It is currently: May 17, '24, 2:45 pm

What are your top 5 favourite games?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

What are your top 5 favourite games?

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 19, '14, 5:22 pm

I had a little think about this the other day and pieced together a list, figured I'd share it. To keep things interesting let's keep it to one game per series.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
I'm sure this will hardly be a shock to those of you who've seen me post in this section before but I love this game to death. It was one of the first games I ever played on the N64 and it was incredible, the music and visual style of the game are superb and it oozes charm. The levels were a joy to explore and the sheer simplicity of the game is wonderful. There's no question this game tops my list.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
This game comes pretty damn close, however. I got this game in April 2005 as an Easter gift having played and really enjoyed the previous two games. I fell in love. The cast of characters is fantastic and the story is beautiful, I still weep like a baby when I watch the ending.

3. The Walking Dead
I picked this game up for cheap once the whole season had been released and it really took me by surprise. There's not much to this game mechanically but the journey it takes you on is incredible. The game leads you down this unsettling and scary and emotional road and forces you to make crushing decisions to protect those around you, Clementine most of all. There's nothing I wouldn't have done to keep that girl safe.

4. Fallout: New Vegas
I was actually gifted this game by a complete stranger for organising a TF2 competition a few years back. I played the game on launch and it was buggy as hell. I couldn't have cared less. I had a blast with this game, I love the world of Fallout and exploring the Mojave while listening to that in game radio was sweet. It was cool traveling all over the wasteland and interacting with all the different factions vying for power over New Vegas, the game is extremely well written and the world feels alive.

5. Gears of War 2
My 360 broke a day before this game came out. While it was away being fixed I bought a new Xbox to play this game. I pulled an all nighter to beat the story. That's how excited I was for this game. It has some fantastic moments, plays really smoothly and addressed pretty much all the complaints I had for the original game. The music is amazing, it looks really good and it introduced Horde mode which is a blast to play with friends.

So yeah, those are my top 5 games of all time. They're not necessarily the best games of all time but they're certainly my favourites, post yours!

Spoiler:
If anyone's interested, my top 6-10 is as follows:

Dark Souls
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Super Mario 64
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Last edited by SlightlyJames on Nov 30, '14, 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Re: What are your top 5 favourite games?

Postby Chewy » Mar 19, '14, 8:12 pm

GTA 5
Fallout 3
Skyrim
MLB the show
Red Dead Redemption.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby Settee » Mar 19, '14, 8:25 pm

Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Ocarina of Time

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 19, '14, 8:26 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:To keep things interesting let's keep it to one game per series.

:nigel

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Postby Settee » Mar 19, '14, 8:38 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:To keep things interesting let's keep it to one game per series.

:nigel

That rule was too fascist. But if you insist...

Final Fantasy 4
Kingdom Hearts 1
Ocarina of Time
Chrono Trigger
Ogre Battle 64

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 19, '14, 8:44 pm

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Skyrim
Pokemon Ruby
Age of Mythology
Lord of the Rings: the Battle for Middle Earth

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Kein » Mar 19, '14, 10:08 pm

Perfect Dark
Built off of the game that set the standard, hard to beat the memories of this game. No online play kept the game very social and competitive.

Dark Souls
Throw back to the old days, skill is important and timing is key. I love a good tough game that feels rewarding to beat. This game is the epitome of throwing you in the fire head first.

Guild Wars
Probably the game I have played the most of. It is an MMO so that assists is longevity but I really completed this one just about 100% and some of that wasn't even fun, maybe tedious but accomplishing to do.

Suikoden II
The feels, this game brings out so much, and has many different battle types and even more characters to love and hate. I love a game that isn't black and white, the shades of grey are what make stories beautiful.

Super Street Fighter 4
Had to go with this one, classic Street Fighter series is awesome and I was hesitant to put this one up because I know a hand full of fighter games I love but this series is what started it all and I couldn't really ignore its history with me.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Ace » Mar 20, '14, 3:04 am

In no particular order:

-Resident Evil 4
I've beat the game a million times. Easily the best game of the entire series. Great graphics & an awesome story.

-Half-Life
Very long game but definitely worth the play. One of the best yet only games I've played on a PC. Nostalgia from my childhood. Started when I watched my dad play it.

-Shaq Fu :lol
What can I say. I must be one of the only ones that likes this game. Again a game that was a part of my childhood & I can't let it go.

-Sonic Adventure
Huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan & I had this game for Dreamcast back when. It will always have a place in my heart.

-Serious Sam
One of the other PC games from my childhood. This game is nuts. So many enemies/monsters on each level. Awesome weapons selection

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
-Battletoads Double Dragon
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Killer Instinct
-Mortal Kombat Trilogy
-Viewtiful Joe
-The House of the Dead
-Devil May Cry

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 20, '14, 6:53 am

1-Mass Effect trilogy hands down.Best series of all time and had a great story.
2-Fall Out 3. Almost nothing can compare to the first time you step from the vault into the wasteland.
3-Fall Out New Vegas. Loved this as well but FO3 has the slightly better story.
4-Pokemon X. LOVE this game. Only complaint is I wish your slot 1 Pokemon followed you.
5-Ocarina of Time. That was my childhood.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Everlong » Mar 22, '14, 9:45 am

This is difficult. Let's see...

