It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:37 am

Steam?

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Steam?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 25, '17, 9:39 am

So, I came across Football Manager 2017 being available free for the weekend and to drag my sorry, out-of-date ass out from 2014 playing the PS Vita FM Classic 14, I decided to give it a go.

I had my first experience of using Steam, having read threads on buying from Steam but not paying that much attention to it. I'm intrigued by its workings, so am I right in saying that Steam allows me to download games of my choice (whether that be for PC/console) and I can play wherever I want depending me having the Steam download?

If so, it interests me sufficiently to buy FM17 for the half price that's being offered - kinda like the idea of being able to pick up my games, slyly at work or out and about, on the go etc.

Am I on the right lines or have I got it wrong? Most likely, there's more depth to it.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Steam?

Postby SlightlyJames » Mar 25, '17, 11:26 am

Steam is the most popular game distribution platform on the PC. It's a sort of all in one type service comprised of a store front, a download manager, a chat platform, online infrastructure for games that use it, etc.

AkydefGoldberg wrote: am I right in saying that Steam allows me to download games of my choice (whether that be for PC/console) and I can play wherever I want depending me having the Steam download?

You can only get games that have been released on the PC. (And Steam, for that matter). Most games that have a PC version can usually be found on Steam, but companies like Blizzard and EA prefer to keep their PC games on their own proprietary game platforms (Battle.net and Origin, respectively). By and large though the majority of PC games can be found on Steam.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Everlong » Mar 25, '17, 12:16 pm

You'll also find there are a shit ton of deals on Steam on a regular basis, especially during their Black Friday and Summer Sales. If you get most of your games on Steam you'll save a buttload of money.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 25, '17, 5:09 pm

Thanks chaps - definitely think it's going to be an avenue to catch up on playing games etc..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Return to Gaming and Technology