to do a little too much in terms of the scope of the game, and the story wasn't always the tightest, but it's still a lot of fun.

So I guess if I had to just pick only one it'd be Vice City, but I've enjoyed them all quite a bit. Haven't played 1 or 2 at all, so I can't fairly comment on those.

Once again, this. :lol

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 45

Previous

Return to Gaming and Technology