1. Super Smash Bros. 64 - Nintendo 64
I think I've had more fun with this game over the years than the next four on my list combined. So, so many hours put into huge Smash Bros marathons with some of my best friends growing up.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Xbox
The story for this game is outstanding, way better than anything they produced in the newer trilogy and at least as good as the original trilogy. Don't want to spoil anything in case there are still people interested in playing it. The turn-based combat system has made the game slightly dated now but it's still an adventure that everyone should experience.

3. Civilization 2 - PC
I'm a big fan of the entire civilization series, but I think #2 has to be the one that I sunk the most time into. The soundtrack was awesome, the game was incredibly addicting and it had so much replay value.

4. Mass Effect 2 - Xbox 360
It was really tough to pick between this and Mass Effect 3 to make the list. ME3 gets a lot of hate for its ending but the total journey of it was incredible and the multiplayer, which I was iffy about when I found out about it, wound up being an absolute blast. But Mass Effect 2... the opening 10-15 minutes of that game are perhaps the best video game opening I've ever seen, and the story is simple but fantastic. More than anything, that game is about people, and this game does the best job of any video game ever at making you care about the characters that surround you. An unbelievable supporting cast of characters... Miranda, Jack, Tali, Garrus, Mordin, Legion etc.

5. Skyrim - Xbox 360
Man have I put a shitload of hours into this game. It seems like there's ALWAYS something to do, and I've started over several times with completely different character types. The main quest is a blast, but it's the side quests and add-ons that truly make this game special, as well as a world that really feels "alive."

Honorable mentions:
Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
Spyro: Ripto's Rage (Playstation)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Playstation)
Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Mar 22, '14, 12:07 pm

This is impossible. Shit.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Putting the Sonic 3 cartridge into the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge leads to the longest and most epic Sonic the Hedgehog experience out there. This combination seemed groundbreaking at the time, and it still holds up today as an amazing gaming experience. Addictive gameplay with beautiful level design and a score that kicks fucking arse. I've always been addicted to the early Sonic games so at least one of them had to be placed on this list.

2. Resident Evil (REmake)

The Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil game is the best in the series (better than Resident Evil 4 even). The graphics are some of the best of that era, the atmosphere throughout the game is really creepy and menacing. It takes its source material, takes out the stuff that didn't work (like the cheesy voice acting) and added a bunch more stuff that just enhances the horror. Lisa is the most terrifying gaming character I've come across. The addition of crimson heads and the ability to burn bodies made the game feel even more tense - nowhere felt safe anymore. I've played this game about a dozen times and I'm still not fully at ease with it.

3. Super Smash Bros Brawl

I had to put one multiplayer game on here at the very least, and I've put more hours into this one than any other. Melee was a brilliant game too, though it hasn't aged all that gracefully. But some of the additional characters, the better game physics and the level designer make Brawl that much better than its predecessor. This is the most fun you can have with friends. Just a mental, energetic gaming experience that can be played without weapons for a true test of skill or with weapons on high for an all-out chaotic experience.

4. Red Dead Redemption

This is one of the truest examples of video games as art. It's also the best sandbox game ever made. The world truly feels alive, as a variety of things can happen to you as you're simply riding around the countryside. After 80 plus hours of game time, new things were still happening to me outside the main story. That's a sign of a well crafted world. The landscapes are beautiful in Red Dead, the hunting missions are addictive, the story and characters are endlessly compelling. There is so much to do in this game that you just can't get bored and the world is so rich with atmosphere that it immerses the player utterly.

5. Dishonored

This is just fucking fun. The variety of powers and the different approaches to gameplay engage me as a player, and give the game a replay-factor that is sorely lacking in the current era. The world is vibrant and interesting with a really fun aesthetic. Utilising stealth and finding different routes and ways to take out your targets is really satisfying and really shows how assassination games should be done. The DLC for this game expands on its positive traits further, with new satisfying powers, interesting new levels that differ from the ones in the main game, and an enhanced difficulty level. I really hope a sequel is made for this.

Honourable mentions:

- Sonic 1 & 2
- Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkatron
- Zombies Ate My Neighbours
- Spyro the Dragon
- Crash Bandicoot
- Tomb Raider 1 (PS1)
- Medievil

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 12:00 pm

1. The Walking Dead (series by Telltale Games)

2. The Last Of Us

3. Uncharted (series)

4. Alan Wake

5. Super Mario Kart

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby Kreashko » Feb 04, '17, 7:47 pm

Kreashko wrote:1. The Walking Dead (series by Telltale Games)

2. The Last Of Us

3. Uncharted (series)

4. Alan Wake

5. Super Mario Kart

I really have to think about changing this list. It doesn't seem right at all. :lol

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Gaming and Technology