It is currently: May 13, '24, 9:05 am

I'm gonna say it...

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

I'm gonna say it...

Postby SortaCreative » Oct 19, '13, 12:13 pm

GTA V isn't that good.

Come at me brah.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: I'm gonna say it...

Postby Settee » Oct 19, '13, 12:17 pm

In what way? You are entitled to your opinions but if you are gonna say it isn't good at least back it up with why you think that.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 49

Postby SortaCreative » Oct 19, '13, 12:21 pm

I admit it's a good game but my problems are with:

Frame rate and general performance.
The story is okay at best. It played it very safe and didn't take many risks in the narrative. Franklyn is a terrible character.
There feels like there's little to do once you're done with the story. I've not put it in since I finished it.

Online is not really all that. Not until they add in all the features it's missing (heists).

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Oct 19, '13, 1:58 pm

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I think the story for GTA IV was leaps and bounds better than the story for GTA V. The GTA V story doesn't really seem to have much of a sense of direction to it, and I'm almost done with it. Throughout GTA IV, Nikko had a very clear sense of direction and had to make difficult, occasionally morally compromising decisions. The theme of "what is the real American dream" was done really well. I think the decision to have three POV characters made it difficult to get that sense of cohesion in the GTA V story.

That being said, I still think it's a lot of fun, and the online is TONS better than GTA IV online was, but it does seem like there are a lot of improvements that they could make with it. Overall, I definitely wouldn't give this game "instant classic" qualification like everybody else seems to be doing. I think once the hype has died down a lot, people will realize that this is a good, maybe very good game, but not a great one.

But again, I definitely don't regret buying it, and I'm having a lot of fun fucking around on free roam with my buddies. Just the other night we stole a cargo helicopter and stated dropping cars on other players :lol

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Oct 19, '13, 2:23 pm

This is happening with a lot of AAA releases lately though. Everyone calls it the best game of all time and then a few months later when they get some perspective they come back and say yes, it did have its faults. Whenever the hype starts for one of these games now, I always take it with a pinch of salt. Gamers can be very bandwagony as a sub-culture and video game critics tend to be far too lenient with new games they're reviewing.

It was the same with The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. It doesn't mean that the games aren't good or worth owning, by any means. Provided you can get enjoyment out of a game it's well worth the purchase. But people are far too liberal with their claims of "best game EVAR" these days.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kyle » Oct 19, '13, 10:32 pm

GTA V is so much better than GTA IV it's not even funny, and I say that as a big GTA IV fan. The missions were incredibly fun in my opinion and though I think the heists could have been done a bit better, I had a blast with them. Trevor and Michael are great characters, Franklin less so. And I finished the story after 30 hours and I usually don't take time out of the main story to roam around and explore but I loved doing that in this game and since finishing the story I've played at least 15 more hours just roaming around.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Twister » Oct 21, '13, 5:11 am

I love the game, but I am easily pleased.

Though i'm not going to pretend that it doesn't have it's faults. The main one for me is not so much the content of the story, but more that it was too short. I got it a couple of days after it's release and I've played through the story three times, and that's only with playing it for a few hours most evenings. I've almost completed all the side missions and It's really left me feeling unsatisfied and like I want more.

I loved the three character system, and I hope they do something similar with the next GTA game.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 21, '13, 8:03 am

I'm on 360 and I don't think I've had a single instance of frame rate or glitchiness, strange. It's performed remarkably well.

I thought it was a great game, I can understand the criticism about the story being a little lacklustre, seeing as it's basically three random characters just trying to make money, that's pretty much the only storyline. I would have liked to have seen more heists as well, they're the best part of the game and it would have been cool to see a few more included.

I haven't played it much since I've beat the story either, but I'm generally not much of a random roamer when it comes to games. Some people are though and I'm sure they have lots to do in this game just stirring up random shit.

I also think there always seems to be a segment of "gamers" that come along after the initial critical praise who love to be the contrarian and say how it isn't that good after all. It is good, probably great, still one of the best games of the year, and that's good enough.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Oct 21, '13, 9:42 am

^^I don't think anybody's saying it's a bad game, just that people tend to get caught up in the hype too much for these sorts of things. I am having a ton of fun with the game, but it's definitely not the best game ever or anything like that.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 21, '13, 10:15 am

reyflyinfury619 wrote:^^I don't think anybody's saying it's a bad game, just that people tend to get caught up in the hype too much for these sorts of things. I am having a ton of fun with the game, but it's definitely not the best game ever or anything like that.

Yeah, and I think the opposite happens too. People get too pissed off at the hype and thus go too far in the opposite direction and don't give the game it's due and make it sound worse than it is.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Oct 21, '13, 11:33 am

I dunno, I feel like all the criticisms of the game in this thread have been pretty legitimate.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 21, '13, 1:33 pm

reyflyinfury619 wrote:I dunno, I feel like all the criticisms of the game in this thread have been pretty legitimate.

They probably are, I guess I just like to focus more on the positive than the negative in things :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Enygma » Oct 21, '13, 2:24 pm

Taj wrote:GTA V isn't that good.

Come at me brah.

How far into it are you?

Credit to Romo for the sig.

Arrive. Dare To Zlatan. Leave.
Enygma Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 27

Postby Everlong » Oct 21, '13, 4:08 pm

^He said he beat it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Viazon » Oct 21, '13, 7:50 pm

It's not as good as Vice City. But I have never thought that any GTA games were the best games ever. They are just a lot of fun to play and I am having a blast playing this.

I love freaking my relatives out with it though. Saw some of my family today and they asked me what I had been up to. I told them that I stole a car, killed some policemen, went to a strip club and slept with a hooker. The looks on their faces.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SortaCreative » Oct 22, '13, 5:34 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I'm on 360 and I don't think I've had a single instance of frame rate or glitchiness, strange. It's performed remarkably well..

Well... since you think i'm just being critical for the sake of it. I don't think that's at all true, there's been widespread reports of bad frame rate on 360 and PS3. It's not like your 360 is much different from all the others out there. If you want to just render me as being down on GTA for the sake of it then fine, but don't lie. :P

I don't hate the game, not at all. I really liked it. But I have no inclination to ever go back and play it because the story just isn't that good and there's nothing much to do outside of the storyline. Maybe the odd rampage, sure. I'll still stick with none of the characters being particularly great. The side characters are utterly abysmal.

And i've finished the game.

What i'm getting at is I don't understand how this could be viewed as better than things such as The Last of Us. It's not even close. GTAV is an entire console generation behind The Last of Us. In terms of gameplay, narrative, graphics, performance, sound design, front cover... you name it.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 22, '13, 7:53 am

Taj wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:I'm on 360 and I don't think I've had a single instance of frame rate or glitchiness, strange. It's performed remarkably well..

Well... since you think i'm just being critical for the sake of it. I don't think that's at all true, there's been widespread reports of bad frame rate on 360 and PS3. It's not like your 360 is much different from all the others out there. If you want to just render me as being down on GTA for the sake of it then fine, but don't lie. :P

Haha I'm being dead serious that my copy on the 360 I can't remember any instances of serious lag or frame rate hiccups. Maybe I just didn't push it too much by doing anything too crazy on the system, I dunno. Of course now that I've said that my 360 will probably die tomorrow, in which case I'll blame you :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to Gaming and Technology