It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:29 pm

New Mass Effect?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

New Mass Effect?

Postby prophet » Mar 28, '17, 3:58 pm

Can one of you lovely blokes please buy it and play it then review it and tell me whether I should buy it?

I'M LOOKING AT YOU JAMES/TIM/STEVE/INSERT NAME HERE

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: New Mass Effect?

Postby Everlong » Mar 28, '17, 4:04 pm

Everything I've heard about it sounds awful, so I'm avoiding it at all costs so as not to get depressed. It was made by Bioware's B team, and sounds like it's buggy as fuck with a bad story, bad graphics and bad voice acting.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Kreashko » Mar 28, '17, 6:47 pm

I got it the other day and it's honestly not too bad. I'd wait for it to drop in price if you're not 100% on it but I'm enjoying it so far. :tim

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 28, '17, 9:51 pm

I'm fairly early in the game, what I've felt seems to be consistent with what the people I've spoken to are experiencing.

The facial animations definitely do take you out of the game a bit, and there is some baffling writing, like the infamous "my face hurts" line. That stuff would bother me more if I felt like it was distracting me from anything particularly worthwhile but I honestly feel like the biggest crime this story commits is being boring. At least at the time of this writing I've yet to find any hook to get me invested in what's going on, compared to the original Mass Effect which drew me in immediately.

From a gameplay point of view I'm torn. The actual combat I feel is better than all of the previous games. Things like the jetpack add some really nice mobility to fights and let you turn situations on their head at times where normally it would just be waiting for an enemy to pop out. The weapons have a nice feel to them, more bang bang than pew pew. Nice sound design there. I like the feel of the biotic powers, in particular the shield where you hold the button down and deflect bullets where you're aiming. The pull/throw combo makes me feel like I'm playing The Force Unleashed and that's pretty sweet too.

That said, as fond as I am of the gameplay I feel the game itself suffers from the "exploration" emphasis. In theory exploration is great but the way that actually materialised as far as I can see is they just took the combat areas and spaced them out so you had to do a tedious driving section to get between them. It's a design mindset that I feel needs to go away, emphasis on map size is atrocious because more often than not it means being bare of content.

It feels pretty disappointing that in a Mass Effect game the story and characters are the part I have no time for but that's the situation at the moment. I'm enjoying the combat and I look forward to getting into more of that but pretty much everything in between needs a lot of work. This game isn't as bad as people have claimed, but it is by no means a good game by Mass Effect standards.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 28, '17, 10:24 pm

Everlong wrote:Everything I've heard about it sounds awful, so I'm avoiding it at all costs so as not to get depressed. It was made by Bioware's B team, and sounds like it's buggy as fuck with a bad story, bad graphics and bad voice acting.

Mostly accurate. The visuals are pretty good though, anything that doesn't move looks pretty damn good :lol

The distinction of it being the B team isn't that important by the way, the vast majority of the talent that worked on their better games don't work for Bioware anymore so even their A team can't be treated as a known commodity, aside from Dragon Age Inquisition which shares a lot of the problems plaguing Andromeda.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Return to Gaming and Technology