It is currently: May 05, '24, 3:56 am

Nintendo Switch Revealed (NX)

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Nintendo Switch Revealed (NX)

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 20, '16, 9:15 am

Seems like a pretty cool gimmick. The system is essentially a tablet with removable controller attachments and a dock for charging and transmitting the image to a TV, a natural evolution of the Wii U gamepad. I'm a bit disheartened it doesn't seem to have backwards compatibility with the WIi U, I never actually bought that system and I figured I may have been able to get away with just buying the Switch. I suppose since it uses cartridges it would have been difficult from a purely hardware perspective to allow back compat.

Regardless, assuming the battery life holds up, this seems like an absolute monster. I'm down for that, the breakaway controllers seem to allow for portable multiplayer gameplay which could be a really big thing if they get some games that really take advantage of it. We'll see. They low key showed off a new Mario, along with Switch versions of Splatoon and Mario Kart that seem at least partially different to the Wii U installments.

If I'm right in thinking there won't be Wii U backwards compatibility, I may need to hold off on buying this system and see how the game catalogue pans out. The Wii U exclusive lineup got there in the end, and I don't care about the third party side of things as any multiplatform title will be better on my PC, but in the meantime I may just pick up a Wii U and play what I've been looking to play on that system.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Re: Nintendo Switch Revealed (NX)

Postby Daz » Oct 20, '16, 10:55 am

I hate the name, but the gimmick is really cool. If it works half as well as presented, it'll be pretty interesting.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Oct 20, '16, 11:00 am

This looks like it has the potential to be really awesome, and the first Nintendo system I've owned since the N64. That reveal video was sweet.

I love that they're really putting an emphasis on local multiplayer and game experiences with friends. That's what Nintendo has always been great at, and Playstation and Xbox are moving away from that entirely, which is a huge bummer to me.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Ali » Oct 20, '16, 11:14 am

Disappointed they didn't use this song.

I don't know how often I'll personally use the portable function, but I love the fact that I can detach the side controllers of the tablet form. That alone makes it a lot easier for me to use than the Wii U Tablet. Consider me hyped.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Hanley! » Oct 20, '16, 12:12 pm

This looks great. The WiiU made things a little too gimmicky, but here the gimmick is pretty simple. And it plays into what Nintendo is already good at. They're the kings of handheld gaming and they make fun original console games. Bringing out a console that can serve as both, where it's quick and easy to switch between the two, is the perfect gimmick for Nintendo. It's about fun and convenience, and is also poised to be the most social console - one that you can play with friends and around friends.

I think I'm going to want one of these. Hopefully they bring out remastered WiiU games for the system, because there are some WiiU games I still want to play. The newest Smash Bros being chief among them.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Ali » Oct 20, '16, 1:16 pm

These are the Third Party developers working with the Switch. That list makes me very happy. Seeing games like Skyrim and NBA 2K on the Switch is really cool, because it tells me that Nintendo is letting developers actually make GAMES. The thing about the Wii and the WiiU was that, Nintendo was more concentrating on Motion Controls and Touchscreens, which I think turned off a lot of third party developers, because they weren't sure how to incorporate those into a game. I think here, you're seeing just straight-on gameplay, very little reliance on gimmicks, I think that will help bring Nintendo back to the top. Nintendo always had great in-house titles, but now if it has good Third Party support once again, I think it can be a threat to Sony and Microsoft.

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap

Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Ali » Oct 20, '16, 1:54 pm

:D

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap

Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Kreashko » Feb 04, '17, 7:38 pm

Anybody plan on getting this when it comes out in under a months time?

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Gaming and Technology