It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 7:57 am

Recommend me some PS4 games

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Recommend me some PS4 games

Postby Hanley! » Oct 16, '16, 2:36 pm

My 30th birthday is coming up soon, but I had my party a little early. My family bought me a PS4, which I wasn't expecting. It came with two games: Ratchet & Clank and No Man's Sky. I don't know how interested I am in the latter game, to be honest. But I might give it a try.

Dishonored 2 comes out in a month, and that'll take up a lot of my time. I'm fucking stoked to play that. But meanwhile, if anyone could give me some recommendations for other games, I would appreciate it. I am very critical of modern games, and tend to severely dislike any generic FPS or RPG titles, so maybe steer clear of those genres unless you're really high on the game in question.

The Last of Us is the game that's most on my radar so far. Definitely thinking of picking that one up. The Witcher 3 has been recommended to me also, so I might pick that up too. Any other ideas?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Recommend me some PS4 games

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 16, '16, 3:06 pm

100% the best game on the PS4 is Bloodborne. I can not recommend that game to you enough and I dearly hope you play it. Wonderful atmosphere and a world that's creepy and challenging and a joy to explore. Gameplay is air tight and I feel it's From Software's best game. Particularly with the Old Hunters DLC, Bloodborne has some phenomenal content in it including probably my favourite boss in any game ever.

The Witcher 3 is also fantastic, you've seen my thoughts on that already and it's only gotten better with two fantastic expansions in Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine. One of the best RPGs ever made with an enormous wealth of content and an excellent world to spend time in.

I'm not sure if you've had the chance to play it on other platforms but I'll throw Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain in there. The gameplay is crisp as you like and there's a nice depth to it that adds a lot of replayability, it looks great, it's choc full of 80s music and there's generally a lot of opportunity to mess around in the game and have a good time. The story is one of the weakest in the Metal Gear series but from a purely gameplay perspective I believe it's the best in the series.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Oct 16, '16, 3:26 pm

I should maybe specify also that I'm a big fan of old school platformers and survival horror, so if there's anything out there in those genres, I'd definitely be interested.

I've always been a little put off by the Dark Souls series of games, largely due to a hardcore fan base that seems dedicated to excluding casuals and worshipping difficulty for the sake of difficulty. I've never had a chance to actually play any though. I'll look into Bloodborne a little, to see if it's something I might be interested in.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Romo 2.0 » Oct 16, '16, 4:24 pm

Until Dawn! It's a survival horror, the story changes based on the decisions you make.

Romo 2.0 None specified
Mark
Mark

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Topics: 1

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 16, '16, 7:51 pm

Hanley! wrote:I should maybe specify also that I'm a big fan of old school platformers and survival horror, so if there's anything out there in those genres, I'd definitely be interested.

I've always been a little put off by the Dark Souls series of games, largely due to a hardcore fan base that seems dedicated to excluding casuals and worshipping difficulty for the sake of difficulty. I've never had a chance to actually play any though. I'll look into Bloodborne a little, to see if it's something I might be interested in.

I think you've got it wrong man, difficulty for the sake of difficulty is the furthest thing from what those games are about. They're challenging, don't get me wrong, the threat of death is a vital part of the exploration, but by and large they are very fair, and rewarding to players who are observant and willing to learn the intricacies of the gameplay. If you're going into a Souls game as a new player, you will die, a lot, but that's okay. It's not about not being good enough, it's about learning.

Oh, and if you're into old school platformers play Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge, they're both fantastic.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Oct 16, '16, 9:39 pm

Well Steve, Rockstar Games just teased a brand new Red Dead game, so I KNOW you're going to want to look into that once it's made official :P

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Daz » Oct 17, '16, 3:45 am

Nothing to add other than The Last of Us is probably my favourite game of all time. Could gush about it all day long.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Oct 17, '16, 7:24 am

Steve, I know how much you love fun multiplayer games. Take a look at some videos of Rocket League and see if it's your thing. It's only 20 bucks and I've gotten like 500 hours of enjoyment out of it. It's an absolute blast, especially when playing with friends.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Oct 19, '16, 4:39 pm

So I made my first purchase today. Decided I wasn't even bothered giving No Man's Sky a chance, considering all I've heard about it. Traded it in for The Last of Us. Which I started today.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure to like this game, because it's my first PS4 experience, and also because I've wanted to play it since the first trailer came out ages ago. That's a lot of hype to live up to. Thankfully I am enjoying it so far though. The story is very engaging. Gameplay is decent, though I can see it getting a lot more fun as it goes on. Right now it still feels like I'm in the middle of a kind of lengthy tutorial. We just found Richard and the nice lady is bringing us to the guns.

Excited to play more of this. Will switch to Ratchet & Clank in a few days to see what that is like. Witcher 3 is next on the purchase list, I think, unless Dishonored 2 comes out before I'm done with the games I have now (which will almost certainly be the case now that I think about it).

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Nov 05, '16, 1:06 pm

Last of us gets better, and since you're a hippy you'll probably love the story. :nodding

Dark Souls 3 is pretty good too, as well as Bloodborne.

The new deus ex might be worth a look too.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '16, 1:12 pm

Chewy wrote:Last of us gets better, and since you're a hippy you'll probably love the story. :nodding

Your Mom's a hippy. :cussing

I'm close to finished The Last of Us, I reckon. I've enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the prettiest games I've ever played. The story is great and the game play is just as good. The world feels a little more interactive than in most other games like this, despite it being a linear story. And the intelligence shown by both enemies and your allies is what really makes it stand out to me. Everyone feels like a real character, rather than just a collection of pixels.

I'll play through this again for sure. It's turning into a favourite of mine from the last couple of generations.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Nov 10, '16, 2:01 pm

Hanley! wrote:
Chewy wrote:Last of us gets better, and since you're a hippy you'll probably love the story. :nodding

Your Mom's a hippy. :cussing

I'm close to finished The Last of Us, I reckon. I've enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the prettiest games I've ever played. The story is great and the game play is just as good. The world feels a little more interactive than in most other games like this, despite it being a linear story. And the intelligence shown by both enemies and your allies is what really makes it stand out to me. Everyone feels like a real character, rather than just a collection of pixels.

I'll play through this again for sure. It's turning into a favourite of mine from the last couple of generations.

I must have played it through like 3-4 times, just trying to look at everything and have all the optional conversations and whatnot. Such a good game.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » Nov 10, '16, 2:13 pm

I finished it last night. Really good game. I thought Ellie and Joel's relationship built really nicely throughout the game. And I loved the various set pieces that the game used to keep things fresh. The standard fending off infected and out-maneuvering hunters missions were really enjoyable, but might have gotten dull over time if they hadn't changed things up continuously. So I liked how they broke things up with weird set pieces - like trying to fend off infected while strung upside down, escaping from the armoured truck, making it up the hill to take down the sniper. There were so many memorable scenes scattered throughout.

I'll probably play it again before too long. I missed a couple of shiv doors during the game, and possibly as a result, I don't think I got any of the trophies. But I'm going to try and head out to buy Dishonored 2 tomorrow, so the replay will have to wait for a bit.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Nov 10, '16, 7:03 pm

Yea, I'm keen on Dishonored 2 as well. I won't be getting it for a couple weeks though so if you could do a review of sorts that'd be great sir.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Nov 10, '16, 7:12 pm

Cool, I'll post something up in a week once I've played plenty of it.

Cards on the table though, the first one is one of my favourite games of all time. So provided they haven't strayed too far off course, it's likely to be a very positive review.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Nov 10, '16, 8:09 pm

Hanley! wrote:Cool, I'll post something up in a week once I've played plenty of it.

Cards on the table though, the first one is one of my favourite games of all time. So provided they haven't strayed too far off course, it's likely to be a very positive review.

Same boat forme, looking forward to playing as Emily too. I love revenge stories.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Messiah » Nov 11, '16, 12:32 am

I am 100% positive you will fucking love The Witcher 3. I hope you end up playing that soon. One of my favorite games of all-time, ace on all levels.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Hanley! » Nov 11, '16, 2:24 am

Messiah wrote:I am 100% positive you will fucking love The Witcher 3. I hope you end up playing that soon. One of my favorite games of all-time, ace on all levels.

My wife bought it for me already, but I haven't got around to playing it yet. Been looking forward to it though.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Nov 11, '16, 4:14 am

The Witcher 3 was the first time I ever purchased any DLC. Once I was done with the game I just needed more.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 11, '16, 9:44 am

Viazon wrote:The Witcher 3 was the first time I ever purchased any DLC. Once I was done with the game I just needed more.

Some of the best expansion content in any RPG. Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine were both top notch.

Speaking of Witcher, I've been making my way through the books, I've finished the first three and started the fourth today. Really solid stories, think it's going to add a lot to the games the next time I play through, especially the third game as that's when they put their own ending on the main plot line of the books.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology